Birds do it, bees do it, and when you do it, you want to have the best possible mattress.
Mattresses are often measured by a number of things. For sleep, the ability to support one or two people (especially two people of significantly different sizes) makes a big difference.
The ability to help support you if you have a back problem, arthritis or another issue can also be an important factor. But for some, the most important idea of all is to find a mattress that enhances your sexual experiences.
So what makes the best mattress for sex?
We have looked at ten mattresses with great ratings in the naked fun time department and offer our thoughts on each.
Scroll down further to find the winner.
The Leesa is a direct-to-consumer mattress that offers a three-layer design. There is a layer for cooling, one for support, and one for relieving pressure. The Leesa mattress was designed by one of its co-founders, who was a master mattress craftsman looking for something different. He believed that choosing a firmness for a mattress was not necessary if you could find the right materials combination for support.
The Leesa mattress is a three-part combination of a solid core base, memory foam for pressure relief and Avena foam for airflow and bounce. When they are built to work together, they will adapt to your body weight & sleeping style, regardless of your size, level of injuries, or age. It offers ideal comfort for one or two sleepers.
On the sex front, there is a lot of support, good responsiveness, and little to moderate bounce to this particular model. This makes it a good fit for tantric sex and support for complicated yoga-style positions. It’s not great on the edge support front, but it gets high ratings for durability.
Sex on this mattress will have you begging for another round.
- 100-night trial to see if it’s the perfect mattress for you
- Considered to be the #1 rated Direct to Consumer Mattress by many publications
- Three layers of foam will adapt to your sleeping style, weight, and injury protection
- Topped by Avena memory foam
- Minimal motion transfer
Simple, excellent, reliable. Can’t get much better!
Moderate sinkage and minimal motion transfer offer a stable surface. The mattress has a minimal smell and easy setup, which means that you can go from package delivery to getting busy in a very short amount of time.
Gotta love it!
- Comes with removeable, washable cover
- Three-layers of foam to support, cool, and protect
- The memory foam “smell” comes with all new mattresses.
- Little side support
- The direct-to-customer aspect of these mattresses means that you can’t try before you buy, so you must go exclusively on reviews and trust in the 100-day guarantee.
Casper Sleep Mattress
Boasting an all-in-one waterproof cover, the makers of the Casper mattress have made a special point about how easy it is to keep clean after engaging in sexual activities. Four layers of foam help to provide a stable and comfortable lovemaking session and a supportive post-coital sleep.
Best of all, the mattress is supremely breathable, which keeps the sweat limited to fun time and not sleep time.
- Four-layer foam construction
- Comes with 100-night trial
- 10-year limited warranty
- Ships directly to your home in a box
- Direct-to-consumer pricing
- Made with a memory foam/latex hybrid
- 100 pound weight for the king size version
- King size mattress dimensions are 80 x 76 x 10 inches
Work up a sweat but feel cool all night long!
Casper came up with over 100 different versions of test mattress on their way to finding the perfect sleep surface. Their bed is equally great for both adventurous, acrobatic sex or comfortable, snuggly couples’ sex. It’s a great choice for young and old, bad back or young and limber alike. Best of all, it offers some great ventilation to cool you down.
- Comfortable during both sex and sleep
- Comes directly to your house rolled in a compact box
- Memory foam/latex hybrid is highly breathable
- Excellent bounce
- Direct-to-consumer means no test mattresses at the store
- Some memory foam smell upon opening
- Side support is not great
back to menu ↑ A good mattress for sex should be slightly firm to allow for more bounce and better traction. Extremely firm mattresses are not the best since they are not considered comfortable.
A good mattress for sex should be slightly firm to allow for more bounce and better traction. Extremely firm mattresses are not the best since they are not considered comfortable.
LUCID 10 Inch Latex Foam Mattress
At around $300, you may find yourself wondering what’s wrong with this green-certified memory foam mattress. However, a tumble beneath the sheets on the LUCID 10-inch may have you singing its praises and coming back for more.
This two-layer model boasts a Certi-PUR certification and the top 3-inch latex comfort layer reduces pressure points and adds bounce to sexual activities.
LUCID might just be a dream come true!
- 10-inch foam is made of 7 inches of high-density memory foam and 3 inches of latex topper
- Naturally resistant to allergens and dust mites
- 25-year warranty
- Shipped right to your door
- 80 x 60 x 10 inches and 84 pounds
It’s soft, it’s tough, it’s long-lasting, it’s green, it’s inexpensive. What’s not to love?
There’s much to love about this mattress and a lot of reason to make love on this mattress. Bounce is good, but the latex offers some vibration that is not as dampened as that of a memory foam mattress- while the foam still serves as the base and keeps it from rocking the bed frame, making love on the latex topper is a bit like feeling the vibrations of jello.
This is not a bad thing; in fact, it can amplify the experience, just be aware that you will have some response echoes. That same softness is fantastic at cradling the pressure points of anyone you want to invite into your bed.Latex and foam make a winning combination here!
- Green certification means no off-gassing and healthier breathing
- Directly delivered by mail and easy to set up
- Reviewers love their mattress years after purchase
- 25-year warranty
- Direct-to-consumer means no testing at the mattress store
- Some new foam smell upon setup recommended to air it out for 48 hours before use
LUCID 10 Inch Latex Foam Mattress
Video about LUCID 10 Inch Latex Foam Mattress
Lull 10-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
If you’re looking for a mattress that will truly mold to your needs, the Lull 10-inch memory foam mattress is a great choice. Expect your first sexual escapades on this model to be things that don’t require a lot of firmness; the first month on this puppy will be on a pretty firm base.
If it’s too much, their very attentive customer service will send you a gel topper, and you have 100 days to decide and return it if needed. But the three-layer design is great for support, the company offers free shipping both ways, and they go out of their way to make things right for you.
As for how it performs as a sex surface, the bounce is low but the support is high. This makes it good if you are trying tricky balance positions or you want something that absorbs most of the vibrations.
High-quality mattress means high-quality sex, right?
- Three-layer design with a cooling layer, a therapeutic support layer, and a durable bottom layer to help it last longer
- Made with Certi-PUR certified foam
- 10-year limited warranty
- Free delivery and returns
- 100-night trial period
- Queen is 69 pounds and 80 x 60 x 10 inches
Not a lot of bounce, but a lot of other things to like.
This is a great overall mattress. The company goes above and beyond and the mattress is designed to offer a lot of comfort for those with neck and back issues. This means that it provides a pretty supportive rest once you’ve finished and are ready to sleep.
Play hard then sleep hard with this model. Wow!
- Highly rated by Consumer Reports
- Free shipping and delivery and returns always
- Super firm for those who need extra support
- Gel topper available from customer service if you need a softer sleep surface
- Starts out very firm, which some people don’t care for
- Does not have handles so it is hard to move
- The extra firmness doesn’t promote a lot of bounce or fast response
Lull 10-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Video about Lull 10-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress
Zinus 10 Inch Performance Plus Extra Firm Spring Mattress
The Zinus 10-inch Performance Plus Extra Firm Mattress offers all of the support of a traditional coil spring bed topped by a 2.5-inch layer of high density and memory foams. This combination offers softness and relief from pressure points while giving you the true bounce levels you loved when jumping on beds as a kid.
If your favorite kind of lovemaking involves trampoline-like maneuvers, then this is a fantastic choice.
This mattress puts the jump in “jump their bones”.
- 1 .5 inch top Comfort Foam layer, 1-inch High-Density Foam Support layer
- Foam is CertiPUR-US Certified
- Extra firm support
- 10-year limited warranty
- Individually-wrapped coils in a 7.5-inch base layer
- Foam and Fiber Quilted with Jacquard Fabric
- 80 x 60 X 10 inches (Queen) and 109 pounds
If you want a little spring in your step after making love, try a little spring in your mattress!
This is a great option for comfort in the form of memory foam pillowtop mixed with great springs and the response and bounce that come with them.
Provided you get a no-noise box spring with this mattress (there is one made by the same company), the individual coils will keep the spring noise down, leaving you to reap all the benefits of a spring made bed.
- Good side support
- Fits all sizes and weights of bodies- excellent for plus sized people
- Individual coils offer a good balance for two differently-sized people
- Green-certified foam means no chemical off-gassing
- Springs are traditionally less durable than high-density foam and therefore will not last as long
- Extra-firm is not great for all body types
- Well-known Mattress Topper for Back Pain Reviews – Add Extra Support at Night (2018)
- Best Mattress for Stomach Sleepers Reviews – Your 2018 Guide
- Enjoyable Cooling Pillow Reviews – Make The Right Choice in 2018
Modway Aveline 8 Inch Gel Infused Memory Foam King Mattress
Not too hard, not too soft, the Modway Aveline 8 Inch Gel Infused Memory Foam King Mattress offers all the support you will need to try out different love-making routines and maneuvers.
Topped by gel-infused memory foam, this mattress will keep your body temperature steady, reducing perspiration. Its open-cell ventilated design reduces pressure points while conforming to your weight and changing positions.
A mattress that guarantees 100% satisfaction!
- Made of CertiPUR-US certified memory foam
- Vacuum-packed and rolled for easy shipping
- 10-year warranty
- 80 X 76 X 8 Inches (King) and 63 pounds
- Available in all sizes
Certainly, the perfect mattress for bedroom affairs.
If you are looking for a mattress that can spice up your bedroom games, then the Modway Aveline 8 Inch Gel Infused Memory Foam King Mattress is exactly what you need. This mattress offers universal comfort for any body weight. The fact that it alleviates pressure on the back, hips and shoulders, makes it the perfect choice for couples.
All-around strong with extra points for conscientious customer service.
- Highly rated mattress by consumer reviews
- CertiPUR-US certified, meaning that it is free of harmful chemicals and allergens
- Inexpensive pricing
- Does not retain heat and effectively controls body temperature
- Does not have a trial period
- Might be too firm for side sleepers
back to menu ↑ Consider breathability and temperature control for regular sexual escapades.
Consider breathability and temperature control for regular sexual escapades.
Purple The Bed King
If you haven’t seen Purple’s YouTube advertorial, it’s worth a viewing. The spokesperson, Goldilocks, makes it clear that the Purple Mattress is just right for her sleep and for everyone else.
To demonstrate pressure points, she attaches four raw eggs to a 230-pound piece of tempered glass and drops it from a three-foot height. None of the raw eggs break, even though they do break on other mattress types.
Internet reviewers across YouTube have duplicated the raw egg test with the same results, and they are consistently surprised by the comfort and the bounce that this bed provides. This translates into a good bounce, response, and support for the Purple mattress in the sex department, and bonus points for using a fairy tale character as your spokeswoman.
Raw eggs and costumes? Sounds like a lot of fun in the bedroom!
- Comes in only one firmness that is soft where you need it and firm where you need it
- Packaging is recyclable, all manufacturing waste is recycled
- 100-night trial with no questions asked return policy
- 75.5″ x 79.5″ x 9.5″ for a King
- Smart comfort grid made from hyperelastic polymer was developed by an “actual rocket scientist.”
- 144 pounds
- 10-year warranty
This is a fun company that will most certainly offer fun in the bedroom!
Before we begin the conclusion, it’s important to offer a note about the “mysterious white powder” that is on the product. Soft plastics are sticky, especially when they are compressed down. They are halfway to silly putty. To allow a mattress to respond when compressed, there needs to be a non-stick component to them, which is what the white polyethylene powder (NOT TALC OR BABY POWDER) does.
Most of the reviews warning people about this are from one-time reviewers with limited background information. Take them with a grain of salt. If you want a purple mattress and you are concerned about this, put it into a dust mite proof mattress cover, nothing will get through for you to breathe in.
Now: The conclusion is that this mattress is as fun as the company that makes it. Good bedroom support, supportive staff, whimsy, and an innovative grid structure on the cushion top make it one of the top choices.
Try purple and you won’t be blue!
- Buying this mattress means that you, too, can perform the egg test!
- Comfortable for pressure points, which means extra time digging knees, hips, or other parts of the body into the bed without pain
- Comes direct-to-consumer so no waiting to schedule a mattress delivery guy
- Little motion transfer to wake your sleeping partner after a night of passion
- A lot of negative hype about a white powder used to keep it from sticking to itself (more in the conclusion about this)
- No place to test it out because it’s direct to consumer
The Winkbed is categorized as a hybrid luxury bed. It offers 2 inches of support foam at the bottom, foam-encased coils, edge support, and a European pillow top.
This company really aims to please, so much so that they read bad online reviews and reviewer customers are getting personal calls from the founder hoping to help them change their mind about the beds. They offer a lot of the benefits of both foam and spring beds in the sex department, and if you want something that will let you be adventurous in a number of ways, this is a good choice.
Edge support is great, response and bounce are too. Because the springs are foam-covered, they’re not noisy and the foam helps keep them from wearing out as quickly.
A great overall choice and a company that really bends over backward to stand by their product (and so you can have fun when you try to bend over backward!)
- Four distinct layers plus edge support
- Highly breathable top layer made from eco-friendly Tencel
- Available in soft, medium, or firm
- Full support on the edge thanks to coil-on-coil design
- Optional add-on cooling and heating base
- 101 day trial period and 10-year warranty
Want luxury sex? Try this luxury bed!
This hybrid model has everything going for it that you would want in a mattress for both sleep and sex. The only two drawbacks are that it may be hard to find the “just right” firmness level for a couple that is more than 100 pounds different in weight and that the price is a bit more.
However, the company is so attentive that many unhappy reviewers come back and sing the mattress company’s praises, even when it’s not the right one for them.
Truly a risk-free (sexual) adventure!
- A seriously committed company who goes out of their way to make sure that you are happy.
- High-end luxury bed construction
- Many of the sexual advantages of foam plus all of the ones that come with springs
- Great bounce when you want it, limited motion transfer when you don’t
- Comes with “White Glove” setup service and mattress removal
- One of the priciest beds on the list
- May be difficult to fit two people of vastly different sizes comfortably on the same firmness level
Video about Winkbeds Mattress
eLuxurySupply Gel Memory Foam 10 Inch Mattress
The Gel Memory Foam 10 Inch Mattress from eLuxury Supply is designed to automatically contour your body as you get into the mood of a splendid night of lovemaking. It features 7 inches of high-density base foam that relieves pressure points and aligns the spine accordingly. Its 3-inch gel infused memory foam material ensures maximum comfort and breathability all night long.
What we love about this mattress is that it has a machine washable protective cover that allows you to mess around without holding back.
Foamy goodness? Yum!
- Made in the USA
- 41.6 X 19.2 X 19 Inches and 74.8 pounds
- 10-year warranty
- 7-inch high-density base foam
- Machine washable protective cover
- 3-inch gel infused memory foam
A winner in both the sex and sleep departments!
This mattress is a strong contender as far as comfort is concerned considering the fact that all mattresses from eLuxury Supply are assembled by hand to the highest standards, by highly skilled craftsmen.
It comes in all standard sizes ranging from the Twin Size to the California King Size. Whatever your preferences, you can always rest assured that this Gel Memory Foam mattress will always deliver when it comes to bedroom affairs.
Reviews are overwhelmingly positive, and who doesn’t like the idea of having something specially designed just for them?
Gotta love it!
- Comes with a machine washable protective cover for easy maintenance
- 120-day trial period for extra reassurance
- Manufactured by a reputable veteran-owned company in the USA
- 10-inch gel-infused memory foam delivers a comfortable, plush feel
- Automatically adjusts to the shape of your body, relieving pressure points
- Some customers have complained that the mattress is not as firm as expected
- Tends to sink over time
back to menu ↑ Always go for a mattress that is easy to move on for maximum sexual exploration and performance.
Always go for a mattress that is easy to move on for maximum sexual exploration and performance.
Ghostbed Memory Foam Mattress
The Ghostbed is a hybrid three-layer bed with latex and gel-infused memory foam. It has a plush, removable cover designed to wick away moisture and heat. It offers similar waterbed jiggles as the other latex mattresses on the market while tamping down the vibrations with the foam. Heat-absorbing gel beads are designed to keep your activities on the bed hot while your body stays cool.
Ghostbed offers an experience to die for (and then come back for more!)[/wpsm_box]
- Plush, removable wicking cover
- Direct-to-consumer delivery
- Heat-absorbing gel beads encased in a memory foam layer
- Latex top layer to reduce pressure points
Bad sex doesn’t stand a ghost of a chance with this mattress!
Overall, a strong contender. Not quite as many good reviews as the Purple but it costs less and many, many people have reviewed how much they love it. As a bonus, they seem to use Groupon and other promotions, so you can wait for a bargain.
For an extraordinary night, go with a ghost!
- Cool and breathable with a washable cover
- Comfortable, relieves pressure points
- Foam dampens vibration
- Limited edge support
- Foam doesn’t work for everyone, some side sleepers find it hard.
Best Mattress for Sex Rating Criteria
- Body Support
The extent to which a bed supports you when you are sleeping is important. It is equally important to consider how a bed supports you when you have twice the body weight in a space.
Is it adjustable? Firm? Does it cut off circulation to body parts?
When you are twenty, this may or may not be important to you. When you are 40 and above, it will become more critical.
The response time of a mattress is measured by the rate at which it adjusts to your body weight as you move around. Mattresses that have slower response times don’t offer much spring back and can feel like you’re sinking into the bed. This can be both good and bad.
A mattress that is ideal for sex will have a responsiveness rate that is able to rapidly adjust to your changes in movement, both during the act and while changing positions. You should feel as if you are well supported on a stable surface but not sunk into a block of clay.
While the noises that you make may be a fun part of sex, the noise that your bed makes can be a joy killer in many situations.
Parents who are trying to get precious alone time with children in the house, apartment dwellers with thin walls, and others who like their privacy will appreciate a quiet mattress that doesn’t squeak when you move. In all cases, the highest scores for noise will be with quiet mattresses.
This is the no-brainer of all of the criteria and one of the main reasons that beds are so popular for sex. Bounce allows you to have assistance during sex– it can enhance your movements or support your movements if you have physical restrictions.
Bounce should be a support factor for most, but not an invitation for acrobatic trampoline-like effects (though for some, there can be fun to be had like this).
The best bed in the world does you little to no good if it doesn’t last. A durable mattress saves you from having to make love in a deep hole in the middle of the bed a few years, or even months, down the line.
Because you will also be sleeping on your mattress, durability is one of the most important factors that we consider. It tells us how long all of these other sex-enhancing categories will enhance the value of your mattress.
- Edge Support
A strong, stable edge can support a surprising number of sexual positions. The last thing you want is to be on the edge of the bed, only to have it collapse and dump you on the floor. Strong edge support is not always present in a supportive mattress, but it is a bonus if you are interested in creativity and diversity of sexual positions.
Mattresses won’t win or lose the contest by edge support alone, but it is definitely the whipped cream on your… well, you get the picture.
Finally, the level of comfort you feel when you have sex can make a big difference. If you are aging or injured, you will want to be supported well in similar ways to sleep. Your size and weight will need to be able to fit on the bed (and on top of your partner) without creating a position that crushes them.
The other aspect of comfort is what you will be doing with your mattress the rest of the time. Can you get a good night’s sleep spooning? Both these factors are considered when judging a mattress for comfort.
back to menu ↑
The Types of Mattresses
What’s the best category of bed for sex?
There are a few major types of mattress, each of which has a few pros and cons when it comes to sex. Here is a look at each and what they have to offer in terms of the rating criteria.
Fun with wave action!
If you’re into a seventies-style love nest, the waterbed is probably a staple concept in your idea of a mattress for sex. While the waterbed offers some interesting and unpredictable bounce, it’s not one for creating a stable structure for your more yoga-inspired pages from the Karma Sutra.
Edge support is great, but it comes in the form of a frame, so consider padding it or be aware of hard, sharp edges. Rebound is instant, but it comes with a ripple effect and a back-slosh.
Comfort is great if you’re in good shape, but the older you get, the more likely it is to sleep in some pretty uncomfortable positions. It can be filled to firmer, but there will be a point where you have to decide between the risk of popping and level of support.
One remote, two zones of fun!
Air beds, made famous by the sleep number, have inflatable chambers that you can use to customize your support. Many of them come with remote controls that allow you to inflate to different points through the night.
Dual-sided airbeds allow you to customize two different levels of inflation and comfort. This has a downside for sex in that you may have to choose between a comfortable inflation level that is relatively equal on both sides if you don’t want to feel like you’re rolling downhill when in the middle of the bed.
These beds offer good bounce, but it is a whole-mattress kind of bounce, not isolated. This can up the noise potential if your bed is not well-supported, as the bed is relatively likely to move and bang.
Side support varies, but many run the same way as foam since they often include foam toppers. Like with waterbeds, vigorous activity comes with some risk of popping.
- Foam Mattresses
This new favorite bed material has a lot going for it!
Foam is a good choice for support, and it offers some good, solid points to plant your hands, knees, elbows, or whatever else. It is a natural extension of a yoga mat and good for response, comfort, and structure.
Vibration is minimized, noise is dampened, and there is no risk of popping. Side support is the single downside for these mattresses. It is not great on foam, and if you want it for attempting certain positions, you will need to look into a bed with padded side supports.
- Inner Springs
A classic shouldn’t be overlooked!
Box springs, like waterbeds, tend to amplify vibrations.This is the classic, original bed style. It has a series of springs that may or may not be coated. It offers superior bounce, but it may come with noise, particularly a squeak while you are in the throes of passion. That noise tends to be amplified by a box spring.
This means quick response (especially when it’s newer- less so as the springs age and start to lose their rebound) but it means that it is not as good as foam for trying unique positions without finding yourself shaken loose.
back to menu ↑
Which Type Is The Best For Sex?
It may not be a coincidence that there has been more mainstreaming of adventurous and acrobatic sex as foam mattresses have become more popular. It definitely offers the best support for this. It will offer the best overall sleep when you are ready for a rest. It performs very well in every category except side support.
However, there are ways to get creative without it, including choosing a bed frame with a low foot and working with the structure of that foot, rotating your activities by 90 degrees.
Airbeds VS Waterbeds
Motion transfer is less on an airbed than a waterbed, though the slosh of a waterbed can be fun, provided you don’t make yourself seasick.
The most important thing that both have in common is the ability to leak. While this can cause a lot more problems to your home if the waterbed leaks, the airbed that leaks can make it difficult to pinpoint the problem area and repair it. Both are at risk to popping by overly vigorous activity.
But it still might be fun trying to get there…back to menu ↑
The thing to remember about the warranty on any bed is that it’s typically limited. Here are a few things to consider when you look at the different warranties being offered:
What condition must the mattress be in?
If you’re reading this article, you’re probably planning to have sex on your new mattress. Be certain to have a waterproof cover on the mattress in order to save any risk of staining. This can void your warranty in many, many cases.
What does the warranty cover?
Sinkage of a spot on the bed by more than an inch to three inches is typically what is covered in a warranty.
Do you get a replacement mattress, money back, or something else?
It’s important to note that you may be able to get some more help with a defective purchase beyond the warranty. Certain credit cards and stores stand by their purchases and you can get help through them when the warranty isn’t enough on its own.
A good tip for the savvy shopper.
Overall, most of the foam mattresses were the best combination of features. Of the foam mattresses, the LUCID 10-inch Latex Foam Mattress just barely squeaked out a victory thanks to its combination of a warranty two and a half times longer than anyone else's, green-certified foam, and a price that was significantly cheaper than just about everybody else. While it's not the fanciest mattress in the lot, it definitely offers the best opportunity for the most people to have a great time.
Thanks for reading! Wishing you long nights of fun followed by restful sleep.