Who needs a vegetable chopper? Lots of people!
Whether you are a busy working mom with little time for weeknight food prep or a professional caterer performing in-home culinary masterpieces, it is important to be able to chop your vegetables quickly, easily, and consistently. The more food you must make at a sitting, the more you need a time-saving tool over simple knife skills.
Here are ten of the best vegetable chopper options that you will find anywhere. We have reviewed a number of pieces from every price range and level of need in order to help you find a great tool-- and reclaim a lot of prep time as your own.
Anything to know about choosing the right chopper for me?
It is important to note that you need to know what kind of chopping you want to do before you make your decision. Some of these items make excellent hash browns, french fries, and/or waffle fries. Others work more like a blender to puree and mince exclusively. Some people like to have lots of tools to do one job exceptionally well. If this is you, focus ahead on the mincer and blender combos as they do a single task.
If you like to have a single item to do as much as possible, we have a number of choices, both manual and electric, to consider adding to your kitchen. We have a few items that would be right at home in a professional chef's home kitchen, while other items are all about simplicity, compact size, and ease of use. No matter your needs, we have cast a wide net to bring you a buffet of ways to chop your foods.
Read on to find the best of the best!
|Product Name||Image||Bowl Capacity||Overall Rating||Details|
|KitchenAid KFC3511 3-5 Cup Food Chopper||3.5 cups||9.5||Check price|
|Braun MQ77 Multiquick Blender in Black||6 cups||10||Check price|
|Pampered Chef Cutting Edge Chopper||4 cups||9||Check price|
|Cuisinart CH4 Collection Chopper Grinder||4 cups||8||Check price|
|Maxam KTVC7 Vegetable Chopper||-||8.5||Check price|
|Black and Decker EHC650 2-Speed Chopper||3 cups||9||Check price|
|TigerChef Commercial French Fry Cutter||-||7||Check price|
|KitchenAid KFP1133OB Processor System||11 cups||8||Check price|
|Cuisinart CSB-77 Blender-Chopper with Attachments||2 cups||8.5||Check price|
|Black and Decker EHC750BD Chopper||3 cups||7.5||Check price|
KitchenAid KFC3511 3-5 Cup Food Chopper
This KitchenAid KFC3511 3-5 cup beauty performs similarly to a blender with two different settings, chop, and puree. If your main needs are smoothies and finely minced items, then this is a great choice. As a bonus, it's pretty enough to leave on the counter as a stylish accessory.
If you love to have your appliances match the aesthetic of your kitchen and you spend hours of time trying to find the perfect shade for every item, this is by far the most colorful of all of the food processor choices we have for you today.
A rainbow of colors! Wow!
The KitchenAid 3.5-Cup Food Chopper is compact and convenient for everyday use in the kitchen. The 2-Speed, one-touch operation (CHOP/PUREE) precisely chops or purees and is ideal for creating a ...
- Choose from white, cocoa silver, contour silver, cranberry, boysenberry, crystal blue, empire red, flamingo, green apple, ice, liquid graphite, majestic yellow, onyx black, tangerine, twilight blue, and watermelon.
- Two chop/blend speeds
- One-touch functionality
- Skid-free rubber feet
- 3-5 cup BPA-free bowl
- Dimensions: 7 x 9.5 x 5 inches
Basic and pretty are two good words to describe KitchenAid KFC3511. It's not fancy, but it's functional and inexpensive. If you are an occasional cook, this is a smart option to try. It can help you to enhance your cooking skills without breaking the bank.
If you are all about matching appliance color to a room or creating a kitchen item with a pop of accent color, then this food processor offers, by far, the most options of any tool we reviewed.
Nothing wrong with that!
What are the good and the bad points?
- Bowl and lid are BPA-free.
- Stainless steel blade
- Section to add liquids while blending
- Bowl can be removed and used as a mixing bowl
- 1-year warranty
- 16 different color choices to match any decor
- Powerful, one-touch functionality
- Relatively inexpensive for a motorized chopper
- Trusted appliance brand
- There is only a pulse setting, you can't leave it on.
- The lid does not fully disassemble for cleaning purposes.
- No handle to grab the bowl
KitchenAid KFC3511 3-5 Cup Food Chopper
Braun MQ77 Multiquick Blender in Black
If you are looking for the convenience of a hand blender with the functionality of a bladed food processor, this may be just the hybrid tool you are looking for. Braun MQ777 Multiquick can whisk, blend, beat, mash, julienne, shred, slice, and make fries. It also comes with a beaker and 6-Cup Food Processor.
It is a corded tool, so it is not free to blend smoothies on a beach, but it's a very nifty and versatile chopper with a 400-watt powerhouse motor.
Experience true control and power with just a squeeze of your hand. The first hand blender with Smart Speed technology, Braun's MultiQuick 7, model MQ725, helps you prep meals easier than ever. The ...
All this in one? Wow!
- 400-watt motor
- Comes with immersion tool, two bowl sizes, three cutting blades, whisk, dough paddle and more
- All non-motorized components are dishwasher safe
- 2.2 x 2.2 x 15.6 inches in dimension for the main blender component
- Splash-proof bell design
Regarding versatility, price, the reputation of the manufacturer, and power of the motor, this is one of the best choices on the market. It costs about three times the price of the less expensive models, but Braun MQ777 Multiquick offers much, much more.
When it comes to versatility, you can't beat (or whip or whisk) a hand immersion blender. Combined with a food processor, it's almost unstoppable.
- Immersion-style blender means that you can blend items in cooking pots and mixing bowls
- It offers 11 attachments for wide functionality
- The speed of the tool is determined by how hard you grip, making it intuitive to use
- 400-watt engine is one of the most powerful of its class
- Easy-to-clean components
- Highly-respected manufacturer of kitchen tools and other appliances
- Attractive, brushed stainless design
- Bell-shaped, anti-splash blending shaft
- Accessories can be purchased separately to expand capabilities
- Chopping disks are difficult for some to use
- Some difficulty contacting customer service in one case
- A lot of pieces to keep track of
Braun MQ77 Multiquick Blender in Black
Pampered Chef Cutting Edge Chopper
The Pampered Chef Chopper has long been known for bringing innovative culinary ideas to homes throughout the country. This food chopper is one of their signature patented items, and it is one of the world's bestselling manual home food choppers. The device is simple; it looks a lot like a spring-loaded plunger.
The zigzag-shaped blade is deployed when you press down on the handle. When it lifts, the blade rotates slightly so that it cuts in a different location the next time you push it down. These tools are simple, long-lasting, cleverly designed, and easy to clean. While their price goes into the range of some low-end motorized choppers, devotees claim that this is well worth it.
The Pampered Chef Cutting Edge Food Chopper. Details 9Â¼" height, 3Â¼" diameter. Plunger has soft top to make chopping comfortable. Flexible cap doubles as storage cover and chopping surface for ...
Work with a licensed distributor and try before you buy!
- Stainless steel blade
- Top shelf dishwasher safe
- 3.8 x 3.8 x 9.5 inches
Pampered Chef Chopper is the item that made the Pampered Chef famous. It continues to be one of their best-selling products for good reason. However, there are a large number of customers who reviewed and reminded people that they will only get the warranty if they buy through a person that is a Pampered Chef representative.
Millions of households love it, you will too!
- Stainless Steel Blade
- Can be washed on the top rack of any dishwasher
- Flexible cap can also be used as a storage cover
- Blade rotates with each chop for fast, fine cutting
- Reputable brand that is a household favorite
- You must buy from a Pampered Chef consultant to get a warranty
- Does not chop ice
Cuisinart CH4 Collection Chopper Grinder
This Cuisinart CH-4 4-cup chopper/grinder is simple to use and great for a kitchen of any size. It works similar to a food processor but offers a smaller, more portable option that is perfect for limited storage and tiny kitchens. Its durable 4-cup work bowl offers plenty of room to make sauces, baby foods, pizza toppings, and more.
The unit has a very cool auto-reversing SmartPower blade, a patented design that offers a sharp edge designed for chopping and pureeing softer food items and a blunt, more durable edge that is designed for grinding up hard things like nuts and spices.
Its BladeLock system is a great safety feature for kids. It keeps the blade securely in place during both use and pouring. A touchpad control panel lets you choose between "chop" and "grind" options. The cup can be attached and removed by way of an easy-grip handle, and all of the parts are dishwasher-safe to simplify cleanup. The chopper comes with a spatula and recipe book. There is a limited 18-month warranty on this chopper.
A welcome addition to any busy kitchen, this easy-to-use 4-cup chopper/grinder works a lot like a regular food processor, but without having to lug out the full-size machine. Its durable 4-cup work ...
The two-way blade is one of the smartest features of any product!
- 9.4 x 5.5 x 7.9 inches in dimension
- Two-speed touchpad design
- Two-way stainless blade
- Four color options: white, silver, black, red
A great choice for a simple, functional, small food processor. Bonus points for the double-sided blade. Overall, Cuisinart CH-4 4-cup chopper/grinder is an innovative option from a well-known and respected appliance company that is worth a try for anyone who has occasional blending needs and a small kitchen.
Does that sound like you? See for yourself!
- All pieces dishwasher safe
- Reversible blade to keep the sharp side of the blade sharp while offering a dull side for hard items
- Four colors to choose from
- Small size is perfect for small dishes, storage spaces, and kitchens
- Relatively inexpensive
- One-touch functionality
- Handle to easily attach and detach bowl
- 18-month limited warranty
- Plastic will melt if left near a stove
- Does not work well with parmesan cheese blocks and similarly textured items
Cuisinart CH4 Collection Chopper Grinder
Maxam KTVC7 Vegetable Chopper
If you like the work of a grater but the ease of a manual food processor, this Maxam vegetable chopper may be the perfect compromise. The piece suctions to a table where you choose one of five cones to place into the machine. Each cone has a surface that is similar to one of the tools found on a four-sided grater.
The blades include a Shredder, Stringer, French Fry Cutter, Sliver, and Waffler. The genius comes with the fact that items get placed into a push-down container and you grate by turning the crank. This means faster grating and no more bloody knuckles!
A healthy eating lifestyle means cooking and eating at home, preparing good meals with food that is good for you. A delicious meal doesn’t have to take hours to prepare, and the Maxam Vegetable ...
Professional and injury proof? Isn’t that what you need?
- Five interchangeable stainless disks to shred, julienne, waffle, french fry, and slice
- Easy-use hand-crank design
- Fully dishwasher safe
- 10.5 x 13.8 x 10.8 inches in dimension
At about double the previous items, this is a more expensive item. However, Maxam vegetable chopper is much more like something that a professional kitchen would use. It also offers thin slices, waffle fries, and french fries, in addition to grated items. In fact, if you love waffle fries, this is probably the best choice for you.
5 cuts for the price of 2? What a deal!
- All-Stainless and easy to clean
- Versatile with 5 chopping blade choices: Shredder, Stringer, French Fry Cutter, Sliver, and Waffler
- Removeable finger guard for safety
- Chrome finish is easy to clean and attractive
- Dishwasher-safe cones
- Tripod base with suction cups for stability
- Easy for those with reduced arm strength to use
- Requires some time to assemble
- Cuts are mushy if blades are not sharpened
- Functional Electric Skillets Review - The MasterChef In Your House (2017)
- Cool Milk Frothers Review - Make Perfect Choice in 2017
Black and Decker EHC650 2-Speed Chopper
If you like big, easy grips, this is a great choice in food processors. Black & Decker EHC650 is a 3-cup capacity model that does quick mincing or liquefying. It can mince onions or blend tomato soup. The two speeds can be chosen via two large buttons at the top of the lid that also functions as the handle. It is designed to be a one-handed tool for multitasking cooks.
This powerful unit gives you 2 speeds to chop or mince onions in seconds. Ergonomically designed, it's comfortable and easy to blast through everyday chopping tasks. Perfect when you only need a ...
A powerful tool from a famous producer of power tools!
- Top blade and grip for easy use
- 3-cup capacity bowl with storage lid that doubles as skid-free surface
- Two speeds for mincing or blending
- 5.5 x 5.5 x 9.1 inches in dimension
Black & Decker EHC650 is more like a stick blender in a bowl than a number of the other processors with base motors. This means a better storage bowl and a smaller overall piece. The price is higher, but so is the wattage on the motor. A good product overall from this famed designer of power tools.
If you need something light and easy to store that is comfortable for arthritic or otherwise weakened hands, this is a simple and powerful tool to choose.
If you always wanted power tools in your kitchen, here's your chance!
- Chops or blends quickly and easily
- Big grip designed for one-handed use
- Stainless-steel blade and parts that are dishwasher safe
- Rubber base can be a storage lid for the bowl
- 150-watt motor
- There is a small pin, which is easily lost and can make the item unusable
- Plastic components warp in the lower part of the dishwasher
TigerChef Commercial French Fry Cutter
Similar to the Maxam, this is a commercial-style TigerChef kitchen tool that is designed to chop food quickly with little fanfare. It offers stainless pieces and a heavy-duty lever designed to do all the work to push food through the cutting blocks. This is the only piece that offers add-on components, and you can choose your size of cut. Choose from square fries at diameters of one-half inch, one-quarter inch, or three-eighths of an inch.
You can also cut items into four even wedges. For ease of cleaning, you can buy cleaning tools that pop all food back out of the blades and serve as blade storage guards.
Tiger Chef’s Commercial French Fry Cutter helps you create the best tasting French fries or sweet potato fries! This reliable, heavy duty, all metal cutter turns out uniform fries, zucchini sticks ...
- Three french fry sizes and a four-wedge design
- Aluminum cutting blades
- Cast-iron frame with stainless pushing rod.
- 12 pounds in weight
- Dimensions: 10.5 x 22 x 9.8 inches
Create your own home diner with pro tools like this!
- Powerful lever to push food through professional-grade blades
- Skid-free suction cup feet
- Choose from four different blade styles. Purchase just one or buy all.
- Heavy-duty cast iron body with a stainless rod for pushing food.
- Must be oiled regularly or the aluminum cutting blades will oxidize with black powder
TigerChef Commercial French Fry Cutter
KitchenAid KFP1133OB 11-cup Processor System
KitchenAid KFP1133OB is a larger food processor that allows for a wide variety of functions. It chops and blends like a blender or base-bladed food processor. It also allows you to push food into the processor through a spinning blade on the top. The blade can be adjusted to perform three different chop functions.
Three sizes of chute allow you to choose the size that works best for the food you're processing. A dough paddle rounds out the functionality of this nifty kitchen tool to make it an excellent baking assistant. The processor comes in four choices of colors; red, black, white, and silver and are designed to go with almost any kitchen decor.
The KitchenAid 11-Cup Food Processor with the exclusive ExactSlice system, slices from thick to thin with one slide of the lever. The multiple optimized speeds and distinctly designed stainless steel ...
The classic food processor that became a kitchen staple for a reason! Who doesn't like that?
- Four colors to choose from
- Stainless blade
- Washable bowl
- Five different slicing/chopping/blending features
- Three sizes of food chute for efficient processing
- Dimensions: 10.6 x 10.2 x 16 inches
If you need one tool to do it all, KitchenAid KFP1133OB is one of the best choices on the list. If you need to make food regularly for large groups of people, this offers almost four times the capacity of some of the other choppers on the list.
Want to do it all? Look no further. Want to know more? Check this out!
- Great for large amounts of food with 11-cup capabilities
- Four colors to work with all kitchen decors
- Blends, chops, kneads dough, and shreds to three different sizes
- Parts are top-shelf dishwasher safe
- Three sizes of food chute for efficient chopping
- Leak-resistant ring
- Thickness lever allows you to adjust chop width as well as size
- Some have complained that the motor isn't powerful enough
- Some claim the rubber seal can leak when washed in the lower part of the dishwasher
- The ends of food can fit between cracks when shredding, leaving larger chunks
- Larger and therefore requires more storage space
- The buttons are very hard to push; some reported needing two hands worth of pressure to operate them.
Cuisinart CSB-77 Blender-Chopper with Attachments
One of the least fun parts of cooking with a food processor is moving your items from one container to the next. Thus the beauty of the immersion blender. Cuisinart CSB-77 includes all the best. Essentially a stick with a blade, this allows you to do the same chopping and blending as a blender or base-bladed food processor without pouring it from its intended container. Blend a simmering soup without pouring a large, hot pot. Whip cream in its final serving bowl.
There are endless possibilities for this battery-powered beaut. At 200 watts, this baby is a workhorse, too. If you like the mixing container, don't worry. It comes with its own 2-cup version that is perfectly designed for storage as well.
Enter your model number to make sure this fits.; 200-watt immersion hand blender housed in brushed stainless steel; Powerful chopper and whisk attachments provide added versatility; Lightweight ...
- 200-watt motor
- Dishwasher safe bowl.
- Stainless blade can be washed by blending in soapy water
- Brushed stainless design
- Whisk attachment
- 16-ounce measuring cup included
- 5.4 x 5.4 x 3.9 inches in dimension
Cuisinart CSB-77 is by far the most portable of the electric choices. Immersion blenders are also a very popular tool used by gourmet chefs. While this is a pro-quality idea, it does not appear to be a pro-quality tool. It is, however, a convenient and useful home tool.
Want to blend on the go? This is for you. Read on to learn more!
- 200-watt powerful motor can blend large loads with ease
- Includes 16 oz. measuring mixer and 2-cup mixing container
- Includes chopper, blender, and whisk attachments
- 3-year limited warranty
- One-touch on-off button
- Soft silicone handle designed for comfort
- Blade is stainless and dishwasher safe
- Light and portable
- Quality appears hit and miss- 20 percent of over 800 reviews were negative.
- Whisk function appears to be difficult to use
- Some have had problem with plastic components breaking easily
- Some have complained about a burned-out motor (but an excellent warranty when this happened).
Cuisinart CSB-77 Blender-Chopper with Attachments
Black and Decker EHC750BD 3-Cup Chopper
Another from this power tool giant, this Black and Decker 3-cup chopper has the same chop and store capabilities with a blade and motor that are removed from the top. Two easy-push buttons allow you to choose from high and low speed with a single hand. The lid is tapered to be easy to hold and turn with one hand.
The bowl is top-shelf dishwasher safe, and the stainless blade is also safe for the dishwasher. The two-tier blade lets you choose between chopping and mixing.
Chop and mince easily using multiple features on this 3 Cup Ergo Chopper from Black and Decker (model EHC750BD). Perfect for fruits, veggies, salsas and more, this chopper features high and low pulse ...
- 5.5 x 5.5 x 9.1 inches
- Two-speed, one-touch, two-button design
- Motorized lid with ergonomic grip
- Rubber base doubles as a storage lid for the 3-cup bowl
- Bowl and blade are dishwasher safe
A bad batch of blenders gave Black and Decker 3-cup chopper a lower reputation than it necessarily deserves. Those who got the good batch rave about the power, ease, ergonomic design, and secure storage. For a small blender, puree-style chopper, this is one of the best.
Easy to use and powerful? Where do I sign up?
- Ergonomic design with big, easy buttons
- Easy setup that takes seconds
- Bowl is designed for storage with a non-slip base that doubles as a fitted lid
- Washable items
- Top-down blade is a particularly safe design
- Two-tier blade to customize chop setting
- Motor is from a reputable builder of power tools
- Some hit-and-miss quality problems with new motors not functioning. The warranty program can easily replace the defective item with no hassle.
How We Tested
All information is based on hundreds to thousands of online internet reviews. We looked at the most common accolades and complaints and used them to present a composite view of the product. While one tested sample can share some information, it cannot tell you what may happen in a "bad batch" or how often that occurs.
This is why we prefer to look at overall satisfaction and common complaints. This also gives us an idea of how well the tool will perform over a series of different kinds of tasks.
But what if it doesn't last?
How To Choose
Choosing the right food chopper is a matter of your needs, your budget, and your preferences. Consider the kind of food you will need to prep. Think big when you do this-- if you have all of your friends and family out every Thanksgiving and you need to prep dinner for 30, use this as your standard. Other needs to consider include whether you have a tiny kitchen and no room for a big appliance.
The budget should be looked at in two ways. First, can you afford it? Second, can you afford to buy it twice? While you may not need the gourmet professional version, if you skimp completely on quality, you may end up paying twice as much to replace the first version that you buy.
The first two categories will help you narrow the field. When you get to the range of final options, consider which one will bring you the most pleasure to use. It may be easier on your arthritic hands or safe enough to have your children learn to use it. Once you find the one that fits these preferences, the choice becomes simple.
How easy is that?
With such a variety of food choppers, the way in which you clean them will vary a lot, too. Many of the choppers can be cleaned in the dishwasher or will have pieces that can be cleaned in the dishwasher, but not all. Those with plastic parts that are dishwasher-safe may not be rated for the bottom part of a dishwasher, as that area gets hotter and can warp the plastic.
Dishwashers alone are not always great at getting garlic or cheese out of tiny grater holes (though if the pieces are made from stainless steel, it's perfectly safe to try). Be careful of anything that can be plugged in- though it can take some water on the outside, submerging it will likely kill it and void your warranty. When disassembling a chopper for cleaning, be sure to read the instructions, as there may be pieces that come apart in a specific way and can help you to prevent a buildup of trapped food particles.
I'm sure you can agree, this is an important piece for any busy cook!
Electric Chopper for Vegetables
Electric vegetable choppers tend to come in two basic styles: those that are similar to a blender or a food processor and those that offer a chopping blade on a submersible stick. Both have their purpose; food processors are better for items that can be easily transferred from one place to another and larger dishes.
Stick blenders are better to do a smoothie in a cup or to add a little softness to a stovetop stew (though be sure to check the temperature rating on it before putting it into something too hot). Both pieces tend to offer a corded model, but only the stick blender will offer a battery-powered version, making it a good choice to use on camping trips or to bring to a picnic.
Want ease? Go electric!
Chopper slicers are a favorite choice of professional chefs as they offer uniform cutting and a simple, sharp device. They can work like a french fry cutter where you push the food directly down over a shaped hole or like a mandoline that carries your food up and down over extremely sharp blades.
Chopper slicers are graded by their materials (professional pieces tend to be all metal for durability, strength, and ease of cleaning while home versions may have some plastic for lightness and aesthetics). Some will have interchangeable blades to allow you to choose from a number of different shapes and vegetables, while others, like a french fry press, will do one thing quickly and efficiently.
The professional versions tend to be bigger and sharper and will require more maintenance to keep the blade sharp. But if you cook a lot and treat it well, it will reward you with a very long lifespan.
As versatile as a knife and twice as quick!
Manual choppers work similarly to food processors but they don't require electricity to function. They may be powered by a geared motor that works by turning a crank, by a pull-string, or by a spring-loaded mechanism. All of these styles offer some mechanical advantage compared to a knife. This can make it easier to chop dense vegetables like ginger or squash or to grind items like cheese quickly and easily.
Manual choppers are often fully dishwasher-safe, due to the fact that there are no electrical components that would be at risk from the water. It is best to get them in stainless steel, as they are less likely to rust from regular use.
Get all the power of electric with the pull of a string or the turn of a crank with these powerhouses!
Question: How old do you think an item must be to be vintage?
The term "vintage" can mean a number of different eras. While you can find the prototypes to many different kinds of vegetable choppers dating back one or more generations, it is a very different thing to grab a food processor from the 1980s compared to a hand-crank version from the 1930's, compared to a french rocking herb chopper from the 17th century. Here is a quick look at some of the basic technology that was used for chopping:
- The rocking knife: This item has a curved blade and may have one or two handles. It often had a decorative heart or another cutout.
- Graters: These were often rough pieces of metal that were punctured (at first) by hand.
- Hand-crank graters: The hand-crank meat grinder was invented in the 18th century in Germany. It was quickly adapted for vegetables as well.
- Electric food processors: This was invented right around WWII.
Keep in mind that older choppers are not made of stainless steel and they will require regular sharpening and oiling to keep them sharp and rust-free. If you're not sure how to do this, visit a local kitchen store and they can coach you on how to properly care for this and any other knives that you might have.
Cooking like the pioneers? Amazing!
OXO Vegetable Chopper
OXO brand items are best-known for having oversized, fleshy silicone handles. They were invented by a man who wanted to provide kitchen tools that were easier for his wife, who suffered from rheumatoid arthritis, to grasp. The idea caught on and was marketed first to older customers.
However, they also promote a reduction in hand fatigue and come in bold, modern designs. This has turned OXO into one of the world's favorite newcomers to the kitchen tool industry.
Maxam Vegetable Chopper
Maxam vegetable choppers have a unique design that allows you to grate items with a round grating surface that turns via a hand crank while you press down on the compartment where the food is stored. This is much safer than grating by hand because you are at no risk to get your skin caught in the grater. The five blade choices that come with most models include the Shredder, Stringer, French Fry Cutter, Sliver, and Waffler. It works well with most vegetables, cheeses, and even nuts.
Who doesn't like that?
Commercial Vegetable Chopper
Commercial vegetable choppers must be able to be used every day for many hours and to process a high volume of food. This means that they have a number of qualities that set them apart from home vegetable choppers:
Does a commercial chopper sound like you?
- They are large: Many of these choppers are big. This makes them more durable, easy to find, and capable of working with large pieces of food quickly.
- They are durable: This is an item that will get 6-18 hours of use for 6-7 days per week. Most restaurants can't afford to replace these items more than once every 5 years or so. They must be built to work hard and last long. Some of these items will have a cast iron frame to make them heavy and easy to manhandle. Blades may be the only replaceable part on them, while the rest of the frame can last for generations.
- They are easy to clean: Health inspectors require that these items be completely free of anything that can taint food. This means that they will be simply designed to be able to break down and be fully, quickly cleaned. Plastics are harder to keep clean, as a general rule, than metals, which is why you see little to no plastic in a commercial kitchen. Instead, they are likely to be all metal, most likely stainless, and not have any paint or enamel that could risk being chipped and put into food. If your goal is to have a beautiful, stylized kitchen, you may find that the professional-grade items are a little too utilitarian for your tastes.
- They will be simple: Home cooks often have appliances that will help them make fancy cuts in the kitchen. This is typically easier for chefs to do with a knife. Their choppers tend to do one or a small number of basic things and that is all.
- They tend to be expensive: Commercial items cost more because they are expected to perform at a different level. While you can purchase one for your home, it won't be a bargain.
If something goes wrong with your food chopper, it is important to understand how your warranty works in order to be able to get replacement parts, refunds, or any assistance. Every company may have a different policy on the parts that it covers and under what circumstances.
Here are some important questions to ask about the warranty before you buy:
- What parts of the food chopper are covered? Is it just the blade, for example, or are the plastic pieces covered as well?
- Under what conditions is the piece warrantied? This can range from a warranty for defective parts only or a no-questions-asked return policy.
- How long is the warranty?
- What kind of return or replacement policy is there? Do you get your money back or a replacement item? Or do you get a replacement part that you must install?
- Do you need to register your item and proof of purchase to be eligible? Many people forget to do this. When they need to return an item, their receipt may be long gone as a result.
Some credit card companies will also offer some protection on items that you purchase with their card.
You've gotta love that!
While there can only be one winner of the competition, these items vary so much that you must remember that it may or may not be the best item for you. We compared all ten of the best food chopper options based on a number of factors.
- Power of motor
- Types of chop available
- Size and portability
- Reputation of manufacturer
- Satisfaction of customers
- Ease of cleaning
- Cost of item
- Likelihood to be used in both commercial and home kitchens
- Ease of setup, takedown, and one-touch use
- Ability to find this useful at a number of different cooking skill levels
When all of these factors were considered together, there was one food chopper that kept coming back to the top of the list. The Braun MQ777 Multiquick 7 Hand Blender was portable, small, easy to store, easy to clean, versatile in the number of chop types available, high customer satisfaction percentage, and more. While the cost was more than many other choices, the quality of the manufacturer, power of the motor, and the number of included accessories (a whopping 11 with six completely different chopping and mixing functions!) all justify the price.
Braun is a company that is known to last a generation, and many of the reviewers were replacing an item that had served them for decades. Quality, ease of use, and the number of features made this clearly the best of the best.