The duvet is a unique kind of bedding. It provides a measure of warmth and breathability that no other bedding can offer. Whether you are looking for a duvet insert to replace your old one or you have finally decided to take the duvet plunge for the first time, it's essential to find one that best duvet insert that suits your needs.
Are you ready to be spoilt for choice?
Surprisingly, there are a lot of options out there for this product. No single duvet brand is the same as another. You'll want to put a little time and effort into researching your purchase before making a final selection. Of course, we understand that it's a busy world out there. Everyone has jobs, kids to mind, or everyday tasks they need to get too. You don't have a lot of free time to research products in depth.
We will show you the markers to pay attention to!
To make things easier and help you find the right duvet insert for your bed, we've put together a list of our top 10 inserts. Feel free to peruse both the positives and the negatives of these products. Hopefully, you'll find one that brings you sweet, sweet dreams.
Royal Hotel's King/California-King Size Down-Alternative Comforter - Duvet Insert
Are you looking for a duvet insert that feels as soft as it is luxurious?
The Royal Hotel California King Down Alternative Comforter is just what you've been searching for. Lightweight and breathable, you'll think you were sleeping underneath a fluffy cloud. Yet, the down alternative filling helps keep you cozy, even in winter.
You'll also be able to use this bright white insert by itself with classic or minimalist décor. Available in multiple sizes, the king is just what we recommend.
The ultimate in luxury! Our amazing light 600 fill power 58 oz fill weight down-alternative-comforter (Microfiber filling) floats within a 100% Micro-Fiber Cover and filling . The result is a ...
- King/Cal-King size insert measuring 106" x 90"
- Contains 58 oz. 100% goose down alternative filling
- Boasts a soft 100% microfiber cover
The Royal Hotel California King Down Alternative Comforter offers a few extra inches so you're not fighting a significant other over the covers. It looks just as good in your bedroom as it does on the cover.
- The extra-large duvet is large enough for you and your significant other to sleep without having to fight over the covers.
- Stay comfortable year-round with a breathable, but warm with goose down alternative filling.
- It won't set off your allergies, if feathers bother you, and is also resistant to mold and mildew.
- The box-stitching design helps prevent the filling from bunching or shifting inside your duvet.
- Lightweight filling won't feel heavy on you while trying to get to sleep.
- Fully stitched edging helps prevent any tearing.
- Soft, classic white cover is attractive enough to use this insert without a duvet cover.
- This duvet insert is machine washable.
- Those who live in a milder climate may find the duvet insert is too warm for comfort.
- Extra-length on the sides may cause the insert to touch the floor, which some people don't like.
- It is a California King size, so you might have trouble finding duvet covers that fit and also come with a broader selection of designs.
- Some people report that this cover isn't thick enough and feels too lightweight.
Balichun All Season Luxury Duvet Insert White Goose Down Alternative Comforter
Get ready to sink into so much fluffiness that you'll have a hard time finding your way to the edge of the bed in the morning. The Balichun All Season Luxury Duvet Insert is one of the thickest we've had the opportunity to review.
It is available in two versions, an all-season/thicker one and a summer weight/thinner insert. The manufacturer also produces these duvets in different sizes from twin to king and a variety of colors.
You know what’s the best?
We love the 60-day money-back guarantee. Try it and if you don't like, you'll get the money back with no questions asked.
Balichun Comforter is suitable for all seasons, especially for spring, fall and winter, you will also feel very comfortable in air conditioned environment in summer. Our comforter is the softest and ...
- Oversized King insert measures 96" X 108"
- Filled with 106 Oz. 100% Storm goose down alternative polyester
- Features a 20% cotton & 80% regenerated cellulose fiber blend cover
- Hypoallergenic; Protected against dust, mold, & mildew
- Comes with a 60-day Balichun guarantee
If you are in search of a traditional duvet to disappear into at night, Balichun All Season Luxury Duvet Insert is the closest bet for the money. The various options also provide plenty of flexibility.
- Snuggle up in this luxurious, thickly padded insert that is great for cold weather.
- Did we mention how fluffy it is? This version is about eight inches thick.
- The polyester filler will take it easy on your allergies.
- An oversize king insert like this is hard to find at affordable prices.
- The insert is made in multiple colors, including black, brown, light gray, and blue. However, the king sizes are popular and other colors may be sold out.
- You have the option of a thinner/summer weight version with about 88 oz. of filler.
- Box-stitching helps keep the filler material from bunching up inside the duvet.
- Pop it into the washing machine whenever you want to freshen it up.
- Comes in a fabric zippered bag with handles for storage.
- Features eight loops to help prevent duvet cover sag.
- It is very thick, even the lighter summer version is still about seven inches. If you live in a mild climate may seem too hot and heavy.
- The other color options in larger sizes are frequently not available.
- You may need to take this massive comforter to your laundry mat to wash in one of the bigger machines.
- Some find that the outer cover has a slippery, synthetic feel, as opposed to a soft to the touch texture.
King Comforter Duvet Insert
Do you love the exclusive softness?
For something a little fluffier, turn to the ultra-plush King Comforter Duvet Insert from Utopia Bedding. With a clean, modern look and bright white cover, you'll be tempted to use this duvet insert without the cover. Feel free to do so, because, it's also machine washable.
- King comforter measures 102" X 90"
- Contains 350 grams per square meter (GSM) down alternative polyester filling
- 100% polyester hypoallergenic cover
- This large duvet insert can also serve as a comforter if you like a classic white look or just don't want to bother with covers.
- The box-stitching helps prevent the filling from bunching up, so the insert provides even warmth and coverage.
- The hypoallergenic cover and filler is mold, mildew, and dust-mite resistant. A big plus for those living in areas that are dealing with a mite epidemic.
- The filler is siliconized polyester for a light, fluffy consistency that is breathable and cozy.
- Piped edging on the insert helps make it more durable for improved longevity. You won't have to worry about the insides coming out of this duvet.
- Just pop this duvet into the washing machine on a gentle cycle with cold water whenever needed. You can also sundry or tumble dry it on low.
- The duvet may feel a little short on the sides for those who like a lot of overhang.
- This is sold primarily as a comforter with duvet insert elements, such as the loops for tying it to a cover. However, some may feel that it's not thick enough to qualify.
- The duvet takes a long time to dry after washing it.
- Some people have reported getting inserts with a few spots on them. This all seems to be centered around a cluster of sales in the same period. So, it may be limited to a bad batch of product from that time.
Superior Solid White Down Alternative Comforter, Duvet Insert
When you want a duvet that has a little extra heft to it, the Superior Solid White Down Alternative is your best choice. We like our 'clouds' to be weighed down a bit. Superior certainly delivers with this 10-lb. comforter slash insert. You'll like the ultra-soft shell, which is also hypoallergenic.
Plus, Superior offers a product guarantee which helps if you find a flaw or this duvet doesn't live up to its claims.
***Grand Down is now Superior brand*** Affordable Luxury Linens A comforter made not only to be used all year round but for those looking to sleep in the clouds. The versatile solid white shell will ...
- King sized duvet insert measuring 108" x 90"
- Contains 100 Oz. Of down alternative polyfill
- The outer cover is 100% microfiber
- Comes with a superior brand guarantee
Do you like it when your bedding hugs you in your sleep? Well, this heavier weight Superior Solid duvet is just the answer.
- The box-stitching on the duvet helps keep the polyester filler from shifting around.
- It is also machine washable and can be tumble dried on low heat.
- The microfiber shell is super soft to the touch and won't leave sensitive skin feeling scratched.
- Microfiber is also very durable and resistant to stains.
- You'll enjoy the hypoallergenic construction of this duvet. It resists molds, mildews, and dust mites.
- It is about 2" thick and very fluffy. Those who love cuddling under a massive comforter or duvet will like Superior brand.
- This is an ideal weight for all seasons, so you can stay warm even in winter.
- There is more filling in this duvet so it may feel a little heavy to some sleepers.
- Even though it is rated as machine washable, some have reported that the corners torn in the wash. Superior did offer to replace these inserts.
- This duvet insert doesn't feature any loops or tabs on the corners to tie it into place inside a duvet cover.
- It's bigger and fluffier, so you may have some trouble storing the insert when not in use.
LINENSPA All-Season White Down Alternative Quilted Comforter
Those four corner loops just aren't enough to keep the cover snug. LINENSPA has created a patented design to help keep this happening to their All-Season White Down Alternative Quilted Comforter. Yes, it's marketed as a comforter, but it's thick, it's fluffy, and it has loops!
- California King comforter measures 102" x 96"
- The filler is a goose down alternative
- Features a soft microfiber cover
- LINENSPA provides a 3-year warranty on this comforter
This medium weight comforter provides the best of both worlds for those who live in a temperate climate. Warm, but not so hot that you wake up with heatstroke. All-Season White Down Alternative Quilted Comforter also offers eight loops to prevent the dreaded sag…
- This is an all-season comforter, so you can use it in cool weather too.
- Its goose down alternative is breathable, to help keep you from getting overheated.
- The box-stitched top helps keep the material inside from clumping or shifting.
- It features a unique patented eight-tab set design to help keep duvet covers from sagging. These loops are positioned at the sides and corners.
- The microfiber fill is resistant to dust mites and dander.
- This is reversible and available in different colors. You could pick out a gray and navy duvet, or a sand and mocha colored one. LINENSPA also offers a classic white comforter too.
- It's a medium weight comforter, so you may not find it quite warm enough in the coldest of climates.
- Product instructions say this is machine washable, but people have reported that it tears in the washer or melts in the dryer. You may want to stick with dry cleaning.
- It's a comforter with duvet corners, rather than a traditional duvet insert.
- Relaxing Pillows for Side Sleepers - The Full 2017 Reviews
- Down Alternative Comforters Review - Your Restful Nights of Sleep in 2017
- Enjoyable Cooling Pillows Review – Make The Right Choice in 2017
- Comfy Memory Foam Pillows Review - Choose The Perfect One In 2017
Natural Comfort Soft and Luxurious 300TC Sateen White Down Alternative Duvet Insert
Settle in for the night with this massive duvet insert on your bed. The Natural Comfort Soft and Luxurious insert is ideal for people who want or need some extra material in bedding. Available in a plain white color, this duvet features the corner loops so you can enhance it with another shade or design on a duvet cover.
Of course, you can also pick it up in another size, including twin, queen, king, California king, and oversize queen.
Cover yourself In Something Soft and Luxurious. 100-Percent Combed Cotton Ticking,100-Percent Poly Cluster Fiber Fill Down Alternative; Oversize Cal-King - 104-Inch by 98-Inch (89-Ounce);Oversize ...
- Oversize Cal-King measures 104" X 98"
- Contains 100% polyester filler, weighing 89 Oz.
- The outer shell is 300 thread count, 100% cotton
- It is hypoallergenic
This natural comfort duvet insert was one of the few we found with a cotton shell in this price range. It helps with breathability if you sweat a lot.
- If you don't like polyester or microfiber, the soft, warm cotton shell should be very attractive.
- Cotton helps wick away sweat and other moisture, and the polyester should be breathable.
- This duvet insert offers a nice heft for those who like to feel a little weight on their bodies while they sleep.
- It is suitable for all-seasons. You'll feel cozy in winter and comfortable in mild summers.
- This oversize version of the insert will provide plenty of extra material to curl up under.
- It resists mold, mildew, and dander.
- Those who want a simple look will like the white color and striped design.
- Box-stitching is used to help keep the filler in place.
- The duvet insert claims to be machine washable in cold water with non-chlorinated bleach.
- Some may find that the cotton shell wrinkles more than another type of material.
- People have reported that the comforter sheds polyester through the shell, especially after washing.
- Sometimes, the filler material tends to ball up inside each of the box-stitched sections.
Luxurious King/California King Size Siberian Goose Down Comforter
Of course, there is nothing quite like an authentic goose down comforter, and this is a huge one available at a great price. The Luxurious King/California King Size Siberian Goose Down Comforter from Egyptian Bedding also features a 100% satisfaction guarantee, which we always love in a product.
If you aren't happy with the duvet insert after you get it or find something wrong, reach out to the company to replace it.
Package contains 1 Egyptian BeddingÂ® Goose Down Comforter in a beautiful zippered package. Wrap yourself in these 100% Egyptian Cotton Superior Down comforters that are truly worthy of a classy ...
- King/California King size measures 106" X 90"
- Enjoy white goose down filling in this 70 Oz. comforter
- 100% Egyptian cotton shell
- Comes with an Egyptian Bedding 100% guarantee
I bet you like it traditional.
Yes, this is a real goose down duvet insert. Luxurious King/California King Size Siberian Goose Down Comforter will be breathable, fluffy, and might make you sneeze, in case you're allergic.
- You get real goose down feathers in this comforter for a super fluffy and luxurious feel.
- The outer shell is made from 1200 thread count Long Staple Giza Cotton, so it is very durable and long lasting
- It has an internal lining to help keep the feathers from coming out.
- It is hard to find a goose down comforter in this size.
- The insert provides breathable warmth year-round. You won't feel too hot in summer or cold in winter.
- It features piped edging to help keep the corners from tearing.
- The box-stitching stops its feather filling from bunching up to provide even warmth.
- Those with allergies may still find that the goose down is irritating.
- The plastic insert makes this kind of loud bedding, so you may hear more noise than usual when changing sleep positions in bed.
- The industry doesn't tightly control where the feathers come from, so feathers may not come from well-managed and run farms.
- It may feel too heavy for some people who are light sleepers.
The ULTIMATE White Down Goose Alternative Comforter Duvet Insert
Make sure you sleep warmly with this ULTIMATE White Down Goose Alternative Comforter & Duvet Insert from Lavish Comforts. With a soft microfiber cover, cozy polyester filling, and sleek white shade, this duvet insert ticks all the boxes. We've taken a look at the queen size, but Lavish Comforts offers it in a twin, king, and California king too.
Treat yourself to a luxurious night sleep with Lavish Comforts Double Brushed Extra Soft Microfiber Down Alternative Duvet Comforter. This is an all season comforter that will keep you warm all year ...
- Queen Size dimensions measure 90" X 90"
- Features a Premium Doubled-Brushed 1800 Series polyester microfiber cover
- 100% polyfiber fill
- It is also hypoallergenic and allergy free
It may be the love at the first touch!
A super soft to the touch microfiber shell will leave you wanting to stay in bed all day. However, it may not be as fluffy as the other duvet inserts.
- Still offers plenty of extra material for a queen size bed.
- The microfiber cover is very soft and touchable. You'll feel like you're sleeping in luxury hotel bedding.
- The filler material is mold and mildew resistant.
- It is also breathable, so you'll be comfortable in warm seasons too.
- Box-stitching helps keep the filling from moving around inside.
- This is also machine washable to save time and money on dry cleaners.
- It weighs about seven pounds, so it won't feel too heavy when you are sleeping.
- Available in a bright white shade that is ideal for minimalists.
- Some people have reported that this is not as thick and fluffy as they expected. A few even found that the boxes weren't completely filled.
- The microfiber appears to collect pet fur easily. If you own a dog or cat, you might want to ban your pet from the bed.
- Some also reported that their inserts didn't come with the corner ties to use with a duvet cover.
Natural Comfort White Down Alternative Comforter with Embossed Microfiber Shell
If you like the convenience of a duvet insert, but don't want the warmth, consider the lightweight Natural Comfort White Down Alternative Comforter with Embossed Microfiber Shell. You'll be able to switch up the décor in your bedroom with a new duvet cover every month!
Yet, you won't have to deal with the heaviness of a traditional duvet insert. This is made with allergy friendly polyester and microfiber, so you can enjoy cuddling up without worrying about dander, mildew, or mold.
Snuggle yourself in this light weighted microfiber down alternative comforter. Micro-Fiber cover features an extremely soft touch and outstanding durability. Box stitch construction keeps fill evenly ...
- King Size measures 104" X 95" X 1"
- Filler is 100% new polyester material; Weighs 34 Oz.
- 100% microfiber embossed cover
- It is hypoallergenic
Thin and lightweight, this duvet insert is ideal for those who live in tropical environments…Or who lack air-conditioning in the summertime.
- The generous amount of material on this duvet insert is great for couples and big adults.
- It is made with all new material, so you don't have to worry about where the stuffing came from.
- As if we haven't mentioned it enough, microfiber is super soft to the touch and also stain resistant.
- Your sinuses will thank you for getting this hypoallergenic bedding. No itchy, runny nose or eyes while trying to sleep.
- Box-stitched to prevent shifting of the filler.
- It is a lightweight duvet, that is ideal for warmer climates or summertime.
- It does have loops so you can tie the insert into place inside a duvet cover.
- You can wash this comforter in the washing machine.
- Many people report that the insert is too thin for their liking. It is a lightweight version, so won't have the same thickness as a traditional duvet.
- At the same time, some still feel that it is too hot. This comforter may not breathe as well as others.
- The microfiber will attract pet hair like crazy.
- It is only available to Amazon Prime members right now.
Chezmoi Collection Heavyweight Filled Goose Down Alternative Comforter
Give your bedding a clean, minimalist look with the Chezmoi Collection Heavyweight Filled Goose Down Alternative Comforter from Green Living Group INC. Made with an allergy friendly polyester fiber filling, the comforter is resistant to molds and mildews. It is also listed as a winter weight duvet with loops so you can use a duvet cover to change up your décor at any time.
Hypoallergenic down comforters provide the warmth and softness of down that minimize the development of allergic reactions. It can make a big difference in sleep comfort and overall allergy levels. ...
- Queen size duvet measures 88'' x 88"
- 56 Oz. of 100% poly fiber
- Hypoallergenic materials
- Heavy weight for winter temperatures
A durable find, the Chezmoi duvet insert also provides plenty of warmth in cold weather. This is surprising considering that it is only filled with 56 oz. of polyester fiber fill.
- The polyester fiber fill is hypoallergenic. You won't have to deal with allergens like mildew, mold, and dander
- It is heavier than many comforters and provides plenty of warmth in cold weather.
- A box-stitched design helps keep the filling from bunching up.
- You can machine wash it on the gentle cycle with cold water and sun dry or tumble dry it on low
- Piped edging makes the duvet more durable and helps prevent tears in the seams.
- It features four loops or tabs to anchor the insert in a duvet cover.
- Filling is soft and cozy for those who prefer luxurious bedding.
- May flatten out a little bit after you have it for a while.
- Some report that the duvet wasn't as thick as they expected for heavyweight bedding.
- Some also reported that it was too hot for comfort, even during the winter.
- This is the Queen size comforter, so may not be large enough for some. However, the manufacturer does offer a King size.
- If you are something that breathes, this may not be the best selection.
How We Tested
It's always important to find out how the manufacturer tested a product for the marketplace. Companies that use a stringent process may advertise this in their product descriptions and on their packaging. It can reassure the customer about the quality and longevity of an item they have purchased.
Usually, product testing is built into the manufacturing process. Companies will take samples of the materials used in the construction of a duvet insert and test each one to ensure it meets industry standards and their minimum standards.
What does that mean?
Almost every manufacturer has to meet certain industrywide standards that have been set, either by federal government or an industry regulatory organization.
Basically, these standards are like the minimum quality needed to ensure that a product or material is not dangerous or toxic for the customer. Standards may also require that a product be durable to a certain point, flame retardant, mold or mildew resistant, or water resistant.
|Product Name||Image||Filling||Weight||Overall Rating||Details|
|Royal Hotel’s King/California-King Size Down-Alternative Comforter – Duvet Insert||Microfiber||8.7 pounds||9,5||Check price|
|Balichun All Season Luxury Duvet Insert White Goose Down Alternative Comforter||Goose down alternative||11 pounds||10||Check price|
|King Comforter Duvet Insert||Siliconized fiberfill||7.2 pounds||9.5||Check price|
|Superior Solid White Down Alternative Comforter, Duvet Insert||Down alternative polyfill||10 pounds||9||Check price|
|LINENSPA All-Season White Down Alternative Quilted Comforter||Microfiber||6.2 pounds||8||Check price|
|Natural Comfort Soft and Luxurious 300TC Sateen White Down Alternative Duvet Insert||Polyester||9.9 pounds||8||Check price|
|Luxurious King/California King Size Siberian Goose Down Comforter||Down & Feather-Fill||10 pounds||8.5||Check price|
|The ULTIMATE White Down Goose Alternative Comforter Duvet Insert||Microfiber||6.8 pounds||8||Check price|
|Natural Comfort White Down Alternative Comforter with Embossed Microfiber Shell||Polyester||3.7 pounds||7||Check price|
|Chezmoi Collection Heavyweight Filled Goose Down Alternative Comforter||Poly fiber||6 pounds||8.5||Check price|
Some companies will set more stringent standards for themselves so that a well-made product reaches the market. Standards like these have more to do with material longevity, durability, touch, and appearance. They are also in place to help ensure every item that rolls off the assembly line is the same.
How Do They Test?
Each part of the product tends to be tested separately to ensure that it meets those standards. This means testing the softness of the fiber fill, and the strength of the outer shell. They may also check the thread count to ensure that it is a tight enough seal for the filling.
A sample may be put together with the seams and inside stitching for examination that the stitches are even and strong. Towards the end of the production line, someone from quality control might pull a duvet insert periodically to examine the finished product for quality.
If they find any faults or problems with any part of the process, the company will try to figure out the cause and come up with an appropriate solution.
Some examples of potential problems might be, low thread count, loose stitching, or stains on the final product. Once these problems are discovered, the quality control agent will go along the line, examining each stage involved in the construction of that part of the duvet until they find the source of the issue.
How To Choose
Oh, there are so many choices.
How will you ever pick the right duvet insert to meet your needs? Well, don't let yourself be overwhelmed.
Start by thinking about how you sleep and what is wrong with your current bedding. Ask yourself if you would like a little extra material, or if you want something that is a heavier weight. Do you find that it's too hot to sleep or are you too cold at night? This will help you select a duvet that meets your basic sleep needs, such as a summer duvet insert.
Next, you'll want to focus on form and function.
Think about the kind of interior decoration you prefer in the bedroom. Many duvets are available in all white, so you can change up the look with a cover. Or you can simply stick with the classic white for a minimalist appearance. Some duvet shells will have different texture or may be matte or shiny. If you dislike a shiny or sateen texture, you'll be able to avoid it by paying close attention to the product description and pictures.
Don't forget to measure the length and width of your mattress. Write this number down on a piece of paper and refer to it when checking the sizes of inserts. Some people like to have a good amount of overhang on their beds. If you are one of them, you'll want a duvet insert that is at least 24" wider and longer than the mattress measurements. Otherwise, you may get the insert home only to be disappointed by its lack of coverage.
If you're sharing your bed with a significant other, you might want to get their input as well. This can help you make an informed decision that will be satisfying for the both of you.
All Types Of Duvet Inserts
So, you want to buy a duvet insert. Well, one duvet is as good as another isn't it?
There are multiple materials used in the creation of a duvet insert, and each one has its own special features and characteristics. Some are not as suitable for bedding as others, so it's important to do a little bit of research before you buy. Let's get started!
- Goose Down Feathers
A classic filler material, goose down feathers are what give duvet inserts their fluffy warmth. Many people who have used goose down feel that it is the ultimate in the luxury. The feathers are natural, and serve the purpose of trapping warm air inside the duvet and holding it close to your body.
However, there are some downsides.
Down feathers are more expensive compared to other materials used as filling in bedding and household goods. So, if you are looking for an insert with feathers. It may be quite pricey, especially if you want one that is well-made and very thick.
Down feathers can also irritate your allergies. Those who are allergic to mildew, mold, and mites, may notice their allergies getting worse with an old down feather insert. This is due to the way the feathers break down and start decaying over time.
- Polyester Fiber Fill
Also known as goose down alternative, this is a modern filling used in all types of bedding and household goods. Strands of polyester fiber are spun by machine until they become light and airy.
This material may be formed into sheets of polyester fill or simply made into wads of fluff that are stuffed into items. Polyester is less expensive than goose down, and won't host mildew, mold, or dust mites. But, it does have its drawbacks too.
Polyester can become compressed or clump up over time. This is a common problem that can lead to a flat duvet if not enough of the filling is used to compensate. It is also lightweight compared to feather down, which some people don't like.
A Word On Weight
Before you go shopping to select your new piece of bedding, you should also decide what kind of weight you're looking for in an insert. Many brands produce inserts in the following categories:
- Medium Weight
These categories help you choose a duvet insert that is appropriate for your climate and season. A lightweight insert has less filler material in it and may only be an inch or two thick. A heavyweight insert has lots of filler material inside and can be between 8" to 10" thick. Of course, the super fluffy heavyweight inserts are much more difficult to find at affordable prices.
Duvet Insert Down Alternative
Now, you know that down alternative material is essentially synthetic fiber fill. But, did you know that there are many types of down alternative available?
One of the most inexpensive types of down alternative is polyester fiber fill, which is a man-made product derived from long chain polymers. However, you can also find down alternative in the form of Rayon and Cotton.
The former is a product made from cellulose, the same stuff that is present in wood fiber. It can be less expensive than down feathers, and also has a slight sheen under the light. But, you won't find a lot of duvet inserts made with Rayon filler.
You may find more inserts with cotton fiber fill. This natural product may be washed and bleached to remove any allergens. It will have a bit more heft to it than polyester, and absorbs moisture very well. This can be useful for evaporation to prevent sweating in the night.
Before you purchase any duvet insert, it's a good idea to check and see what is inside of it. Otherwise, people who have allergies to goose down, or other alternative materials may develop symptoms in the night and not realize why it's happening.
Why You Should Choose Duvet Insert?
It begins with the night air being just a little too chilly for comfort. You are tempted to turn up the heating but don't want to risk raising your gas bill. You make due by piling on another blanket and hope the layers will keep you warm throughout the night.
First one extra blanket is enough, and then you have to use two, and still your toes are cold and it takes forever to warm up the bed when you first get in. Adding any more blankets would make you feel like you were suffocating! What you need is another solution.
Those who crave a warm, inviting place to sleep at night can find it in a well-made duvet insert. It is a unique combination of insulating material wrapped up in a tightly woven, soft outer shell. The insert operates like no other type of bedding to help keep you warm.
Think about, how cozy, cuddly, and protected you feel against the elements in one of those puffy jackets during the wintertime.
Duvet inserts operate on the same principle as your outerwear. They use a layer of puffy strands of fiber to trap air that is warmed by your body. Soon, this air becomes a barrier against the colder air outside the bed. You get all of the benefits of insulation without the heavy weight that comes from several blankets. Even the thickest of polyester fiber fill duvets will still feel like a cloud on your body.
That's not the only reason duvet inserts are great…
This bedding is also very flexible. Those who like to change up the look of their room on a monthly or seasonal basis can do so easily with a duvet insert. All that you need is a new duvet cover to go over the outside of the insert. There are manufacturers that produce duvet covers in a wide variety of materials, colors, and patterns.
A properly constructed duvet insert will have between two to eight loops sewn into the outside edges. These loops can be used to secure duvet covers to the insert so it doesn't shift around inside.
When your cover gets soiled or you want to change it out for a new one, all you have to do is untie it and pull it off. Just like changing your pillowcase. Covers also can be thrown into the wash with your other bed sheets, so duvets only require a small amount of regular care.
What You Need To Know As a Duvet Insert User
Duvets are not the ultimate, one and only perfect bedding for everyone. Yes, it's hard to believe, especially after all of those glowing reviews. However, the duvet may not meet your specific requirements.
You probably wouldn't want a duvet if you lived in the very tip of Florida. Of course, if you really like the idea of the duvet insert. Feel free to try one. Just make sure that you look for a brand that is lightweight and breathable. This will allow air to circulate more freely and also encourage evaporation of sweat, so you don't feel quite as stuffy underneath one.
It may be too puffy…
Some people also find the cloudlike qualities of thicker duvets to be uncomfortable. You may be the sort of sleeper who likes to curl up while wrapping a blanket completely around yourself.
Duvets don't wrap as well, so you may end up feeling a little exposed because you can't tuck the corners under yourself. Parents who want duvet insert toddler can enjoy may not be able to satisfy them if the little ones like to wrap up like burritos in their blankets.
The puffiness of a duvet also means that it takes up a lot of space. Those who live in small apartments and have tiny bedrooms find that this bedding dominates the area.
It can also be difficult to store in a small linen closet if you ever feel like you need to take the duvet off your bed during the summertime. Of course, there are many lightweight brands that produce a compact duvet insert. You'll be able to enjoy the benefits of a duvet without all of the extra fluff.
Something that any online shopper should keep in mind is the product warranty. E-commerce makes it easy to purchase a few or a lot of items in the comfort of your own home. However, all of the pictures, video, and customer reviews in the world won't give you the opportunity to pick up and hold the actual product.
This only happens when that box arrives on your doorstep like a gift from a long-lost friend. If you open up your box to find the duvet insert you purchased was not what you expected, you should have the opportunity to return it.
It's all about product quality.
When you purchase online, you may also have concerns about the longevity and construction of the item you're about to receive. A warranty can go a long way towards alleviating those worries.
Not many of the duvet manufacturers in our best duvet insert top 10 list specifically mention a warranty, but there are a few. This gives you the satisfaction of knowing that the company stands behind its product. Many product warranties run from three years to 10 years. You may occasionally come across a lifetime warranty on a product too.
Here are the markers to pay attention to.
Pay attention to the requirements for these warranties. Some manufacturers will include a warranty card with the packaging for you to fill out and return to the company. If you don't fill out the card, you may not be able to get a replacement duvet later on. This is because manufacturers use warranty cards to establish ownership of products, especially pricey ones.
This isn't always the case…
Other companies will work with any customer who comes to them with a damaged product, especially if it was purchased through their website or a popular e-commerce site, such as Amazon. It's easier for them to trace ownership of these products or just to maintain good customer relations by providing a replacement with no questions asked.
Keep an eye out for those guarantees…
Product guarantees are another boon for the online shopper. A guarantee is like saying if you don't like the product for any reason whatsoever you can return it within a certain period after purchase. This includes everything from the stitches tearing to just deciding that the duvet insert is too hot for you.
Not every manufacturer will offer a guarantee. You'll want to double check it before purchase. However, those that do usually give you between 30 to 90 days after purchase to return the duvet or even request your money back.
It takes time and effort, isn’t it?
But try to make it your routine to stay healthy.
In the past, duvet inserts required a little more effort to help keep them clean and fresh. Owners would have to send their bedding to a dry cleaner to have it professionally steam cleaned, otherwise, the filling inside could come out or bunch up. Nobody liked doing that.
Having to send something to the dry cleaner usually means that you wait as long as possible to do it. When you are sitting or sleeping under a duvet that hasn't been cleaned a long time, you'll also be exposed to bacteria, dirt, dander, or even mold and mildew that builds up. It also takes extra effort and money to keep this product maintained, which turned off a lot of potential customers.
Manufacturers got hip to the problem and decided to change things up.
They started using materials that were more durable, and resistant to the agitation of a washing machine. Polyester and microfiber are among the most common materials used in modern duvet inserts. Customers loved these changes so much that the duvet is rapidly becoming the bedding of choice for those who want the feel of luxury without the hassle.
- Basic Cleaning Instructions To Keep In Mind
There are some essential rules.
When you first purchase a duvet, double check that it is machine washable. It should say on the tag that is sewn into the bottom edge. This tag should also give some quick instructions for how to clean the duvet insert. However, if there isn't anything further on the tag, you can't go wrong with the following:
- Remove the duvet cover.
- Wash in cold water on the gentle cycle.
- Use a gentle detergent. Be sparing.
- Tumble dry on low heat for up to two hours. Check every 15 to 30 minutes until dry.
- Sun dry on a clothes line.
It is important to make sure you get the duvet insert completely dry after washing. This can mean leaving it in the dryer for a couple of hours. If the center of the filling is still damp, it may serve as a breeding ground for unwanted mildew and mold.
- How Often To Wash a Duvet?
Well, your preferences may vary when it comes to how often you wash that duvet insert. But, it is generally recommended wash every 2 to 3 months. This helps keep too much dust, skin oils, or even pet dander from building up on the duvet.
If you use the insert without a cover, you may want to wash more often. The same goes if you have a pet who likes to sleep in bed with you. You can also fluff up your duvet by popping it into a dryer for a quick spin once a week or so.
People usually want a high-quality product, but the most luxurious duvet inserts always tend to be more costly than other types of bedding. Sometimes, their budget just can't handle that extra expense. We've all been there.
It is possible to find affordable prices for the duvet of your dream.
- Comparison-Shopping Is the Way To Go
We understand that you don't have a lot of time to research different products, especially something like bedding. However, it is important if you want to find the best insert for your money. We've put together a list of some of the best duvets available online.
All of the pros and cons of each are highlighted so you can see at a glance what each brand offers. You'll be able to quickly compare products without having to visit a lot of different websites, or even head out to shop and be stuck standing there reading the backs of all of the Macy's duvet inserts packages. Not that we have done that…
- Low-Cost Materials and High Quality Construction
Another way to save on your purchase is to take a look at the materials used in its manufacture. Polyester fiber fill is a modern alternative for down feathers, yet, it is also hypoallergenic and long-lasting.
If you search for a duvet insert with a shell made from polyester microfiber or cotton with a high thread count, you'll also get a product that provides that much sought after touchable soft feel.
The construction counts too…
Pay close attention to how the duvet shell is sewn. This will provide hints as to its construction and durability. The shell will ideally feature box stitching across the entire surface to help contain the filling and keep it from clumping or shifting. It should also have piping around the edges to prevent tears from forming.
When you hold the insert up to the light. You should see a decent amount of filling in each of the box stitches. If the compartments are not full or the shell fabric droops slightly, you may find that the duvet insert loses fluffiness with time.
Why this matters?
When you find a well-made insert, you'll know that it will last a long time. You may not save money initially on high quality construction, but the duvet won't need to be replaced as often as a poorly made one. So, you save even more by not having to spend money.
Frequently Asked Questions
The box stitch is a type of topstitching to secure to fairly light pieces of fabric to one another. It increases the durability of the duvet while also helping to keep the filling material evenly distributed. Box stitching looks like a rectangular box stitched through the top and bottom side of the blanket. There are usually box stitches across the entire duvet.
A duvet insert with tabs at the sides and corners is intended to be tied to a duvet cover. When you look inside a duvet cover, you'll see that it has an equal number of loose ties in the same places. You simply tie these in a loose knot around each tab.
Many manufacturers advertise that their duvets have a high thread count, or that they have a microfiber shell. This is because a high thread count is essential to help keep the filling from poking out of the duvet insert.
The fluffy quality of a duvet often comes from loosely connected pieces of fiber or even down feathers. Materials like these are small enough to work their way out of fabric if it isn't tightly woven. Some manufacturers will go a step further by adding a plastic lining to the inside of the shell material to further prevent this from happening.
The question of whether or not you need to use a top sheet with your duvet is one that is up for eternal debate. Many people feel that the top sheet is unnecessary as you are already using a duvet cover. The duvet cover could theoretically serve as protection against oils, hair, and pet dander.
However, it does take extra effort to put the duvet cover back on to the insert. And, these covers are more expensive than a top sheet. Plus, the more frequently you need to wash the duvet cover, the more it will start to wear out. So, you'll end up having to replace it more frequently.
Those who offer the top sheet also feel that it provides an extra layer of protection against stains and hair. This helps keep the duvet cover looking attractive and clean for much longer. The top sheet does add an extra layer to the equation, so if you tend to overheat in the night. It may be uncomfortable with the duvet.
You'll also need to keep talking the top sheet back in every morning when you wake up. With the duvet. All you need to do is shake it out to make your bed.
The competition was a close one, as many of the best duvet inserts in our list achieved a standard level of warmth, fluffiness, and attractiveness. However, we feel the clear winner went above and beyond in luxury, affordability, and options for customers.
The winning duvet insert is the Balichun All Season Luxury Duvet Insert White Goose Down Alternative Comforter.
The Balichun All Season Luxury Duvet Insert was by far the thickest and fluffiest of the products we reviewed. It measures at least 8" thick with 106 oz. of down alternative filling in the oversize king insert. Those who want something a little less hefty also have the option of choosing a thinner summer weight version that only measured 6" to 7" thick.
We can just imagine jumping on that duvet and snuggling down into it after a long, tiring day at the office. The Balichun also has color options available for those who want something other than white, and different size options from a twin to the king size duvet. This product came with a 60-day money back guarantee too. We always like seeing those guarantees.