Invented in the late 1700s, the circular saw changed the game when it came to woodcutting and carpentry. Its rotating blade allowed workers to cut through wood more quickly compared to back and forth saw blades. It also minimized the amount of space needed to operate a saw.
Today, the game has changed even further with compact and portable mini circular saws. Whether looking for a craft saw or a supplement to your carpenter's toolkit, we've put together a list to help you find the best mini circular saw to take care of business.
Let's take a look at it in detail:
|Product Name||Image||Motor||Speed||Overall Rating||Details|
|Rockwell Versacut Ultra-Compact Circular Saw||4.0 Amp||3 500 PRM||9||Check price|
|Genesis GCS545C Control Grip Compact Circular Saw||5.8 Amp||3 500 PRM||10||Check price|
|Dremel US40-01 Ultra-Saw Tool Kit||7.5 Amp||13 000 PRM||9.5||Check price|
|WORX WORXSAW 4-1/2″ Compact Circular Saw||4.0 Amp||3 500 RPM||8.5||Check price|
|Rockwell 4-1/2″ Compact Circular Saw||5 Amp||3 500 PRM||9.5||Check price|
|Makita SH01W Circular Saw Kit||4.0 Amp||1 400 PRM||8||Check price|
|MasterMind 800344 Compact Precision Circular Saw||4.0 Amp||2 800 PRM||7.5||Check price|
|Dremel SM20-02 Saw-Max Tool Kit||6.0 Amp||17 000 PRM||9.5||Check price|
|VonHaus Compact Handheld Circular Plunge Saw||4.5 Amp||4 000 PRM||8||Check price|
|Rotorazer Saw||4.0 Amp||3 500 PRM||7||Check price|
Rockwell Versacut 4.0 Amp Ultra-Compact Circular Saw with Laser Indicator and 3-Blade Kit with Carry Case
Compact and convenient, the Rockwell Versacut is a circular saw to meet most needs around the house. It comes with a variety of blades, features a laser indicator, and comes with a carrying case. When you want a handheld saw capable of tackling a few dirty jobs, this is the one to bring home.
- A 3 3/8" blade with a maximum cutting depth of 1 1/16"
- A 4-amp motor with a no load speed of 3500 PRM
- Comes with multiple attachments and blades
- Comes with a Rockford 2-year limited warranty
Rockwell Versacut is a convenient mini circular saw with a plethora of blade attachments. Just make sure you know what attachments to use on the material you need cut.
- The Rockwell Versacut has a blade and accessory for almost every need. It comes with an: HSS blade, carbide blade, diamond blade, no-mar base plate, vacuum adapter, and a straight edge guide.
- The integrated lock and switch make one handed use possible. You'll be able to maneuver this petite circular saw in tight spaces.
- The blades can cut through tile, wood, PVC pipe, aluminum, sheet metal, and a variety of other materials.
- With a maximum cutting depth of over 1", you can cut through wood flooring, pipe, and thicker materials that other circular saws can't handle.
- Use the vacuum attachment to remove dust from the cut and around your work area. You'll be able to maintain a clean line of sight while working.
- The motor is placed in the rear of the handle to improve ergonomics and make it easier to use the Rockford Versacut for longer periods of time.
- Some people have reported that the Versacut has a strong kick back when in use. They felt that it was still necessary to use both hands to hold it in place when cutting through thicker items.
- Some people also reported that the Versacut blade wore out after just 10 or so uses. However, this may have something to do with which blades were used on which materials.
Rockwell Versacut 4.0 Amp Ultra-Compact Circular Saw
Genesis GCS545C 5.8 Amp 120 Volt 4-1/2 in. Control Grip Compact Circular Saw
You'll cut through almost anything with the tungsten-carbide-tipped-blade included with your Genesis GCS545C Compact Circular Saw with Vacuum Adapter. Great for projects, large and small, this handheld circular saw provides the best of both worlds.
- Boasts a 3500 RPM and strong 5.8-amp motor
- Offers multiple cutting functions for users
- Cutting depth of about 1.5" at 90-degree angle
- Uses triple gear reduction for improved torque
- Comes with a two-year warranty
An all-around handy mini circular saw to have in your toolkit. Genesis GCS545C Compact Circular Saw is durable, well-made, and the manufacturer offers several great accessories to improve usability.
- Lots of optional accessories to choose from, such as a 48" rip cutting track system. It's powerful enough for cutting copper and aluminum when you get the optional HSS blade.
- The control-grip handle is comfortable and secure enough to use one-handed.
- Come with an adjustable depth gauge and bevel control, so you can cut at an angle. Quickly make cuts for trim, windows, and even carpentry projects, like cupboards.
- Super durable die-cast aluminum gear box and guard. The saw will last a long time and resist plenty of bumps and drops.
- Keep your cutting line clear of debris with the included vacuum adapter. This kit also comes with a tungsten-carbide-tipped blade, and rip guide.
- This is one of the heavier mini circular saws on our list at 6 pounds. However, this is thanks in part to the diecast aluminum case.
- A couple of people have reported that some of the parts were missing when they received the Genesis saw. If this happens, you may want to reach out to the seller to report it.
Dremel US40-01 Ultra-Saw Tool Kit with 4 Accessories and 1 Attachment
When you want a mini circular saw that can take care of most DIY renovation projects, try to the Dremel US40-01 Ultra-Saw Tool Kit with 4 Accessories and 1 Attachment.
So check this out:
It can quickly cut through most tough materials, including metal and concrete. Plus, it offers multiple functions for those who want an all-in-one tool.
- Boasts a powerful 7.5-amp motor
- 3-in-1 tool for flush-cutting, plunge cutting, and surface prep
- Comes with multiple attachments
- Offers a maximum cutting depth of 3/4"
- Comes with a limited 5-warranty
Dremel US40-01 Ultra-Saw is a handy mini circular saw from a well-known brand for most projects around the house. You probably won't want to rely on it for everything, but it's useful to have in your toolkit.
- Rip cut straight through wood planks with this Dremel. Flush cut along baseboards and even plunge cut holes in the floorboards. The Dremel US40-01 can also remove unwanted paint and plaster from a work surface.
- This tool kit comes with a 4" Carbide Wood Cutting Wheel, US510 3.5" Metal Cutting Wheel, US600 4" Carbide Wood Flush Cutting Wheel, 4 Inch Diamond Surface Prep Wheel, and a carrying case.
- The strong 7.5 amp motor allows you to cut to a variety of surfaces, including brick, concrete, wood, tile, steel, PVC, and masonry.
- Two wheel positions, one with guard and without guard, allow you to work vertically or horizontally.
- An included auxiliary handle lets you apply more pressure and maintain better control of the Dremel with two hands.
- The large 4" diameter wheels help the Dremel make cuts faster and with less risk of catching.
- There are a lot of accessories to keep track of with this tool kit.
- Although the blades are larger, the cutting depth is less than an inch. This may limit some of the applications where the Dremel is useful.
- Like all Dremels, the woodcutting blades on this particular model are abrasive-based. This may mean that the blades wear out more often.
- This mini circular saw only uses Dremel blades, which could limit how easily you can replace old blades with new ones.
Dremel US40-01 Ultra-Saw Tool Kit
WORX WORXSAW 4-1/2" Compact Circular Saw
Are you tired of dealing with a heavy circular saw?
But, you still want the benefits of one for reno projects? Pick up the WORX WORXSAW 4-1/2" Compact Circular Saw – WX429L to take care of cutting needs for home renovations and even on construction sites.
- Boasts a 3500 RPM with no load speed
- Offers a minimum 2" cutting depth with easy-set depth gauge lever
- Cut at angles with a 0-45 degree bevel
- 3-year WORX warranty
Sometimes, you're just tired of hauling a full-size circular saw from site to site. If you're working on a smaller project, bring along the WORX WORXSAW instead to cut through 2" x 4"'s and other materials.
- The WORX toolkit includes 4 1/2" WORXSAW, 24T carbide-tipped blade, parallel guide, vacuum adapter, and Allen key.
- You'll be able to make angled cuts for everything from trim to baseboards with a locking bevel that allows you to cut up to a 45-degree angle.
- This lightweight 4 amp WORXSAW offers usability that rivals even professional-grade circular saws. You can even cut a 2" x 4" with ease, thanks to the increased cutting depth of the blade.
- The thin blade cuts smoothly through wood and other materials, reducing wear and strain on the motor.
- Cut and maneuver this WORX mini circular saw without putting excess strain on your wrist and arms. You can cut one-handed with the lightweight 4.4-pound design.
- The WORX is a little larger than other mini circular saws on the market. It will take up more space in your toolbox.
- It doesn't offer as many functions as other circular saws. Primarily, the WORX is used for making straight or angled cuts.
- Despite the larger blade size, some people report that the saw doesn't cut as quickly as they would like. This may be due to the motor not being strong enough to cut efficiently through metal.
- Some also reported that the handle is too large in circumference to comfortably hold one-handed.
- Some also reported that their toolkit arrived with a few missing pieces. If this happens, you should reach out to the seller to let them know.
WORX WORXSAW 4-1/2″ Compact Circular Saw
Rockwell 4-1/2" Compact Circular Saw, 5 amps, 3500 rpm, with Dust Port and Starter Kit
Lighten the load on your toolkit with a compact mini circular saw from Rockwell.
Weighing just 5 pounds, this 4-1/2" Compact Circular Saw, 5 amps, 3500 rpm, with Dust Port and Starter Kit– RK3441K, is 50% lighter than a conventional 7 1/4" circular saw. Yet it still cuts through most 2" x 4" like butter.
- Boasts a high-powered 5-amp electric motor
- Blade turns at 3500 RPM
- Cutting depth at 90 degrees is 1-11/16" and at 45 degrees is 1-1/8"
- Comes with a 3-Year Rockwell Warranty
Lighten the load by using the 4-1/2" Compact Circular Saw to make basic straight cuts, bevel cuts, and plunge cuts. This high-powered saw provides the "oomph" needed to cut through wood quickly.
- The compact circular saw includes a 24-tooth carbide-tipped blade, parallel guide, vacuum adapter, and hex key.
- This lightweight circular saw allows you to cut through most wood and drywall materials with ease.
- It weighs just 5 pounds and has a slim handle for more ergonomic control while using one-handed.
- At 3500 RPM with a five-amp motor, this mini circular saw can compete with even full-sized blades at most construction sites.
- The 10-foot cord lets you roam a little bit while working. You won't feel like you're always tied to a portable power source.
- The blade can be adjusted to make angled cuts, or used at a 90-degree angle for plunge cuts and rip cuts.
- Features a streamlined left-handed design to allow for improved cutline visibility.
- This Rockwell mini circular saw is designed primarily for use on most construction site projects and home remodeling as opposed to DIY craft projects.
- The blades are large at 4 1/2". So, you may feel a little-unnerved working with this circular saw one-handed. However, it does come with a sturdy, metal guard to protect your digits.
- Several people have reported that the bolt holding the blade secure snapped in half while using their saws. This may be an isolated batch issue, but Rockwell does offer a 3-year warranty to replace any defective products.
Rockwell 4-1/2″ Compact Circular Saw
Makita SH01W 12V Max Lithium-Ion Cordless 3-3/8-Inch Circular Saw Kit
Make precise cuts without difficulty using the Makita SH01W 12V max Lithium-Ion Cordless 3-3/8-Inch Circular Saw Kit. This saw is well-made, compact, and designed to be user-friendly. It fits in well at a craft show or in the Carpenter's toolkit.
- The Blade Turns At 1400 RPM
- Features an Adjustable Cutting Depth Of 1" At 90 Degrees and 5/8" At 45 Degrees
- Powered By Two Rechargeable 12V Max Lithium-Ion Batteries
- Comes With a 3-Year Warranty On the Tool and 1-Year Warranty On Batteries and Charger
But the truth?
Makita SH01W is very lightweight and ergonomic. Make sure to keep a spare battery on hand for backup power and you might want another slightly heavier duty saw for cutting through thick materials.
- This mini saw, includes two 12V max Lithium-Ion batteries, 1 battery charger, and a 20T carbide tipped blade.
- It cuts through plywood, MDF, pegboard, particleboard, melamine, and drywall.
- You can cut at angles with a tilting base for bevel cuts from 0 - 45 degrees.
- A streamlined soft grip handle reduces strain and makes it easier to use the Makita for long periods.
- Roam wherever you please with this wireless mini circular saw. Two 12V batteries provide all the energy you'll need for a few hours of work. If you do run out of power, it comes with a recharging base and charges the batteries in about 50 minutes.
- The lightweight saw weighs just 3.3 pounds. You won't have to lug a heavy circular saw from site to site.
- It features a built-in dust blower to help keep the cutting line free of debris for the easier line of sight and more accurate cuts.
- 1400 RPMs is a little slow compared to other circular saws on the market. It may not cut as quickly or be able to cut through denser materials.
- Some people felt that the batteries ran out before they were finished working for the day. In this case, it may be a good idea to keep a backup set of batteries on hand.
- This may be better used for cutting lightweight or thin materials, such as baseboards and drywall, or on DIY craft projects.
- Some reported that they had a hard time purchasing accessories and replacement parts for this Makita mini circular saw.
MasterMind 800344 Compact Precision 3-Inch Circular Saw
Want to work easy around the house?
Transform your work process with the quick plunge capability of the MasterMind 800344 Compact Precision 3-Inch Circular Saw. This mini circular saw is compact, ergonomic, and is more than functional for plunge cuts and rip cuts.
- Blade turns at 2,800 RPM
- Features a cutting depth of most building materials up to 7/8" and tile up to 3/8" thick
- Comes with a three-position ergonomic handle
- Boasts a five-year warranty
Overall, a well-made tool and the three-position handle makes using the MasterMind 800344 at a variety of angles a cinch. However, you may have difficulty finding replacement blades and parts for this product.
- Saw comes with storage case, a carbide-tipped blade, an edge guide, 2 non-scratch base covers, 2 hex wrenches, and 1 vacuum hose adapter.
- It can be used in a variety of projects including flooring, plumbing, electrical, finishing, tile work, and carpentry.
- Use the LED light to see in dark areas. You'll also enjoy more accurate cuts with the MasterMind laser light.
- Make rip cuts in overhanging boards and plunge cuts in flooring and walls. This saw even offers adjustable depth control to ensure you don't cut too deeply.
- When the cutting area or line gets too dusty, use the included vacuum hose adapter for optional dust extraction.
- The MasterMind uses 3" blades, which may be difficult to find when you need to replace them.
- This mini circular saw weighs a little over 9 pounds. It's close in weight to other larger circular saws and, after a while may start to feel heavy to carry around the worksite.
- With less than an inch of cutting depth, you may not be able to use it on thicker materials either.
- With 2800 RPMs, it may not cut as quickly or effectively through dense materials. Always be patient when making cuts. Consider making a few test cuts through extra boards before you get to work.
Dremel SM20-02 120-Volt Saw-Max Tool Kit
Don't you love the versatility and quality of the Dremel brand?
This was among the first of the manufacturers to offer lightweight, rotary blades for one-handed use. They are still going strong with the Dremel SM20-02 120-Volt Saw-Max Tool Kit. When you are looking for a complete kit with handy carrying case, this is the best bet.
- Boasts a 6-amp motor
- Multi-function tool for plunge, flush, and straight cuts
- Has a 3/4" cutting depth
An easy to handle and well-made saw, but the blades wear out quickly. This particular Dremel SM20-02 mini circular saw may be better suited to light projects and crafts.
- The saw comes with a sm500 multi-purpose carbide wheel, sm510 metal cut-off wheel, sm540 tile diamond wheel, sm600 multi-purpose flush cut carbide wheel, dust port adapter, and hard carry case for everything.
- It offers a second horizontal wheel position for flush cutting along baseboards.
- You'll be able to cut through a variety of materials, including soft and hardwood, plywood, composites, laminate flooring, drywall, PVC, plastic, ferrous and nonferrous metals, tile, and masonry materials.
- Use the dust extraction port to keep your workplace clean and sawdust free.
- An adjustable depth control ensures you won't hit anything behind materials you are trying cut. This is particularly useful for plunge cutting.
- A unique worm drive gearing is longer lasting and more durable.
- The plastic front end guard may not be as durable or protective as a metal guard.
- People have reported that the carbide blades wear out more often than they would like and that replacements are expensive.
Dremel SM20-02 120-Volt Saw-Max Tool Kit
VonHaus 4.5 Amp 3-3/8-inch Compact Handheld Circular Plunge Saw
When you're looking for a portable, but still heavy duty compact saw, you may want to consider the VonHaus 4.5 Amp 3-3/8-inch Compact Handheld Circular Plunge Saw. This mini circular saw features a slightly different design from the others on our list, and also comes with enhanced safety features.
- Boasts a 500w motor
- The blade has a no load speed of about 4000rpm
- The blade diameter is 3-3/8 inches
- Has a waterproof plug and cord length of 6' 6"
The VonHaus is a mini miter saw with plenty of safety features. It is ideal for cutting through paneling, siding, and trim. It is a very ergonomic and flexible to hold cutting saw with soft-grip, large handle, and adjustable depth gauge and guards.
- The VonHaus saw boasts an adjustable cutting depth of up to 1.06".
- It can cut through materials, such as wood, metal, stone, plasterboard, tile, and ceramic.
- A great price and replacement blades for the VonHaus are very affordable.
- Some report that the blade locks up during use and that the depth gauge doesn't work to keep the blade from making deeper cuts than intended.
- At 16.9 pounds, this is one of the heaviest circular saws we've reviewed. It's listed as a 'mini miter saw', so it is definitely intended for single-purpose construction and carpentry work.
- The safety features mean that you have depress and slide multiple buttons at once to get it started. Some feel this is overly complex for the purpose.
Rotorazer Saw with 3 Quick Change Blade and Dust Extraction System
Are you tired of using handsaws for tedious cuts and shaping of materials? The Rotorazer Saw with 3 Quick Change Blade and Dust Extraction System in red may make an attractive addition to your toolbox for those DIY projects.
- It boasts a 400-watt motor
- The blade offers a cutting depth about .5"
- Comes with multiple blades and accessories
Fans of 'As Seen On TV' products may be interested in Rotorazer Saw for light projects and crafts. However, it won't cut very deeply.
But here is the thing.
The saw kit comes with a tungsten carbide blade, diamond blade, and a steel blade, a dust extraction system, and durable hard carry case.
- The saw is designed to cut through a variety of materials, including PVC, drywall, hardwood, ceramic tile, marble, and metal.
- Keep your cutting line clean of debris with the vacuum dust extraction system accessory.
- The small blades allow you to make gently curved cuts on lightweight materials. This is good for craft projects, such as wood decorations.
- A blade guard provides some protection from the spinning blade when it's not pressed against a cutting surface.
- An adjustable cutting depth lever allows you to set the blade to low, medium, or deep depths.
- Some reported that it kicks back a lot when used. May not be ideal for cutting thicker or dense materials.
- Some users also reported that it has trouble cutting materials, like copper or aluminum pipes. It may be better at cutting metal sheeting.
- A large skid plate and the centered blade placement means it's hard to see your cuts as you make them.
- A bit pricy for what the product offers, especially compared to other mini circular saws on the market.
How Does a Mini Circular Saw Work?
Many people love using circular saws but don't have a clue how they work. Does this sound familiar to you? Well, you're in luck because we're going to reveal the secret of mini circular saw operation.
The mini circular saw operates a lot like a standard size worm drive saw. In fact, many mini circular saws use the worm drive to operate their blades. This is primarily because this type of drive is ideal for saws where the motor must be behind the blade, e.g., a compact, handheld tool.
Let's take a step back.
There are three main components to a mini circular saw, the motor, the drive, and the blade. The motor transfers power to the drive, which then turns the blade. A worm drive uses a pair of gears oriented at a 90-degree angle to one another to transfer the power from the motor to the blade.
This is a great type of drive for creating a handheld circular saw or one with a left blade orientation. It also helps improved torque and makes the saw more durable, so it lasts longer when cutting through dense materials.
What To Consider Before You Buy
Naturally, you now want a mini circular saw that can you can use just like a standard circular saw, only without the weight and heft. This is easy enough to accomplish by picking out any compact or mini circular saw on the market.
Believe it or not, there are a lot of different features to keep an eye out for in your purchase.
All of the potential features listed below can be found in one or several different mini circular saws. You'll want to select the ones that best meet your needs and enhance your use of these power tools.
Take a look for yourself!
- An adjustable cutting depth allows you to control how deeply the blade cuts through certain materials.
- An adjustable bevel allows you to cut materials at different angles up to 45 degrees.
- Cordless circular saws usually have a rechargeable battery.
- Laser guides allow you to cut a straighter line by following a thin line of light projected by a laser in the saw case.
- Higher amp circular saws have more power for faster cutting and cutting through dense materials.
- Two blade positioning allows you to set the blade outside of the guard for flush cuts or using sanding and abrasive blades.
Mini Circular Saw Blades
Great, you've found the best mini circular saw. But now, you have no idea how to use all these blades! Take a deep breath and relax. We'll help explain the basics of different types of saw blades.
What the Tungsten Carbide Blade!?
Carbide tipped for increased strength and durability, these blades are great for wood, plastic, and composite materials. The carbide tip is attached onto the steel blade using a soldering technique known as brazing.
Also known as high-speed steel blades, these are made from a high-quality, strong steel, and have more teeth for cutting. Some have up to 60 large, sharply angled teeth. They're great for cutting a variety of materials including:
- Thin Sheet Metal
These have very small teeth or no teeth at all and the edge is covered in a fine layer of diamond grit. As you may already know, diamonds are the hardest substance on Earth and make for excellent cutting tools. They are great for cutting through ceramic tile, stone tile, backer board, and cement.
But Wait, There's More…
Mini Circular Saw Cordless
Imagine that you're a carpenter working on-site without electricity. You need to make several small adjustments to a 2" x 4" before you can nail it into place. Thank goodness you have that cordless mini circular saw!
Or, you're happily working on a carpentry project in one room and suddenly realize there are a few other small projects you can take care of while you have that compact circular saw out. You get up and take that cordless circular saw along without a second thought.
Isn't that great?
These rechargeable battery powered saws are ideal for environments without easy access to a wall outlet. Cordless power tools have come a long way in the past several decades. These days, they are nearly as powerful and durable as a traditional corded power tool. Wonder why?
Because, they use lithium-ion batteries. These batteries are lightweight, have a high energy density, and recharge easily. They also tend to provide a consistent flow of energy right up until the battery has drained.
If you're frequently working on sites without power, don't bring along a bulky generator for just one tool. Turn to a cordless mini circular saw to do the job.
You may not have realized it, but compact circular saws can still do a lot of damage if not used appropriately. After all, their blades are usually diamond or carbide tipped and spin at thousands of rotations per minute! Safety is best kept in mind when using one of these power tools.
What Do You Need To Know?
The first thing to do is use that circular saw in a clean and dry area. Ideally, you will be working in the garage, on a construction site, or in your craft room. The space should also be well-lit so that you can see what you're doing.
Here are a few other tips:
- Wear safety glasses when operating the circular saw.
- Where a facemask or respirator, if you do a lot of cutting.
- Keep the hand and lower blade guard in place. Do not remove these!
- Don't operate near pets or children.
- Keep your hands away from the blade while it's spinning.
- Use sharp blades for cutting. Dull blades can break or catch.
- Keep all cords clear of the cutting area.
Of course, these are just a few of the more common safety steps to remember. Naturally, you'll want to read through the instruction manual thoroughly before using any power tool.
Okay, you have purchased a circular saw and kept in the box for a couple of months until you finally found a project to use it on. Sadly, when you plug it in and press the power button, nothing happens. You've got a dud!
You reach out to the manufacturer, only to find that you're past the return period or a moneyback guarantee. On top of that, they don't offer a product warranty! Disappointed, your only option is to purchase another mini circular saw.
And just think, if you had taken the time to look for product warranty, you could get a replacement without having to pay for a new one.
Well, you can at least keep this from happening again.
Next time, check for a warranty from the manufacturer before purchase. Most mini circular saw companies offer a warranty length of between 1 to 5 years. These are usually limited warranties, meaning that the manufacturer will replace the product if it is defective in some way that causes it to break in the box or break during use.
Unfortunately, saw blades that come with your purchase are not always covered under warranty. If you buy the blades separately, these may have their own warranty you can rely on if found to be defective.
Our pick for the best mini circular saw is the Genesis GCS545C Compact Circular Saw with Vacuum Adapter.
The aluminum diecast body and guard impressed us, as well as, the number of available accessories and blade options. You can use this mini circular saw for rip cutting, plunge cutting, and bevel cuts. It's strong enough to use on construction projects, and lightweight enough for craft jobs.