Are you looking for the matress topper to make the quality of your sleep better?
Chronic back pain is not just an annoyance. It hinders your ability to work, play, and just live your life. Untreated, it can even lead to other health problems, such as insomnia. When your back pain even keeps you from sleeping, it can be maddening!
Take steps to soothe your muscles and nerves with a little extra support while you rest. We have put together a list, so you can find the best mattress topper for back pain without a lot of extra effort.
|Product Name||Image||Thickness||Density||Overall Rating||Details|
|Advanced Sleep Solutions Memory Foam Mattress Topper||2"||3.3 pounds||9||Check price|
|Density Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Pad Bed Topper||3″||4 pounds||10||Check price|
|Serta Memory Foam Mattress Topper||3″||3.5 pounds||8.5||Check price|
|Nature’s Sleep Cool IQ Memory Foam Mattress Topper||2.5″||3.5 pounds||8.5||Check price|
|PharMeDoc Memory Foam Mattress Topper||2"||4.2 pounds||9.5||Check price|
|Night Therapy Memory Foam Pressure Relief Mattress Topper||4"||3 pounds||7||Check price|
|Advanced Sleep Solutions Gel Memory Foam Topper Ultra-Premium Gel-Infused||2"||3.3 pounds||9.5||Check price|
|Lucid Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper||2"||3 pounds||9||Check price|
|LUCID Gel Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper||2.5"||3 pounds||8||Check price|
|Milliard Egg Crate Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper||2"||3 pounds||7.5||Check price|
Advanced Sleep Solutions Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Help your child sleep better or give guests a deeper rest with the Advanced Solutions Memory Foam Mattress Topper. This topper is for the Twin XL size bed, but the company does offer multiple sizes up to a California King. If you are looking for a little extra support that won't leave you sweating the whole night, this is the best bet. It fills out your existing mattress with 3.3" density foam and is designed to stay cool and breathable.
- Made in the USA
- 2" Thick Memory Foam
- Made With CertiPUR-US CERTIFIED FOAM
- Comes With a 3-Year Warranty and 60-Day Money-Back Guarantee
A little less thick at 2", this topper from Advanced Solutions gives you some extra comfort with the characteristics of memory foam.
- A great memory foam topper to revive a child's bed.
- You can also turn a modest mattress into a luxurious bed without breaking the budget at these prices.
- Weighing in at just 7 lbs. this topper is easy to move around when changing the bedding.
- Memory foam provides relief of pressure points on the back and hips for a deeper sleep.
- The foam will cradle as you sleep, and easily re-molds itself to sleepers when they change positions.
- The gel foam is designed with an open cell structure to improve softness and minimize stiffness.
- The open cell design also encourages air flow, so this topper won't feel as hot as other memory foam products.
- The 60-Day guarantee means you can get your money refunded from the company if you don't like this foam topper.
- We're reviewing the Twin XL, not a Queen or a King size from this line. Keep this in mind when looking for a larger mattress topper.
- The Advanced Sleep Solutions Memory Foam Mattress Topper is only 2" thick, not three as with many other toppers listed here. So, it may not offer the same levels of support for adults.
- Some people report that it can take a few days to fully expand after removing from the packaging. You may be able to speed expansion by keeping it in a warm room.
- Some find that the topper isn't large enough to fit the mattress size. It may be just a couple inches short on each side.
Density Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Pad Bed Topper
Give your saggy mattress an instant makeover with this Queen size Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Pad Bed Topper from Memory Foam Solutions. That's a mouthful!
This topper is extra thick to provide plenty of support for adults and couples. Yet, it only weighs about four pounds, so it's easy to work with when changing the bedding.
- Made In The USA
- 3" Thick Extra Supportive Memory Foam
- Environmentally Friendly and Exceeds Purgreen Certification Standards
- 3 Year Limited Warranty
This topper provides the great combo of density and thickness that supports your back and spine. Sink into it for a cozy night!
- Memory foam conforms to fit your body like a glove every single time you lay down. This won't wear out or develop the dreaded 'butt groove'.
- Memory foam is also warm, so it helps keep you feeling cozy even on the coldest winter nights.
- If you don't like it or the product wears out the limited warranty from Memory Foam Solutions gives you the option of replacing it.
- This extra thick topper is great for larger adults who may find that other similar products don't provide enough support.
- The memory foam will relieve pressure points on your body, so you feel less pain and sleep better.
- Memory foam does put off an odor for the first few days. Those who are sensitive to smells may need to let it air out before using the topper.
- The foam topper may feel too hot for those who live in warm climates or who are hot sleepers.
- Some people find that memory foam is too hard to sleep on. It will give to fit your body but doesn't have the softness that other types of bedding may offer.
Serta Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Treat yourself to a memory foam mattress topper with extra support for a deep sleep and less tossing and turning. The Serta 3" Memory Foam Mattress Topper is available with a one year warranty on it too. If you are looking for something that has the backing of a name brand at an affordable price, this topper is the answer.
You'll enjoy the balance of comfort and support this topper provides and all without having to replace an old mattress!
- Made In the USA
- 3" Thick Foam Topper for Extra Support
- 3.5-Pound Density Premium Memory Foam
- 1-Year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
When you're iffy about buying on the internet, stick to a name brand like Serta. You'll know that the company backs its products. Plus, this Memory Foam Mattress Topper offers plenty of support at three inches thick.
- The extra thickness provides optimal support for adult sleepers.
- This memory foam topper will mold itself to your body for a supportive sleep, yet remains firm enough to keep your spine aligned.
- It will also help relieve pressure points along your body. You'll enjoy a deeper, more restful sleep.
- The one year warranty ensures you can return the product for a replacement if you find that it is damaged or not working properly.
- The mattress topper will also help extend the lifespan of an old mattress by rejuvenating it and making it comfortable again.
- Some people report that the memory foam still gives off an odor for a few weeks. Although, the worst of the smell dissipates after a few days.
- Being memory foam, it may feel a little warm to those who live in warm climates.
- Some also report that the foam toppers arrived with tears in them. This may be a result of an improper packaging process. Manufacturers shrink wrap memory foam products with all of the air sucked out to minimize the amount of packaging needed.
- Others reported that the mattress topper wasn't quite as dense, and therefore supportive, as they expected it to be.
Nature's Sleep Cool IQ Memory Foam Mattress Topper
The Nature's Sleep King Mattress Topper is ideal for couples with king size beds. It provides just enough support with 2.5" thick memory foam to relieve most of the aches and pains of daily life. Even better, Nature's Sleep includes a soft, zippered cover for both the topper and your mattress. It protects your topper and makes it easier to change your bedding when needed.
- Comes With a Microfiber Fitted Cover and 18" Skirt
- Mattress Topper Is 2.5" Thick
- Made From 3.5 Pound Cool IQ Visco Elastic Memory Foam
- The microfiber cover provides a soft, touchable surface to sleep on. It also provides a way to keep your mattress topper protected and prevent it from moving around too much.
- This topper is made with a lighter, open cell memory foam that allows for better air flow. It is very breathable and should help you keep cool at night.
- Enough thickness and density to gently cradle your body while you sleep for reduced pain and better alignment of your spine.
- It is also hypoallergenic, so those with allergies won't have to deal with unwanted sniffles and sneezing at night.
- The topper transforms old mattresses into a more comfortable bed, extending their lifespans and saving you money.
- The topper is about half an inch thinner than other similar products for adults, so may not provide as much desired support.
- Some people report that this topper has a very strong odor when it first arrives. You'll need to give it time to air out properly.
- A few have reported that the toppers they received were stained. This may be due to a bad batch at the warehouse.
- The version we looked at is a king size weighing 28.8 lbs. So, it may be a little hard to maneuver when you're making up your bed.
PharMeDoc Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Turn your full sized bed into an extra cozy place to sleep with the PharMeDoc Memory Foam Mattress Topper. It's great for those who feel like their mattress just doesn't provide the extra support needed for a good quality of sleep. Sleep deeply, even on the coldest nights, with this durable, memory foam topper.
- Designed In California
- Topper Measures 2" Thick
- Made From a Specialized Viscoelastic Memory Foam
- Comes With a Pharmedoc Lifetime Manufacturer Warranty
With a name like PharMeDoc, it's gotta' be good for your back. You'll like that it is very soft, but still offers some density for the average person. We also like that PharMeDoc Memory Foam Mattress Topper comes with a lifetime warranty.
- The specialized viscoelastic, open cell memory foam is breathable and allows for better air flow. You won't wake up feeling sweaty in the middle of the night with this topper on your bed.
- The topper helps prolong the lifespan of your mattress by protecting it and enhancing the support it provides.
- It molds to fit your body, while also providing soft, cushioning for the pressure points on your body.
- It is made with an impact resistant material to cushion against micromovements. If you share your bed with a partner who tosses and turns, this topper will help minimize the vibrations from their movements.
- This full-size topper is more affordable than other similar brand and is an easy way to upgrade your mattress.
- It comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee and a lifetime warranty. If you don't like this topper, you can get your money back!
- This topper is only 2" thick so may not be as supportive for larger adults and couples.
- You'll need to allow it to air out for about three days after it first arrives to reduce the chemical odor. PharMeDoc does state that the scent isn't harmful to your health.
- Some report that the mattress topper doesn't breathe as well as expected.
Night Therapy Memory Foam Pressure Relief Mattress Topper
Try something a little different in the mattress topper game with the Night Therapy Memory Foam 4" Pressure Relief Mattress Topper. The manufacturer put a little more thought into the design of this Queen size topper. It features multiple layers, each serving a different purpose, and is made with environmentally friendly products. If you're tired of the standard block of memory foam, you might want to give this topper a try.
- 4" Memory Foam Topper
- Unique Three-Layer Design
- Topper Is Made From Certipur-Us Certified Foam
- It Comes With a Zinus 5-Year Limited Warranty
The Night Therapy mattress topper makes a great impression at 4" thick. However, there are only 2" of memory foam in the product. Still it provides plenty of height and comes with a five-year warranty.
- It provides extra support with 4" of memory foam and comfort foam. This is great for larger adults.
- The topper boasts 1.5" of pressure relieving comfort foam, 2" memory foam, and a 0.5" fiber quilted cover.
- The quilted cover gives it a soft, more natural feel when slept on at night.
- The memory foam is made with BioFoam, which replaces some of the petroleum in its manufacture with natural plant oils.
- BioFoam also contains natural green tea extracts and activated charcoal to help eliminate odors, absorb moisture, and keep your bedding fresher.
- The zippered quilted cover is removable for washing. However, it may be a little difficult to put back on by yourself.
- The comfort foam base layer is designed to relieve pressure points, while the memory foam top molds to your body for a snug, cozy fit.
- Weighing in at 30.1 lbs., this mattress topper may be hard to maneuver when changing your bedding.
- Some people find that the thick topper is too firm for their comfort.
- It has a pretty strong odor when first unwrapped. Give it a few days to weeks to completely air out.
- Some people dislike the fact that the topper only contains about 2" of memory foam.
Advanced Sleep Solutions Gel Memory Foam Topper Ultra-Premium Gel-Infused
Go with the blue of a Gel Memory Foam Topper from Advanced Sleep Solutions. Those colorful swirls on this Queen size open cell topper are meant to help dissipate your body heat better, so you sleep more comfortable. It is also more conforming to your body, yet supportive enough to relieve pressure points and keep the spine aligned.
- Made In the USA
- Has a Density Rating Of 3.3 Lbs. Per Sq. Ft.
- 2" Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Comes With a 3-Year Advanced Sleep Solutions Warranty
Don't be jelly.
There is plenty of gel memory foam to go around with this Advanced Sleep Solutions mattress topper. It's 2" thick, comes with a 60-day money back guarantee, and helps keep you cool at night!
- The gel memory foam helps keep you cooler at night, which is good for those living in warm climates.
- It is also designed to provide an even amount of support and pressure point relief, while also being soft enough to be comfortable at night.
- CertiPUR-US Certified Foam products are all made to have a low environmental impact. They have low VOC emissions, no ozone depleting agents, and are made without a number of hazardous chemicals.
- A minimal amount of motion transfer helps reduce the impact of your partner tossing and turning in bed.
- If you don't think it is comfortably perfect, you can take advantage of the 60-day money back guarantee.
- The 3-year warranty ensures that your memory foam topper is long-lasting and durable, or you get a replacement.
- Some may find the gel foam feels slightly damp or moist to the touch. This may not be a problem in dry climates.
- There is an odor when you first open the packaging, but it dissipates within a few days.
- The foam is a medium density, so won't be as supportive for larger adults and couples.
- Some report that they still sleep too hot with this gel foam.
Lucid Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Does traditional memory foam leave you throwing off the blankets at night? Then, you may want to look into the Lucid 2" Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper. This topper features unique ventilation to help improve breathability and air flow. We've looked at the Queen size, which is a lightweight, high-quality foam topper.
- 2" Premium Memory Foam
- Certipur-US Certified
- Ventilated Design To Improve Breathability
- Comes With 3-Year Warranty From Lucid
If gel memory foam isn't working, this innovative ventilated product may be better able to keep you cool in bed. Sleep more deeply at night so you'll be more Lucid during the daytime!
- The mattress topper is ventilated with small vertical holes to increase air flow, so you don't get overheated.
- The memory foam is an open cell design to help further improve breathability and comfort.
- It is hypoallergenic. Those with allergies and asthma should sleep better with less irritation.
- You'll have an easier time making the bed as Lucid makes their toppers one inch shorter on all sides than industry standard mattress sizes. This allows for a tighter fit when putting on fitted sheets.
- It is a very affordable product for a queen size mattress topper.
- The CertiPUR-US Certified rating means this material is safe, high performing, and eco-friendly. It boasts low VOC emissions and few to no hazardous chemicals are used in production.
- If you find a flaw or the topper doesn't last, you can take advantage of the three-year limited warranty for a replacement.
- The topper only measures 2", so it may not provide the support larger adults need.
- There is an odor, like most memory foam products, and it will dissipate within a few days.
- Some reported that the product wore out and became too soft, within a few months.
LUCID Gel Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Stay cool while you sleep with the upgraded LUCID 2.5" Gel Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper with Removable Bamboo Cover. The combination of ventilated holes, gel foam, and a breathable, soft Tencel blend cover all work together to keep you at a comfortable temperature while sleeping. We've taken a look at their king-sized topper measuring 75" x 79" in area.
- 2.5" Thick Gel-Infused Polyurethane Memory Foam
- Removable 10% Tencel Lyocell, 90% Polyester Blend Cover
- Comes with a Lucid 3-Year Warranty
This is an upgraded version of the previous LUCID mattress topper on our list. You'll get both ventilation and gel foam, with a super soft bamboo cover.
- It boasts Lucid's ventilation to help increase breathability and air flow. You'll sleep more deeply and with less heat.
- The 2.5" thick foam will provide a little extra support to keep your spine aligned and take the pressure off your body.
- This topper features an open cell design to keep you cooler and also quickly remold itself to your body after changing sleep positions.
- The Tencel blend cover is removable so you can pop it into the washing machine.
- It is also soft to the touch, absorbs moisture well, and is breathable. You won't want to use sheets with the Tencel blend cover on your bed topper.
- The memory foam is infused with gel to help keep you cool by dissipating body heat.
- Memory foam is naturally hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites and other allergens.
- The memory foam topper is considered low to medium weight density, so it may not hold up for larger adults.
- You'll still need to air out this mattress topper for a few days to allow the odors to dissipate.
- Some people report that this product doesn't fully decompress after taking it out of the packaging.
Milliard Egg Crate Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper
There is another option. Milliard 2" Egg Crate Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper provides that wonderful molded to fit your body sensation, without you sinking into a super thick topper. It is also the only mattress topper on our list with an egg crate texture to improve breathability while also providing support. We took a look at the king-sized topper, measuring 74" x 73" in area.
- 2" Thick Egg Crate Ventilated Memory Foam
- 3 Lbs. Density To Increase Firmness
- It's Naturally Hypoallergenic and Anti-Microbial
Milliard offers something else for those with back issues in the form of an egg crate memory foam topper. Many report that this feels more natural, yet offers that soft, sinking into memory foam feeling that everyone likes.
- The egg crate like design and open cell foam both encourage airflow and breathability so you stay cooler while resting.
- It is high-density foam to provide support for sleepers, helping keep pressure off and the spine properly aligned. The unique texture further eases those pressure points by distributing your weight more evenly.
- The memory foam will contour itself to your body to cradle you. Yet, it will adjust quickly when you shift or change sleep positions.
- It is good for those with allergies and asthma. Memory foam is resistant to many allergens and dust mites.
- Restore an older mattress instantly with an affordable topper. You'll be able to stretch the lifespan of your bed and save money on this inexpensive product.
- It is about an inch shorter on all sides than industry standard mattress sizes. This ensures that you'll have a snugger, better fit when using a top sheet.
- Millard claims that their memory foam meets or exceeds CertiPUR-US standards.
- This is only 2" thick, and the egg-create design means it will likely compress to about one inch under your body weight. It's not meant to add a lot of extra support to a sagging mattress.
- It does have a slight odor when you first unwrap the packaging. The smell should dissipate after a few days.
- Some people reported that it wears out after a few months. This may be a result of it not being as thick as needed for the kind of back support they required.
Are you not sure what kind of material is the best for your mattress topper? Of course, nearly all modern toppers are made from varying types of foam. Yet, each offers its own characteristics.
Take a look!
Below you'll find some of the more commonly used materials in mattress toppers. These are far from the only ones available. However, they are durable, supportive, and easy to find.
- Memory Foam
A type of viscoelastic polyurethane foam. First developed in the 1960s for NASA, memory foam has since invaded the consumer market. It has several features that make it great for cushions and bedding.
Memory foam is yielding, yet holds the shape of whatever is pressed into it for short time. It also provides support as it doesn't yield completely underneath weight.
- Gel Memory Foam
First introduced in 2006, this is memory foam with a special gel mixed into it. You'll often see it as blue, or white swirls in the foam. The gel particles added to the foam remain slightly moist so that the product can better dissipate heat away from the body. Gel can also speed up the spring back time and make foam feel softer.
- Polyurethane Foam
This is a very common, inexpensive type of foam material. You'll frequently see it in cushions and bedding. It is breathable, lightweight, and giving. However, polyurethane foam will need to be fairly thick to provide support. It can also develop grooves or ruts over time from continual use.
- Latex Foam
A more expensive type of foam is latex. This is a very firm, springy foam that many use for pressure point relief. It is also breathable. However, it is a costly initial investment over other materials. Some people may also be allergic to latex and not be able to use this material.
How Do You Choose?
It may be difficult to choose from these different materials. But, you can start by taking stock of what you are looking for in a mattress topper. Consider what kind of back problems you have and the support you need.
Consider whether you are allergic to or sensitive to any of the materials. Also, take a look at your budget to determine how much is available for that purchase. Even a tight budget can still give you a great mattress topper if you search for a durable product from a company with great customer support.
Advices for Backpain
Many people wake up feeling stiff and sore. Maybe they even feel a jolt of lightning run through their back when first standing! Everyone experiences back pain at some point. But, if you experience pain and agony when you wake up every single morning it may be your bed.
Each person is different. We all need support in some areas but not others. Some of us prefer a soft bed, while others need a really firm one. The point is if you don't get the support and comfort you need in bed, it can cause a variety of ailments related to your back.
You may end up dealing with:
- Pinched Nerves
- Sore Muscles
- Pressure Sores
- Torn Discs
- Spine Misalignment
These problems can make your day-to-day life miserable. Some of them can even put you in the hospital if the problem becomes severe.
Okay, but how do I deal with back pain?
We spend up to eight hours or more a day in bed. While doctors don't recommend a lot of bed rest, they do suggest that you get plenty of support while sleeping. Make sure that you have a bed that is firm enough to keep your spine aligned and take off the pressure that can lead to so much pain. One way to improve your sleep quality on a budget is with a thick, durable mattress topper.
You should also pay attention to how you are sleeping. If you are side sleeper, doctors recommend putting a pillow between your knees to help keep your spine in a neutral position. If you like to sleep on your back, you can keep that neutral position by placing the pillow underneath your knees.
When you first wake up in the morning, consider rolling over on your side and then into an upright position. Many people make the mistake of sitting straight up in bed, which puts a lot of pressure on the lower back.
During the day, you might want to take up an exercise program to improve flexibility and build core strength. A strong core can help counteract muscle cramps and pain in your back. Flexibility helps to keep you from wrenching muscles and will take some of the pressure off your nerves and discs.
Is that all it takes?
Again, everyone is different, but these steps go a long way towards improving your quality of sleep and allowing your body to heal.
Soft vs Firm
Manufacturers produce mattress toppers with different densities to suit customer's personal tastes. For you, this is simply a matter of whether the mattress is soft or firm to the touch. Those who have back problems may find that a firmer topper provides more support where they need it.
Often, mattress toppers are purchased to help hold the spine in alignment, especially if your mattress is getting old, a little saggy, and isn't up to the job.
Conversely, a lot of people report that a really firm mattress can cause back pain. So, they may be in the market for a soft topper to alleviate the problem. These toppers have less density, or bigger spaces between the foam so that it yields more under a person's weight.
The density of your average mattress topper can vary a lot and most don't even know to pay attention to it. However, if you had trouble in the past with your bedding being too hard or too soft, it pays to pay attention to these numbers. It should also be noted that the thickness of the topper can also have an effect on comfort and support.
If a topper is soft but only an inch thick, it won't provide much protection from a hard mattress underneath. If a mattress topper is super thick but soft, you may end up in a situation where you sink into the topper.
Let's find out a little more about memory foam densities!
You can usually get a feel for whether a mattress will be firm enough by touching it. If you can't get to the store to test a product before purchase, you'll need to look at the density of memory foam in it. This will give you a better idea of how well it will meet your needs.
There are three basic densities:
- Up To 3 lbs./cu. ft. (Pounds Per Cubic Foot)
This is considered the softest material and will provide a little extra comfort and support on a traditional mattress.
- Up To 4 To 5 lbs./cu. ft.
This is a medium weight material that provides more support for those with back problems. It is considered just about the ideal for those who want a mix of softness and firmness.
- Up To 6 lbs./cu. ft.
This is a very firm mattress topper that is best left for orthopedic support of those with medical conditions, such as arthritis.
Of course, if you have never used a mattress topper before and aren't sure what density really works, consider starting out with the medium weight density in a brand with a product guarantee. This way you can return it if you don't like how it feels.
Heat Retention Issue
Every night you wake up sweating. It's all you can do to push off the covers and lay there on top of your mattress with moisture pooling underneath you. If this happens on a regular basis, then you may need a new mattress topper.
Why do mattress toppers make me sweat?
The problem with getting too hot when you sleep on a mattress topper is really down to the type of material it's made from. Memory foam is a type of plastic that doesn't dissipate heat very well. It may also trap heat under the covers because it isn't breathable enough.
For instance, the topper doesn't allow enough airflow underneath you to help prevent sweating and encourage evaporation of moisture.
That doesn't mean you can't have a mattress topper!
Manufacturers have done a lot over the years to help alleviate the problem of memory foam becoming a heatsink. New types of foam with open cells are used in toppers. These cells are essentially micro-sized pockets of empty space within the foam that are all interconnected, which allows air to flow through the memory foam.
If you've ever heard of the term breathability in relation to memory foam or mattresses, this is what they mean.
Course, that's not all!
You may also see gel foam on the market, which has a special gel infused into the memory foam. It helps keep the foam from heating up because the gel contains just a touch of moisture. This allows it to better dissipate heat away from the body. The great thing is you can combine open cell technology with gel foam for a double whammy of cooling properties.
Finally, manufacturers sometimes put a fabric cover on their memory foam products. This fabric is usually absorbent and breathable to help wick any moisture away from your body while also allowing for airflow.
Some will also incorporate extracts and additives, such as activated charcoal, to absorb moisture and prevent unpleasant odors. You may even see a couple of products in our top 10 list with these features.
Things To Consider Before Buying a Mattress Topper
All right, we've taken a look at a number of factors when it comes to mattress toppers. You'll need to use this information to make the best choice. But, just what do you need to consider before purchasing a topper?
In case you forgot, here's a quick list:
- Material Used
- Mattress Topper Density
- Mattress Topper Thickness
- Extra Features
Once you know the basics of each product, it should be easy for you to select the one that best meets your needs. To make it easier for you, we have put together our own top 10 list. You'll be able to find the best mattress topper for back pain through the simple comparison of the pros and cons of each product on our list.
One more look at extra features…
Now, we have tried to include a variety of different types of toppers on our list for your perusal. Each one should have something unique to offer customers. These are the extra features that help a product stand apart in the marketplace. Hopefully, they also add increased usability and benefit for you!
Some extra features that you may find in toppers include chemical and organic additives that absorb moisture, offer aromatherapy, and even prevent the growth of mold and mildew. Activated charcoal being one of these ingredients.
Other features may have to do with how the product is put together. Some of our mattress toppers are ventilated to improve breathability and airflow. They actually have holes cut into the foam material. Some toppers are covered with a fabric shell that provides extra softness and may help wick away moisture.
No matter what you're looking for these extra features can be the frosting on the proverbial cake that is your mattress topper.
A lot of people are surprised when they receive a delivery of their mattress topper only to find that it isn't as thick as they believed. Don't let this happen to you.
Memory foam thickness has a big impact on how supportive it is for those with back problems. A soft mattress topper can still provide support if it is a few inches thick. A firm mattress topper may not provide as much necessary support if it is only an inch or two thick. Then, there are the people who need something in-between; a combination of density and thickness that best suits their needs.
What can you do?
Always pay attention to the thickness of the mattress topper before you purchase it. Even if you are shopping in the store, it may be hard to tell. Many companies shrink wrap and seal their products to save space during shipping and on the shelves. This means that mattress toppers in the package will be very thin and not at all representative of their thickness after they have decompressed.
Read the descriptions. Check the product packaging. If all else fails, check the comments section or reviews to find out what other customers say about the final results.
What Is the Right Thickness?
Naturally, you'll want to do a little research before purchasing mattress topper. Different thicknesses are better for different purposes. Most toppers come in three basic widths:
- Two Inches
This is the thinnest version of a mattress topper. It's intended to provide a little bit of comfort and the features of memory foam, or the desired topper material. Some people may simply want a thin topper to help even out their beds or to warm their bed if they live in a cold climate.
- Three Inches
The most popular thickness in a mattress topper, 3" is about medium width. It will provide comfort, the features of the material it's made from, and a little extra support. A medium width mattress topper can help fill in the negative spaces of your body, such as your back, knees, and the curve of your neck.
- Four Inches
One of the thickest options available, this is considered most luxurious of mattress toppers. It will provide a lot of support and adjust easily to the negative spaces of your body. It can also help add height to your bed.
When you first receive your mattress topper and unroll it, it will take a few hours and even up to a day to fully decompress. Don't be too disappointed if it seems like your topper isn't as thick as expected when it first arrives. Give it a few days to fully inflate. If it still doesn't seem thick enough, then you may want to consider returning it.
In case we haven't said it enough in the past, we love product warranties and guarantees. This is a great endorsement of the product by its manufacturer. It also ensures that you can return your product, get a replacement, and possibly get a refund if there are problems.
What are some of the reasons to use a warranty?
A product warranty is in place to protect you in case your memory foam topper wears out within a few years or few months of purchase. You can usually use a warranty to get a replacement topper delivered.
It may also be possible to use a warranty if your product tears, or is otherwise damaged due to a defect in its manufacturer. This can be more of a gray area, but it never hurts to try to get that replacement.
You'll find that mattress topper warranties vary by company, but it is usually between one to three years. Being made from foam, this is usually close to the natural lifespan of a mattress topper.
So, why do some companies offer a product guarantee?
A product guarantee is a little more focused on customer satisfaction. Guarantees only last between 30 to 120 days after you purchase your mattress topper. Every company that offers a guarantee will make them good for the different length of time. Take a close look at the length of that guarantee before you purchase.
A product guarantee is the company's way of saying that you can return your mattress topper, usually for a replacement or your money back if you don't like it. Product guarantees are like an extra bit of insurance for those who like to shop online.
In the end, there are a variety of mattress toppers because every person has a specific set of requirements, even when it comes to back pain. If there is one that stood out to us as the best mattress topper for back pain, it is the Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Pad Bed Topper from Memory Foam Solutions.
This memory foam topper had both a density of 4 lbs./cu. ft. and a 3" thickness. This is what is really needed to provide both support and comfort for those with back and spine problems.