Nowadays, most internet subscribers prefer using modem and router combo units so as to enjoy the benefits of both devices in web access. A router works by connecting two networks, such as your home network and the Web, then forwarding traffic between them. On the other hand, a modem converts internet signals so that virtual information can be relayed over it.
Want to know more?
Below are some of the best modem router combo products in the market today.
ARRIS SURFboard SBG6400 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem/ Wi-Fi N Router
ARRIS SURFboard is an all-in-one modem and Wi-Fi router, containing a 2-Port Gigabit Ethernet connector and 802.11N Wireless router. This product allows you to equip your home network with an advanced internet system.
What’s even better?
It’s a versatile unit with multiple functions.
- Has 3 Items in 1, including a WiFi N300 Router, Dual Port Gigabit Router and 8×4 Wire Modem. It works best in residential homes covering an area of below 2,500sq.ft in modest user populations.
- Compatible with most American Cable Providers
- Supports the latest Web standards of IPv4 and IPv6
- Has 4 Upload and 8 Download channels that are absolutely free.
- They are suitable for use on Cable Internet Programs of 100Mbps and below.
- Approved for use on various Cable Internet Services such as Cox Cable, Time Warner, Comcast Xfinity, Bright House Networks and Charter. Amongst other smaller local service providers.
The final deal is that ARRIS SURFboard is a great modem and Wi-Fi Router that operates as a 2-in-1 device. With it, you’ll enjoy better internet speeds than when using a separate modem and wireless internet system.
Furthermore, the unit is easy to setup meaning you can easily swap it from a rental web connection service, which often tends to be expensive. For what it’s worth, this product can optimize up to 8 different channels for download, with an estimated coverage speed of 343 Mbps. Other competitor models can only cope with 4 channels and lesser streaming speed.
Let me explain.
Therefore, if you’re planning to use the internet for fast connections and at affordable rates then ARRIS SURFboard modem/router perfectly fits the bill. Nevertheless, don’t forget to contact your cable/internet service provider to activate the modem on their network, or else the device won’t have web access.
- Trustworthy and durable product. The manufacturers have a rich history in the digital world, boasting more than 60yrs experience in digital TV technology and wireless internet.
- Superfast Wi-Fi coverage and connection. Supports download speeds of up to 343 Mbps and WiFi connections of 1600Mbps, which is perfect for gaming and video streaming.
- Has beamforming technology that provides maximum Internet coverage and performance, so that you can stop paying rental fees for web connectivity.
- Full warranty cover. Buyers can return damaged goods for full refund or replacement, but only if the damage is not caused by the customer.
- The modem is simple to plug n play. It also has a Quick Startup Guide and US-based Technical Support team details included in the package.
- Very affordable compared to other routers in the same category.
- It sometimes generates an irritating and high-pitched electronic noise that can be heard a the distance.
- Some users claim the modem stopped working 1 week after the purchase. While it’s easy to setup, keeping it running can be a challenge and you may have to reset the unit constantly. Moreover, you may reboot the modem but the problem still persists.
- There are individuals who complain that the unit can’t cope with high-speed internet, the modem gateway keeps reverting back to ‘bridge’ mode automatically instead of a router.
ARRIS SURFboard SBG6400
Video about ARRIS SURFboard SBG6400
Motorola 16×4 High-Speed Cable Gateway with Wi-Fi, 686 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 Modem, AC1900 Wi-Fi Gigabit Router and Power Boost
Motorola AC1900 is a new modem gateway and Wireless internet router that was only launched recently in 2016. The device is equipped with a DOCSIS 3.0 cable port system and integral AC1900 WiFi Gigabit router, as well as Power Boost and firewall protection.
Believe it or not, AC1900 provides connection speeds of approximately 686Mbps, which is 16 times much faster than the DOCSIS 2.0 system.
- Has wireless Power Boost function that improves Wi-Fi performance and signal, by giving a great boost to speed and range. Additionally, it has AnyBeam system which operates at a frequency of between 2.5GHz and 5.0GHz which delivers maximum performance.
- Approved by Comcast XFINITY, Cox and Time Warner Cable for their internet connectivity programs.
- A high-speed router that’s compatible with n, g, b and ac devices including computers, game stations, Apple TV and Chromecast amongst other internet modules.
- Has four 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet ports that provide cable connections to various Ethernet-capable devices, including HDTVs.
Motorola AC1900 is a recently launched 2-in-1 modem and WiFi router that’s built for speed, it can reach connectivity rates of up to 300Mbps on Time Warner Cables and is also compatible with Cox’s Ultimate package. Including many other local internet networks.
Make no mistake about it!
This modem is more convenient and affordable than the monthly rental web services, you’ll definitely see a huge difference in speed and performance.
- Owning a Motorola AC1900 eliminates the need for subscribing to expensive web rental services, some of which cost as much as $120 per year.
- Simple installation, high-speed performance, and broad compatibility. Making it the perfect choice for any modern cable modem user.
- Has 6 cable network channels carrying data directly from the internet.
- The integrated modem and router system creates a stronger connection that minimizes unnecessary clutter from wiring and power adapter, therefore conserving desk space.
- The device’s vertical design further reduces shelf space, while improving cooling and extending the product’s lifecycle.
- The router is equipped with various advanced functions such as parental controls, browser-based configuration manager, and firewall security. Moreover, ‘Guest network’ access allows approved visitors to get Web services, while still protecting your private network’s information.
- Has LED monitoring system with 7 status reporting icons. Furthermore, the 2.4GHz and 5.0 GHz signal range with Power Boost allows WiFi clients to improve their wireless performance and frequency level accordingly.
- 2yr warranty for every new purchase. This is the longest-ever warranty cover in cable modem industry.
- Access to experienced US-based customer support. They are always ready to offer specialist help when called upon by the user. Even best of all, the modem/router offers great value for money as well as outstanding performance.
- It lacks a phone jack meaning you can’t connect to any Telephone Service option.
- You can’t control or upgrade the firmware since the company does everything on your behalf.
- Some people complain that they can’t receive more than 10mbs when streaming on local networks.
- Security is not very reliable. You may occasionally see some unidentified IP addresses linked to the router.
TP-Link N300 DOCSIS 3.0 (8×4) WiFi Modem Router for Comcast XFINITY, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, Charter, Spectrum (TC-W7960)
TP-Link N300 is a multipurpose cable modem and router unit that allows users to enjoy reliable WiFi from the comfort of their home. It’s easy to set up and comes equipped with an 8×4 channel bonding system that allows for reliable connection, which can be used to download files, watch movies and play your favorite games online. All this without slowing down the network.
Want to learn more?
The device allows you to save on monthly rental fees by replacing costly monthly ISP services with a more reliable wireless internet service.
- Quick Wi-Fi and 8×4 Program Configuration. It uses TC-W7960 technology to connect you to more devices concurrently, while still keeping all the connections running smoothly. Likewise, DOCSIS 3.0 system allows for faster throughput speed for your device.
- Dual Purpose Networking Solution. The 2-in-1 device operates as both a line modem and router, thus giving you the convenience of switching from one module to another as per your wish.
- High-speed wire connections. Has a USB port that makes it simple to link your external drive to any router for sharing folders and media across different networks. Similarly, you can create fast, reliable secondary connections using the 4 available Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- ISP Compatible. The TC-W7960 modem can be used with a variety of leading cable ISPs such as Spectrum, Cox and Comcast amongst others. It’s also compatible with local cable internet plans with speeds of up to 150Mbps.
- Nevertheless, note that Web downlink and uplink speeds will vary depending on the cable provider, MSO allocation and speed tier of your internet subscription.
Can I be totally honest with you?
TP-Link N300 is a user-friendly and easy to install modem that’s compatible with various devices, such as computers and digital TVs. The product also has a slim and stylish design that blends well with home furniture.
- Easy setup. The device is simple to install and operate, just follow the basic setup instructions found online, or contact your ISP for assistance with installation.
- Strong reception even in large houses. The TC-W7960 modem can be used in spaces of up to 2000sqft, with no problems at all in connectivity even when merging to multiple devices. The password has also been written plainly on the S/N label, meaning there’s no need to login and perform any configuration.
- Lifetime technical support and 2yr Warranty from the manufacturers. There’s a 24/7 helpdesk team always ready to offer technical assistance, no matter the place where you bought the product.
- Reliable speed. You can adjust internet speeds of your devices at different times, and still, enjoy maximum consistency in connectivity. Even if you’re streaming from two separate TVs, whereas the phone and laptop are also connected to WiFi, TC-W7960 will still handle the connectivity perfectly.
- Sometimes the wireless internet system goes off unexpectedly. It’s weak and intermittent.
- There are users who have reported defective items being shipped to them after making a purchase.
- Technical support is shoddy. They may not answer all questions raised by a client, instead telling them to return faulty products back to the seller.
- The reset button is closely set next to the WiFi button, making it easy to press a wrong button that can return your router back to factory settings.
NETGEAR N450 (8×4) WiFi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (N450)
NETGEAR N450 is a WiFi Router device with high-speed cable Web connectivity, it runs on an 802.11n Gigabit system that’s super fast and suitable for both online gaming and HD video streaming.
Are you interested in knowing more?
The unit is compatible with various bundle voice services including Cox, Spectrum and Comcast Xfinity amongst many others.
- High-speed connectivity ideal for fast downloads
- Multifunctional 3.0 Cable Modem and WiFi Router with 4Gigabit Ethernet ports, there are also two USB 2.0 connection ports.
- Delivers 340Mbps internet speed with up to 2.4GHz, which further helps in improving cable Web speed tiers.
NETGEAR N450 is a 2-in-1 modem that offers Wireless connection, as well as Cable broadband Web service. The device runs on a variety of operating systems including Windows 7, 8, XP, Vista, 2000 and Mac OS amongst other OSs compatible with the TCP/IP network. It’s also operational on various browsers such as Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, Internet Explorer 5.0, Google Chrome 11.0 and Opera 33.
As for sharing files, the device has USB access that can be used to wirelessly connect & share USB hard drives through the available USB port. The fast wireless internet can also be used for sending email, music streaming, chatting, surfing and watching online videos.
Want to know the interesting part?
NETGEAR N450 offers the highest level of WiFi security thanks to its WPA/WPA2 technology.
- Has rapid self-activation system for XFINITY customers, this helps users to be connected without first requiring a service call.
- The integral DOCSIS 3.0 modem is 8 times more responsive than DOCSIS 2.0.
- The Gigabit Ethernet ports provide quick wired speeds to link with your router, PC, and other similar devices.
- Helps with saving money over time, there are no monthly device charges from your ISP.
- Eliminates costly monthly cable modem rental costs of up to $120 a year.
- Easy installation. Simple setup for tablets, iPad, computers and smartphones.
- Has Wi-Fi and Power On/Off features for convenient power savings, including Push ‘N’ Connect buttons for WPS connections.
- Security. Offers the highest levels of wireless internet security thanks to WPA/WPA2 technology. Those who value their privacy when browsing claim it’s the best modem router combo unit.
- Sometimes the wireless internet is faulty and unreliable. The Wi-Fi setting frequently encounters connection failures, it may be online for a while and then stop working abruptly without any warning.
- The command panel is rather hard to control.
- Firmware upgrades are usually restricted by the ISP. However, even if the device is updated nothing much shall improve but instead it will go downhill in terms of performance.
- The parental control feature offers fewer options and doesn’t function reliably. Additionally, sometimes it’s inaccessible via a typical web browser and requires plugging in again before working.
- Though advertised as having the Guest Network Access, some users complain that they didn’t find this feature when setting it up.
- It doesn’t support bundled voice services from Cable Network Service Providers.
Video about NETGEAR N450
TP-Link Archer C7 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (AC1750)
Needless to say!
Though it costs less than $100, this is not an entry-level router by any case and from observations, it actually performs better than other units that are much more expensive.
- 6 Antennas for Enhanced Coverage. The device has 3 internal and 3 external antennas to send powerful WiFi signals across your home. Furthermore, it’s possible to readjust the external antennas so as to focus your wireless internet to the rooms that require it most.
- Powerful CPU provides accelerated processing function. Archer C7 is run by a high capacity processor that perfectly optimizes the demand of your connected devices, it keeps all WiFi connections operating at blazing speeds without any downtime.
- With it, you can play games online, stream live movies, share media content and download files all at the same time. The CPU will seamlessly manage each Wi-Fi band, including every web connection and the router’s firmware and software.
- High Bandwidth for extra streaming. A combination of 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands deliver approximately 1750Mbps of superfast WiFi speed, thus allowing all your devices to be connected to a single residential network at once. This abundance of bandwidth allows you to use the internet in various ways without worrying about buffering or lagging.
TP-Link Archer C7 is a high-speed WiFi router that contains up to 6 powerful antennas, this provides an advanced Wireless AC technology for reaching every corner of the house.
You can assign various devices to either the 2.4GHz or 5GHz bandwidths. Thus allowing you to operate multiple devices at top speed.
So, let’s not waste any more time, and get right into the pros and the cons.
- User-friendly mobile interface. You can easily set up and control your WiFi settings via the TP-Link Tethering app, it’s available for both iOS and Android. The application’s simple layout design allows you to quickly access Wireless internet settings such as visitor privileges, scheduling and equipment management right from your smartphone.
- You can share files within your network. The Dual USB ports allow you to instantly connect external hard drives and printers to the router. One can print and share files, videos, photos and music wirelessly at amazing speeds. With various devices linked to their home network.
- Internet access is either wireless or via the Ethernet cable. For the WiFi option, there’s a feature that auto-checks how your IP address is assigned and functions. The multipurpose router allows you to stream your favorite channels from different TVs throughout the house, whether it’s Sling, Netflix or any other channel. Plus there are no buffering or internet connectivity problems.
- There’s free lifetime support from the manufacturers. Users are assured of TP-Link’s world class helpdesk service that’s available 24/7, in addition to a 2yr warranty cover.
- Switching over to 2G frequency can create transmission problems.
- Support team is very slow to respond. Sometimes it may take up to 6 days to get a feedback from them.
- Signal strength reduces by up to a half when you move downstairs
- You have to restart the router frequently just to get the signal working fine.
Securifi Almond -Touchscreen WiFi Wireless Router
Almond is the first ever Wireless Router in history to be operated via touchscreen, it allows users to setup and maintain their routers easily using the highly responsive touchscreen panel. With it, you can avoid the burdensome PC/Mac-based setup that’s common with other types of routers. The device also has a Range Extender, Wireless Bridge and Access Point.
Not to forget!
It only requires 3 minutes to install.
- Works as both a WiFi Router, Frequency Extender and Wireless Bridge. Almond has the ability to extend your wireless frequency automatically, it’s also compatible with various other routers from companies such as Verizon, Apple, AT&T, Belkin, Linksys, Asus, Dlink and Cisco amongst many others. Furthermore, the device doubles up as a full-featured Wireless internet router with speeds of up to 300Mbps. To operate it, simply connect to your DSL modem and follow the available intuitive on-screen guidelines. Even more catching, you can connect older devices that only have Ethernet to a Wireless network.
- Advanced Security Systems. Securifi is very keen on security matters. Unlike other routers, it comes fully secured out of the package. Furthermore, each item ships with a unique and random SSID name, as well as password which can be adjusted to the factory settings. Similarly, Almond’s default SSID tag of ‘nomap’ prevents your device from being captured in Google’s Destination Tracking Database.
- Compatible with Amazon’s Alexa app. Amazon Alexa allows you to control your connected devices remotely using the voice command option. It’s possible to manage Home/Away modes as well as Movie Scenes you have created. For instance, you can say ‘Alexa, tell Almond to start the Movie Scene’ and it would do so immediately.
- Parental Control. You can easily manage your browsing experience using features like Guest Networks and voice command Parental Control. With so many devices connected to the web in your house, sometimes it can be difficult to keep track of the kids’ surfing habits. However, with parental controls you can easily schedule and determine the total duration of time they spend on the internet. Almond’s seamless integration system helps with voice control by making it more manageable.
- Access to Network Notifications Anywhere. You can tell who’s using your WiFi internet network and for what duration of time. To do this, simply adjust the notification settings to know when one connects to or leaves your Wireless network.
- Securifi allows you to block unwanted devices even if they previously had access to your internet connection. For instance, if you had shared the password with a neighbor but now want to cut them off your Wi-Fi. There’s no need to reset the password again, simply tapping the Almond app will lock them out.
Almond is an acclaimed Wi-Fi router that’s simple to install and can be controlled from a touch-screen interface.
Want to know a secret?
The device also has a universal range extender module that’s compatible with other routers like Linksys, Netgear and Belkin. Not to forget the 1yr limited warranty and limitless technical support offered by the manufacturers.
- Excellent customer service. The manufacturers are quick to respond and always reply to emails promptly.
- Offers great bang for the buck compared to other WiFi extenders in the same class.
- Easy to set up, installation only takes around 3 minutes.
- Beautiful product with an elegant design.
- Occasionally the signal goes down.
- It lacks an external antenna.
Securifi Almond -Touchscreen WiFi Wireless Router
Video about Securifi Almond -Touchscreen WiFi Wireless Router
NETGEAR N600 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router
NETGEAR N600 is a beautifully designed Wireless internet router with various interesting features. It comes equipped with a dual-band WiFi system that provides twice the bandwidth strength of a typical device, with advanced connection and less frequency interference.
Wouldn’t it be great to learn more about the features?
- Automated Quality of Service (QoS) app. This enhances the performance of media, gaming and Virtual telephone performance with instant application prioritization.
- Push N Connect function helps to connect various devices at the single push of a button. With the program, users will spend less time setting up the router and network, while more time gaming online, surfing the net or conducting business.
- The router is Energy Star compliant and has been manufactured by up to 80% recycled materials.
- Has a secure protection system that safeguards the device when connected to devices such as PCs, iPod touch and gaming consoles.
- The Broadband Usage Meter provides accurate measurements of web traffic daily, weekly or monthly. Including customized alerts for Live Parental Controls that’s powered by OpenDNS.
- Multiple user experience. The Multiple SSID Support structure allows users to connect their WiFi to secondary networks, which is suitable for guests with limited broadband access or an exclusive network for video streaming and gaming.
Let me say this straight!
NETGEAR N600 is considered one of the best WiFi routers as rated by internet users, it’s easy to manage and also has lots of interesting features that make browsing a breeze.
- Broadband speed is awesome. The router is stable and has no issues working overtime.
- It blocks unsafe online content and applications.
- Allows for flexible and customizable settings via the virtual interface.
- Supports Windows 8 operating system.
- Can be accessed remotely through other devices connected to the router.
- Ultrafast Wi-Fi Speeds. The N600 Dual Band internet delivers up to 300+300Mbps, the double bandwidth also reduces unnecessary downtime as one unit can easily be activated when the other is experiencing connectivity problems.
- NETGEAR genie home network app allows for simple installation and home network administration.
- The router is light inbuilt and has a plastic casing that’s sturdy and durable, this case is also fitted with air vents that help in improving aeration and temperature regulation.
- Easy to use. There are no start-up installation materials or procedures required, all you need to do is just Plug N Play.
- Perfect for use in apartments with communal WiFi. With its dual-band function, strong signal and remote management capacity NETGEAR N600 is suitable for use in apartment housing facilities with a shared open network.
- The product comes with a convenient Ethernet cable that measures 3ft.
- The router may develop technical challenges after a few months of use.
- It’s configured to 256Kbps by default and readjusting it to higher speeds can be a challenge.
- Poor connectivity range. Some users complain that when the house is large it only covers 80% of the home.
- Occasionally fails to respond to wired ports.
ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router
ASUS RT-N66U is a Dual Band superfast wireless router that comes equipped with 3 detachable R-SMA type antennas. Want to know the great part? Unlike other typical N-SPEC devices it provides more than 50% wider coverage.
Plus the integral VPN Server and IPv6 support system both offer a reliable business package for corporate purposes.
- Has File Sharing, 3G Internet Sharing and Printer Sharing functions.
- The intuitive ASUSWRT Dashboard UI allows for easy setup, network application control, and signal monitoring.
- Gigabit Ethernet Ports provide an ultrafast and reliable Internet performance.
- Has 2.4GHz and 5GHz simultaneous Dual-Band transmissions that deliver strong signals, and quick connection rates of around 900Mbps.
- 3 detachable high-power antennas for greater wireless coverage.
ASUS RT-N66U is an impressive router with serious power and intuitive features, it’s also very affordable costing less than $100.
With that said, let’s dive into what’s good, and what’s not about ASUS RT-N66U.
- Impressive design. The device is not just pleasing to look at but also powerfully built.
- You can easily add multiple Wi-Fi networks to the router, including visitor access networks. Each having its own settings/restrictions. It’s also possible to switch nodes and activate the router as a Wireless Bridge or Access Point. Port forwarding is also very straightforward.
- Long-lasting. Some people have used it for more than 3yrs without any replacement.
- Multipurpose. Can be used for various functions like streaming online videos, virtual data backups and gaming.
- Can be paired with other devices like the Time Warner cable to create a combo speed overkill.
- Compatible with various Android devices like phones, Chromecast, Google TV and tablets. As well as printers, laptops and VoIP modem.
- The online interface allows you to add multiple connected devices and also scheduling the internet for specific periods of use.
- Panel software is simple and intuitive meaning you don’t have to fuss with the settings.
- It doesn’t reboot after every few minutes to cause inconveniences like other routers in the market.
- Can be linked to USB drives for easy browsing and file sharing.
- The power button is prone to breakdown, after a few months it may toggle off and not stay in the ‘On’ position.
- The interface can be slow even when a firmware upgrade is done.
- Poor customer service. Helpdesk can take as much as 2wks to respond to a complaint.
ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router
Video about ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router
Linksys N900 Wi-Fi Wireless Dual-Band+ Router with Gigabit & USB Ports (EA4500)
Linksys N900 is a reliable WiFi router with Dual-Band internet speeds of 450 + 450 Mbps, it’s also equipped with a Smart Wi-Fi App that enables you to control your web network from anywhere. With a combined bandwidth of 2.4 and 5 GHz, users are assured of less interference when browsing and maximum throughput.
Are you ready for the best part?
You can use the network to perform functions like gaming and music/video streaming.
- 4 Gigabit Ports for Ultrafast Wired Connections. On the back there are 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports that can be used for attaching gaming and entertainment devices, these ports are 10x faster than other typical Ethernet networks so as to provide superfast wired speeds. The router is also fitted with a USB 2.0 jack that allows for quick sharing of files, or addition of external storage devices.
- Wireless security to prevent unapproved access. Alongside the built-in WPA/WPA2 encryption and SPI firewall for data security, the device also has a WiFi Protection Setup to keep your residential Wi-Fi network totally secure. To activate this function, simply press the Wireless Security Setting button on the back to configure wireless browser safety on connected network devices.
- Smart Wi-Fi allows you to personalize and manage your home’s WiFi remotely. With this user-friendly app, you can update your Internet from anywhere and at any time. It can be used to get real-time data about your residential Wi-Fi, prioritize devices, add parental controls and send guests WiFi passcodes. The Setup is quite easy as well, simply attach your device and download the app for free to any compatible Apple or Android device.
- Dual bandwidth for ideal Wi-Fi performance. The Dual Band feature allows for a strong, reliable and advanced internet signal over wide ranges. You can easily connect to a variety of devices without any lag or buffering, be it laptops, tablets or any other equipment. Furthermore, the dual-bands increase the internet capacity so as to prevent interference and improve throughput.
Linksys N900 is a powerful Wi-Fi router that comes equipped with a USB port and 4 Gigabit ports.
But here’s the kicker!
Apart from delivering fast wired connections, it also has advanced security protocols that help keep the network secure.
- It’s very easy to set up. The device automatically searches for a web connection, sets it up and connects itself seamlessly. All this with very little effort from the user.
- Allow for Wi-Fi sharing with guests and visitors. You can develop a separate guest network using the software app, then share the WiFi password with guests via email or text messaging.
- It connects fast to remote devices. The router is quick to respond to computers, tablets, gaming systems, phones and online TV channels.
- A wide range of frequency. Users say that it works perfectly even in homes that are as large as 1600sq.ft.
- The software is easy to manage and does not hang like in other routers. Linksys N900 is also a great router for cox.
- Sometimes firmware upgrades may slow down connectivity.
- Customer service is not very trustworthy. In case of a defective item, the support team may try to sell you a new one instead of doing a replacement.
- Data transfer via USB drive is rather sluggish.
Linksys N900 Wi-Fi Wireless Dual-Band+ Router
Video about Linksys N900 Wi-Fi Wireless Dual-Band+ Router
Luma Whole Home WiFi – Replaces WiFi Extenders and Routers, Works with Alexa, Free Virus Blocking, Free Parental Controls, Gigabit Speed
Luma is the first router in history to feature an intelligent Wi-Fi system, providing unrivaled speed, security and control to the user. Its Surround Wireless coverage system reaches every corner of your home, therefore eliminating any concerns about dead zones and buffering. Furthermore, it features intuitive content controls to manage your children’s access to data on the internet.
Don’t you just want to try it out?
Nevertheless, the best part is that Luma is quite simple to install and use. All you need to do is just plug in, download the application and then it would start running in a few minutes. Thereafter, the router will fine-tune its signal to detect all compatible devices in your home for real-time connection.
- 24/7 security. The device ensures total safety when browsing the net, it automatically scans and defuses any malware attack throughout the day.
- Offers remote control. Through the Luma app, you can pause your WiFi temporarily, prioritize devices, allow guest access and disconnect unwanted devices from any location.
- Ultrafast internet connection.
- Smarter parenting option. You can adjust the user-rating for each individual on your network to G, PG or PG13. This helps in managing and limiting all inappropriate content that one might come across.
- Compatible with Amazon’s Alexa app. Luma and Alexa are inseparable in terms of function if you want to control a specific function just say it loud and Alexa will promptly activate the instruction on your Luma router.
One thing’s for sure! Luma is a simple but high-performance router with advanced network settings. It also has intuitive security functions that protect you from malware attacks, not to mention the parental control feature that allows you to restrict content for your kids.
Let’s dive a little deeper into some pros and cons in order to give you a better idea.
- Simple to install even for tech dummies. Just download the instructions app on your phone and it would give you step-by-step tips on how to set it up. There are also steps on how to fix the cable box, DVD player and gaming system.
- Wide network coverage. By placing it in appropriate parts of your house, the internet would be distributed to the entire home including the kitchen, bedroom and front porch. What’s more! The app itself will show you where its best to set up the router.
- It has a meshwork system that permits for no dead zones in the household, meaning streaming is always in HD and all smart devices have access to the web. This device is highly recommended for those who’ve had shortcomings with other wi-fi systems.
- Luma can be connected to other existing routers in your home to provide you with a double benefit. These subnet connections are suitable for those who have complex routing needs.
- The router frequently goes offline when unexpected, therefore interrupting work and entertainment that you may be enjoying over the internet. Likewise, when it goes off you can’t access the Local Luma app since it also requires the net to function.
- Support rarely comes online and most replies are done through email.
- There’s no desktop/web interface. Users only have access to the phone app which has no logging option, no advanced settings and nothing to physically tweak or adjust programs.
Luma Whole Home WiFi
Video about Luma Whole Home WiFi
Best DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
A good DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem can save you from the costs of expensive rental internet plans. Furthermore, the device should be compatible with all major cable ISPs in the country such as Comcast, Cox, Time Warner Cable and Charter. Similarly, the product you pick must have positive online reviews from previous users. This shows that it’s reliable and trustworthy amongst many people.
Keen on knowing more? It would be great if the device you choose allows for flexibility of switching from one service provider (SP) to another, particularly if you’re moving to a new location.
Can I be totally honest with you?
No matter your internet usage needs, a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem is way cheaper than using a standard ISP service where you have to pay a separate charge every month to rent the connection service. In fact, studies show that you can save as much as $5 to $10 per month with this plan.
Likewise, a recommendable cable modem should be able to handle network congestions easily. Apart from having more channel lanes to avoid network traffic overcrowding.
Cable Modem for Comcast
Most cable modems for Comcast allow for channel bonding and faster download/upload speeds. For setup, all that’s required of you is plugging it to your coaxial port, powering it on and then you’re good to go. However, new users must first contact Comcast and notify them that they want to disconnect from the rented modem and move over to their Internet service.
Note that Comcast hides their approved compatible equipment list from random site visitors, specifically those who do not have a Comcast customer account. Therefore, the best way to know if your cable modem has been recognized is by opening an account with them.
But here’s the interesting thing.
Nowadays there are cable modems for Comcast that also double up as routers. You can save money by purchasing such modem/router combos, instead of buying each one of them singly. So there is no need for extra wires and securing them with staple guns. There are many brands to choose from though you must first get a reliable networking equipment, so as to eliminate expensive monthly fees.
Wireless Cable Modem
You should consider getting a new wireless cable modem if yours doesn’t support the DOCSIS 3.0 network system, this is the latest configuration of data that allows for high-speed Internet connection according to Data Over Cable Services Interface Specification. The body that governs how network operators distribute high-speed web access.
Quite naturally, if you’ve owned your modem for some time, it would be prudent to conduct a short Google search to know whether it supports DOCSIS 3.0. A 3.1 version is also available in various small test markets, it’s suitable for gigabit-speed Web plans.
Generally, every revised edition of DOCSIS offers improved performance and extra features. For instance, the first versions only allowed for a single downstream channel and one upstream channel. However, DOCSIS 3.0 now permits wireless cable modems to merge multiple channels into one data stream. Therefore giving you faster speeds in every possible direction.
DSL Modem Router Combo
A DSL, also known as digital subscriber line, is an equipment that’s used to connect a PC or router to a phone line which gives the DSL network for connectivity to the web. A process is technically known as DSL broadband.
Therefore, a digital subscriber line modem connects to a primary computer through Ethernet Port, PCI slot or USB port. The more common model functions as both a modem and router, connecting multiple computers via several Ethernet ports or a main wireless access point.
Popularly referred to as a residential gateway, DSL routers manage the connection and sharing of internet service within a household or small office grid.
Want to know more information?
Typically, they consist of a connection box fitted with an RJ11 jack, which helps in connecting to standard subscriber phone lines. There are also multiple RJ45 jacks for fitting Ethernet cables, so as to connect the device to remote computers via USB cable. Power is usually transmitted via a cord attached to a wall-wart transformer.
Router for Gaming
Routers usually come under heavy load when it comes to video gaming, they must, therefore, deliver cutting-edge performance in order to stay useful.
A good router should not just cope with your streaming needs, but also feature modern upgrades such as 4K video, VR and Twitch streaming amongst others.
The key feature that a gaming router should have is Quality of Service or QoS settings. It helps in prioritizing gaming traffic over other web content, hence ensuring seamless frame rates during play. This is very useful in cases where other consumers on the network are using the same bandwidth for different purposes, such as downloading files or streaming other videos.
For some people, a gaming router should also look the part in order to tick. In such cases, they have attractive paint jobs with images of items like sportscars, military aircrafts, and other fancy objects. Likewise, a gaming router will look perfectly at home when placed alongside a dual-monitor setup, or wrapped inside a LED-emblazoned casing.
Most modern routers are designed to be compatible with other devices that run on frequency levels of between 2.4 GHz and 5GHz. If you’re using your phone to connect to the router, then it should at least have a 2.4GHz wireless network for the process to be complete. Though a higher frequency would even work better.
Two devices can only be compatible when they communicate freely via a wireless network, they should also resonate on the same channel frequency like a 2-way radio. Wireless networks are simply a merger of modified dual-way radios that relay data instead of sound. All compatible devices must operate on the same channel, or else they won’t exchange signals and only end up being static.
The Advantages of a Cable Modem Router
The key advantage to sticking with your combined modem/router unit is that it’s simpler to manage. Since most cable modem routers operate as a single device, whereby a modem has its own built-in router. It helps in creating more space for storage compared to using two individual devices.
If you have limited space, the combo unit will be very convenient. It reduces the overall number of cables you need to setup the network and link to a network. On the other hand, separate modems and routers must first communicate with each other in order to work. Typically via an Ethernet cable.
Furthermore, troubleshooting a modem router combo when there’s no internet connection is much easier. You don’t have to reset the router and modem individually then wait for them to reboot, regain signal and interconnect with each other. With a single device, you just need to reset the system and in a few seconds, it would be up and running.
Wi-Fi vs Ethernet
While the entire world is going wireless, with most people considering WiFi to be more convenient than cable Ethernet. Still, wired internet offers certain benefits that cannot be overlooked, such as greater speeds, reliability and low latency.
A permanent Ethernet connection is usually faster, stable and delivers consistent speeds. On the other hand, Wi-Fi is susceptible to various environmental factors that may hinder connectivity.
For instance, the frequency can be blocked by floors and walls or other wireless devices which interfere with the signal. Including factors that people rarely think about such as microwaves, cordless phones and nearby routers on the same channel. Even weather changes can sometimes cause inconsistent performance. Another benefit of Ethernet is that you can download massive files or stream HD videos endlessly, without experiencing any network interferences.
As for Wi-Fi networks, make no mistake about it as they are more secure thanks to WPA2-PSK technology. Your data is fully encrypted, though the strength of encryption depends on which security method you’re using. Most routers have a variety of security modes that users can pick from depending on their needs.
As you move from one corner of your home to another, the signal strength of a WiFi may fall and rise accordingly depending on the position. There might even be blackspots in your house where the Wireless signal doesn’t reach.
Does this sound like you?
Additionally, if you often download large files or you just have a large number of devices connected to your network there would be significant signal improvements from staying with the Ethernet port option. Most Wireless routers also have Cable ports on them so that you can choose on an individual basis, whether you want to go wired or otherwise.
The data on Ethernet networks can only be accessed through devices physically connected to the network. They include laptops, tablets and smartphones amongst other compatible equipment. However, unlike WiFi, the cable internet option doesn’t allow for Guest Network Access and other advanced settings.
Where Should I Place My Router?
The best place to set your router is where it can be accessed throughout the house. Always keep it central, find the most central spot in your home for placing the router, and while doing so don’t consider the placement of your PC or home modem as a limiting factor. If possible, buy an Ethernet Cat 5 cable which will boost signal power when you connect the wire to a central location.
If your home has two floors, consider attaching the router on a wall or somewhere in the ceiling corner because radio waves typically spread out and downwards, not up. Generally, think about placing your router on the 2nd floor if you have one.
Want to know what else?
Each brand of router has its own unique warranty policies. However, in general, manufacturers require that the product can only be serviced or replaced if it was bought from a genuine dealer. The owner should have a receipt showing proof of purchase. Just like with any other items like infrared heaters or LiPo chargers.
If by any case you bought the device from an unauthorized dealer or the original factory serial code has been tampered with, then you may not qualify for compensation from the manufacturers.
Therefore, as a buyer always be wary of websites and dealers who say they’re authorized but are not. All products sold by such vendors don’t carry any warranty cover. They may also be defective, counterfeit or used even though the dealer is selling them as new.
Can I tell you something else?
Should I Buy an Extended Warranty?
It’s not advisable to purchase an extended warranty for various reasons. In certain cases, such covers only duplicate the original warranty coverage you got from the manufacturer, which it only makes sense to use first. Similarly, alongside the original cost and deductibles, some extended plans actually charge an amount every time you file a claim.
Another concern is that the company can close shop unexpectedly, therefore leaving customers without the prolonged coverage they paid for. The situation may get even worse when dealing with 3rd party extended warranties, rather than the original product manufacturers.
Some companies promote their extended warranties with so much vigor that you may be tempted to buy in but don’t let your emotions guide you when making this important decision. Instead, think about all the pros and cons carefully before making any choice. Despite these concerns, it doesn’t mean that all prolonged warranties are bad for you and that purchasing one is a disaster. It all depends on your needs and assessments.
Are you ready for the outcome?
After careful considerations, it can be concluded that TP-Link N300 is the best modem router combo based on its many amazing features.
The 8x4 Channel bonding and DOCSIS 3.0 technology allow for faster and reliable connections. Users can enjoy download speeds of up to 300Mbps on a 2.4GHz network frequency, which simply means better online gaming experience, HD video streaming and faster file transfers.