If you have ever had a bad back, you understand the pain and stress that comes with a chair that doesn't correctly support the parts of your body that struggle. This is especially frustrating if you are someone for whom standing and walking has become really painful. Not all easy chairs are easy on the back, and some are better for certain problems, like lumbar support, while others are better for mid or upper back pain.
Some offer support for medical problems, while others encourage the good posture needed to prevent future back pain issues.
So how do you choose?
We have identified 10 great options that offer a number of different, helpful features. Read on and discover which of these chairs might be the best recliner for back pain and the ticket to some genuine relief.
Let us help you take the pain out of choosing a chair for back pain!
|Product Name||Image||Dimensions||Overall Rating||Details|
|Esright Massage Recliner Chair||33.1" x 35.8" x 43.2"||10||Check price|
|Baby Relax Mikayla Swivel Gliding Recliner||41.75" x 30" x 37"||9.5||Check price|
|Relaxzen 60-425111 Leisure Recliner Chair with 8-Motor Massage & Heat||32.3" x 27.2" x 17.7"||9||Check price|
|Lucas Gray Fabric Modern Sleek Recliner Club Chair||33" x 27" x 35"||9||Check price|
|Dorel Living Padded Dual Massage Recliner||41" x 36" x 40"||8.5||Check price|
|Coaster Home Furnishings Modern Transitional Power Lift Wall Hugger Recliner||37" x 39" x 41"||9||Check price|
|Homelegance 9668BLK-1 Glider Reclining Chair, Black Bonded Leather||42" x 38.5" x 40"||8.5||Check price|
|DaVinci Piper All-Purpose Upholstered Recliner with Cream Piping, Grey Finish||30.7" x 33.5" x 38.5"||8||Check price|
|Recliner Power Lift Chair with Massage Heat with Control by Outdoor Sunshine||33'' x 34'' x 43''||7.5||Check price|
|Pulaski Power Home Theatre Recliner||38.0" x 39.5" x 43.0"||9.5||Check price|
Esright Massage Recliner Chair Heated PU Leather Ergonomic Lounge 360 Degree Swivel (Black)
If you want a chair that truly does it all, look no further than the Esright Massage Recliner Chair Heated PU Leather Ergonomic Lounge 360 Degree Swivel. It offers all the bells and whistles of other models on the list, plus more.
And what features does it have?
- Can recline, heat, massage, and vibrate- this chair does it all!
- Sturdy leather backed with strong, durable foam
- Chair offers two cupholders and four storage pockets for magazines, remotes, and more
- Can swivel almost 360 degrees and recline back 150 degrees
- Five massage zones with two power levels
- Comes with remote control
- Product dimensions: 33.1"(L) * 35.8"(W) * 43.2"(H)
- Lumbar heat function
A solid all-in-one that offers a host of features plus real leather.
This great leather chair will give you motion, massage, heat, and anything else you want. It does this all relatively well (see above for comments about all-in-ones) but the massage function here is more of a pleasant vibration than an in-depth shiatsu massage. The quality of this chair is far greater than the price, and it's got a lot of positive reviews.
A great option for sore, tired muscles! What comes next?
- Offers many different motions- rock, swivel, recline
- Offers heat, massage, and vibration
- Easy for one person to assemble
- Real leather materials
- Comes shipped in two boxes which can arrive a day apart
- Small cupholders
- Heat won't work unless massage is on
Baby Relax Mikayla Swivel Gliding Recliner
The Baby Relax Mikayla Swivel Gliding Recliner is designed for nursing mothers and a perfect way to relieve the pains caused by a recovering post-pregnancy body. This chair is a great hybrid between a rocker, recliner, and swivel chair.
It has a swivel glider, which is a position that can offer the gentle rocking motion that babies got used to in the womb while offering the added motions of recline and swivel. (Though you probably don't want to do all three at the same time).
A nice start to our list. What features does it have?
- Track arm design
- Button tufting and welt trim
- Supportive seat made from spring core foam
- Recliner size: 41.75" x 30" x 37"
- Comes in three shades of gray and taupe
A supportive back for all heights requires some strength to comfortably use.
This is a great chair for anyone who has a sore back because of pregnancy or weird feeding, nursing, and newborn napping positions. It is really designed to be a nursery chair most of all, and because of it, it requires a bit of power to move it out of the recline mode.
If your back pain does not cause or come with reduced overall strength, it's a great choice. If you do have mobility issues, this may not be the chair for you.
A great choice for new parents and those recovering from injury. So how does this chair do overall?
- Backrest height is tall enough for both upper back pain and for tall parents over 6 feet.
- Comes shipped in an easy-to-install format
- Offers three convenient choices of motion
- Soft, supportive seat
- Can make a clicking noise when rocking
- Takes some force to go from a reclined to upright position
Relaxzen 60-425111 Leisure Recliner Chair with 8-Motor Massage & Heat
The Relaxzen 60-425111 Leisure Recliner Chair with 8-Motor Massage & Heat has the look of an impressive leather recliner with a few special additions.
It offers a series of eight massage motors that work from the neck to the calves to calm knotted muscles. You can target specific areas or give yourself a full-body rubdown. It offers swivel, recline, and recline tension settings to give you a range of positioning and movement options.
So what are the features?
- High-quality vegan leather
- 8-motor massage capabilities
- 9 pre-programmed modes and five target zones
- Heat in the lumbar region
- 21-inch x 22.5-inch sitting area
- 27.5 inch tall and 22-inch wide backrest
- Supports up to 300 pounds
- Supports full back for users up to 5 foot 10 inches in height
- Includes a massaging ottoman for the calves
A great choice for small and medium-sized frames.
This leather chair is a great option for anyone who is under six feet and wants massage and not positioning to be the solution to their back pain. A hard day working with your hands or slumped over a keyboard can be rubbed away with the flick of a remote.
Athletes who play hard every day can rub out their soreness, and those who get angry muscles from a twice-annual hard workout can find the benefit as well.
Again, this probably isn't the best choice for those whose back pain has come from medical reasons with reduced mobility. It is, however, a great choice for those who retain their full strength and suffer from aching muscles at the end of the day.
Wow. Pretty great. But what else is there?
- Comfortable massage chair
- Offers comfort from neck and shoulders to calves
- Added heat for the lumbar region
- Attractive, functional, and relaxing
- Not great for those over 6 feet
- Takes some time to assemble
Lucas Gray Fabric Modern Sleek Recliner Club Chair
The Lucas Gray Fabric Modern Sleek Recliner Club Chair is a good looking, modern, minimalistic recliner that is designed to hold people well into the 200-pound range with ease.
The design is simple and contemporary and it comes in a number of light, neutral shades. If you want the comfort of a recliner without the styling issues that some find that they have, consider the Lucas.
What features does it offer?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of this recliner?
- Contemporary decor with neutral tones and light-colored fabric
- Well-padded in seat, back, and arms
- Three different positions- fully reclined, fully upright, and half reclined
- Sturdy hardwood frame and legs
- Dimensions: 33"D x 27"W x 35"H Seat: 22"D x 20"W x 16.5"H, Length/Depth when fully reclined: 61"
A good recliner for what it is, which is simple.
So this is a great recliner if you're looking for something that looks modern, doesn't look like a La-Z-Boy, and will give you a couple different positions to recline with.
It's not so great if you need medical assistance for your back pain or you want additional treatment options for heat and massage. It's a good looking chair that doesn't resemble the typical recliner, so that's a bonus.
What's next? Read on and find out!
- Simple design and construction
- Good price for an item with no bells and whistles
- Three seating positions
- Neutral to match most decor
- No special features for additional back treatment
Dorel Living Padded Dual Massage Recliner
An overstuffed chair with programmable massage zones!
If the best thing for your back pain is a pair of magic fingers and a plush, overstuffed piece of furniture, look no further. The Dorel Living Padded Dual Massage Recliner fits the bill on every count. It offers a series of programming options for location and speed of massage, and is comfortably stuffed on every surface.
What features does this magic massager offer?
- Massage offers a series of zone controls with your choice of high or low speeds
- Manual recline feature at the touch of a lever
- Chair pad has extra stuffing to support calves and knees
- Can recline and rock
- Seat cushions are sewn in for durability
- Cover is made from easy-clean microfiber fabric
If you're looking for a chair that can do it all, this is a good one to consider.
This is the perfect chair for anyone who wants something that can do a little bit of everything. It's not the perfect chair for someone who wants a chair that is the best at any one of the things it can do. This is often the case, however.
All-in-ones fit a lot of needs, especially when it comes to having the space for only one chair. But it often comes at a cost of performance level of any one task. If you're looking for the best chair to massage you, to recline with when you have a bad back, and to rock with, then buy three chairs. If you're looking for a single piece that will do each of these things relatively well, then buy this chair.
Almost halfway through! Check out what else we have for you!
- Many different options for massage settings
- Easy to clean
- Foam stuffing makes it comfortable on every surface
- Choose between reclining and rocking, use massage with either setting
- Comfortably fits all people, including those who are tall
- Relatively easy to assemble
- A little bit fragile; can't handle a rough household
Coaster Home Furnishings Modern Transitional Power Lift Wall Hugger Recliner Chair with Emergency Backup
The Coaster Home Furnishings Modern Transitional Power Lift Wall Hugger Recliner Chair with Emergency Backup is a great choice for those whose back problems make it difficult to recline and reposition without help. The Coaster Home chair offers both a recline and lift function, both of which can be accessed by the remote tethered to the chair.
What are the features?
- Bustle back in automotive style
- Thick armrest and velvet cover
- Remote-controlled lift and recline functions
- Sewn-in pocket for remote control storage
- 37 x 39 x 41 inches
If your back problems go with weakness, this is an excellent choice.
If you suffer from a debilitating injury, have a disability, or you or the intended person for this chair is getting up in age, the auto-recline and auto-lift functions on this chair can be a godsend. It's a good overall chair that is plush and comfortable.
And how does it measure up?
- Great for reduced mobility
- Remote control is easy to find in the built-in pocket
- Comfortable without being hard or overstuffed
- Easy to assemble
- Some issues with breaking after six months when you don't buy extended warranty- not the norm but a few examples
Homelegance 9668BLK-1 Glider Reclining Chair, Black Bonded Leather
The glider-recliner position combo by Homelegance is a great option for those who like the gentle motion of a rock and the position change of a recline. It's got a high-quality, luxe look with bonded leather that's easy to clean. If you're someone who prefers to have perfectly matched living room furniture, this chair comes with the option to purchase a matching sofa and loveseat.
What features does this recliner/glider offer me?
- A bonded leather outside with a cotton/poly stuffing blend
- Rolled arms and channel-tufted design. Nailhead accents.
- Pull the lever to recline, glide when it's upright
- Dimensions: 42" x 38.5" x 40"H
A nice chair to add to your living room decor. This is a great chair if you're looking for an affordable recliner with a variety of motion options that you can blend with additional furniture.
The modern leather finish makes a great statement in the living room, man cave, or rec room. It's got a neutral to a masculine aesthetic that makes a statement while easing your sore back.
What are the benefits and drawbacks of this recliner glider? There is a lot to love about this chair!
- A solid piece with real leather craftsmanship
- Works well and lasts a long time
- Offers additional complementary decor items to create a full, matching living room set
- Very comfortable
- Both gliding and reclining options
- Not an overly durable chair- not great for roughhousing.
DaVinci Piper All-Purpose Upholstered Recliner with Cream Piping, Grey Finish
Swivel, recline, and more with the DaVinci Piper All-Purpose Upholstered Recliner with Cream Piping. It offers a modern, squared-off look and hidden recline function for added chicness. If you love recliners but hate the look of them, this might be just the ticket.
What features does it have? And what are the best and worst features of this chair?
- Covered with durable, washable heather polyester
- Recline mechanism is smooth and easy to use, yet hidden for an added decor element
- Metal base offers gliding and 360-degree pivot capabilities
- Back is full and offers an added lumbar cushion
A stylish nursery or living room chair that works well for a series of motions
This is a great chair if you're looking for something pretty that looks good in most rooms, is neutral and not overly complicated. It's not the end-all for a day of tired muscles, but it's a comfortable place to rest your weary bones for a relaxing rock or to calm a fussy infant.
Two more to go. What's the final word on this chair or will the next chair be your new favorite?
- A stylish chair that will look good in both living rooms and nurseries
- Pivot, glide, or recline
- Durable and washable cover
- Extra lumbar support
- Firm back
- Great for nursing parents
- A little big for small frames- feet won't hit the floor
DaVinci Olive Upholstered Swivel Glider
Recliner Power Lift Chair with Massage Heat with Control by Outdoor Sunshine
The Recliner Power Lift Chair with Massage Heat with Control by Outdoor Sunshine is a great all-in-one with massage, heat, and power lift. Leather padding makes it comfortable and tough, while electronic features give you the ability to do whatever you need at the push of a remote control button.
And what are the features?
- Leather cover and thick seat and back padding
- Overall size of 33''*34''*43'' (L*W*H).
- Five different massage modes, two points to massage at each body point
- Timed massage intervals in 15-minute increments
- Lumbar heating also offered
- Holds up to 280 pounds
A strong, all-around good chair and great for those who can't get in and out of a seated position easily
This is one of the most all-inclusive options on our list. If you need to be able to get in and out of a chair with help, plus you want vibration, rocker, heat, massage, and cupholders, then you can't do much better than this.
An attractive brown leather cover makes it somewhat spillproof and easy to clean. It looks smart, clean, and blends with most decor. All-in-all, a strong contender.
And how does it measure up overall?
- Built-in cupholders
- Great for those who are slow to move around
- Nice feel and durable cover
- Heat, massage, and recline all are remote-control activated
- Some issues with customer service if it breaks after warranty. This seems rare, however.
Pulaski Power Home Theatre Recliner
Discover the power of this recliner, and use it to charge your devices, to boot!
If you're on bedrest (or recliner-rest) with only the company of your favorite device, keep it powered up with the USB ports on this chair. There's also a power outlet for your laptop and a swivel tray to hold your device or meal. Reclining is also power-activated.
What features does it have? And what benefits and drawbacks does it offer?
- Recline at the touch of a button
- Offers outlet and USB charging
- Swivel tray holds your meal or your laptop and moves out of the way when needed
- Recline positions are unlimited between fully upright and fully reclined
- Easy-clean, spillproof faux leather cover
- Chair dimensions: 38.0" L x 39.5" W x 43.0" H
- Seat dimensions: 24.41” W x 20.67” D x 20.08” H
An innovative choice that gets high marks from its users and is a must for tech-heads.
This is a strong recliner choice that's a great option if you're constantly on your device when sitting. The tray offers you additional posture help to keep your back and shoulders in the right location when online, and the power options keep you charged without a tripping hazard of cords coming from your chair.
Some great choices! What else should I know?
- Great for those who can't live without their powered devices
- A more comfortable alternative to a desk for online browsing with a laptop
- Built-in cupholders for added convenience
- Power recline means endless position options, not stuck at one or two manual settings
- Power recline takes no strength to operate
- Super comfortable
- Some problems with the vinyl rubbing off in high-wear locations after a year or so
How to Buy the Best Recliner for Back Pain
What makes a recliner good for back pain?
Basically, there are a few things that can make a recliner help your back pain. Since back pain can come from many different sources, including bad posture, heavy exercise, injury, medical conditions like arthritis and osteoporosis, aging, and more, one kind of relief will not help everyone.
Here are a few things to consider:
- Posture: A good chair should have you sitting comfortably without slumping. You should feel relaxed and somewhat stretched.
- Massage: Many back pain chairs offer a massage feature for back pain caused by tired or knotted muscles
- Heat and Lumbar Support: The lower back is a common place for you to have problems with your back. Heat and support here can help to ease this.
- Power Options: For those with mobility issues, lift and power recline can help to prevent further injury and make getting up and down an easier task
How Can Recliners Help People Who Suffer?
What does a recliner do?
Much of the pain that you feel in your back can be caused by compression in your spinal column. A recliner pulls some of the gravity that weighs down your spine each day away, allowing you a more neutral, gravity-free position.
How to Use the Recliner for Back Pain Properly
How exactly can you help a pain with a recliner?
While recliners can be a useful tool, they only work if you're using them in a manner that promotes good spinal health. First, use proper posture whenever you can. Don't sit upright and slump forward- this will cause additional shoulder pain.
When sitting up, try and allow your abs to do some of the posture work. This can give your back a much-needed break. When using the recliner, be sure to find a position that is comfortable (if it's painful, you may be doing more damage than helping).
Finally, if you are using massage and heat functions, start slow and move up. These things can release things like lactic acid from sore muscles into your system- drink plenty of water to flush them out quickly.
Recliner for Lower Back Pain
What recliner types work for lower back pain?
If your main concern is the lumbar region, you need to consider a few things. First, you need a chair that has lumbar support- this is the area that we refer to as the small of your back. If the chair has built-in support, you should be able to feel like you're supported here when you sit back.
If not, and you still love the chair, you can always add an aftermarket lumbar cushion. However, the heating features on the massage chairs are typically lumbar-oriented. This gives you some extra warmth to help lower pain and promote blood flow and healing. Finally, choose a chair that allows you good posture to try and strengthen this area.
This can prevent further lower back issues.
Can Recliners be used for Sleeping?
Is it okay to catch some ZZZs?
You not only can use a recliner to sleep, at times it can actually be a huge benefit to your back to do so. Recliners that offer proper positioning for your spine and neck can help you to keep from awakening with a lot of pain in your body.
If you're finding that a poor bed or pillow choice is keeping you up at night or having you awaken in a lot of pain, this is a sign that you probably need a new bed. Until then, if the recliner can allow you to feel better until you can get a new, more comfortable and supportive bed, by all means, use it.
Additionally, semi-upright sleeping can help a host of conditions. This can include sleep apnea, a medical condition where breathing obstructions keep you from getting enough oxygen at night.
Also, some people with digestive issues may suffer from esophogeal reflux or heartburn, a condition where the stomach acid travels up toward your throat when you lie horizontally at night. In both cases, sleeping propped with a bit of elevation can go a long way toward preventing the problems that come with these positions.
Material and Design
What material options are available?
The material choices on these chairs offer a number of different benefits. Here is a look at the basic options:
- Fabric: This is a common choice for many different chairs. The fabric is washable and treatable, though it will soak spills through to the padding. Fabric chairs offer the widest variety of color and print variations. If you love the chair but hate the fabric, they can be reupholstered to your taste.
- Vinyl/Faux Leather/Vegan Leather: This is a series of artificial leather options. These seating options are more durable than fabric when it comes to spills and less expensive than leather. Vinyl has a leatherlike coating on the outside, which can start to peel off over time when exposed to regular wear. This typically happens at points of regular contact and movement, like knees and armrests.
- Leather: This is typically the most expensive choice. It offers a lot of durability, is a little less water-resistant than vinyl, but holds its value and style longer than the other options Leather and vinyl can support heat and massage better than fabric as well.
How does design factor in?
There are a few things to know about design. First, aesthetics of a chair, whether it has a high or low back, can change who it is best for. Taller people need taller chairs to work. Chairs that are too high or deep for short people to touch the floor are also not good fits.
The material you choose comes with limitations for spill-proofing, massage and heat capabilities and more. This should be considered when choosing a chair that fits with a certain decor scheme.
What types of warranties do these chairs offer?
There are three kinds of typical warranties you'll see on a recliner, most particularly on one that has moving parts. Some will have a combination of these warranties with different expiration dates:
- Money-back guarantee: This is a trial period of often around 30 days where you can return the chair if you don't like it. Sometimes you only get a short time, like 7 days, to make this decision. Either the company or even your credit card company or the seller may offer this option.
- Limited Warranty: this is an option that covers some but not all parts of the chair. This would be common in chairs with motors, where it would guarantee the motor but not the rest.
- Full Warranty: This is a standard warranty for all parts. It may be 6 months to a year, typically.
What are the questions I should be asking?
A good nursing chair should be able to put you in a comfortable position when with your baby. It will typically have wide armrests that offer easy positioning options for feeding or nursing. It should hug your back and not make you feel like you need to slump forward to use it. Your feet should be able to touch the ground when sitting upright.
Massage chairs are a good option here. Try and find one with a number of recline positions to best take advantage of the combination of laying and rolling your knots. Heat is a plus.
There is some medical concern that sitting too much can cause vascular and cardiovascular complications in some. Be certain to balance your resting time with some activity. Consult your doctor if you're not sure what kind is best for you.
Do you have a favorite chair? We did! Read on to discover more!
So choosing a favorite here had a few complications- mostly in the fact that not all of these chairs work for the same person or in the same room of the house. We realize that, and this is why we offer a variety of options for a variety of folks. But, we have to pick a favorite, so we considered a number of factors.
We decided to pick a chair that offered a number of different movement options. This gives versatility to the chair and makes it useful in a number of different situations. Glider-rocker-swivels got the highest marks here.
We also gave extra points to leather and vinyl, because of the added spillproof capabilities of these chairs. They are easy to clean and last a long time, things that are important when buying something as big and important as furniture.
We decided to choose a massage chair, because of the many different ways in which they can support the back. Heat was a bonus as well.
Because of this, our favorite chair and our pick for the best recliner for back pain, the only one to sport all of these features, was the Esright Massage Recliner Chair Heated PU Leather Ergonomic Lounge 360 Degree Swivel. It offers the most maneuverability of motion, plus massage, plus leather, and more.
This makes it the most likely to be a good fit for just about anyone with back pain. The other piece that put it over the top was the high percentage of positive customer reviews. Other than a handful of people who got a bad version, everyone who got a good chair out of the box raved about it. There were no mediocre reviews, either.
All-in-all, back pain can be a horribly debilitating problem. Choosing the right chair can be a huge step toward a more comfortable life.
Was our pick your favorite as well? Thanks for reading!