Blankets are so blah! These days, everyone is moving away from the old, boring kind of bedding, (those flat, sometimes itchy blankets that didn't do much to keep you warm at night) towards fluffy and soft comforters. However, a lot of people are allergic to the traditional goose down filling found in most comforters.
Astonishing, isn't it?
Well, you don't have to put up with watery eyes just to enjoy the feeling of a fluffy comforter. We've put together a top 10 list of allergy-friendly bedding, so you can find the best down alternative comforter for your needs. Check it out!
Check it out!
|Product Name||Image||Filling||Weight||Overall Rating||Details|
|LINENSPA Oversized King Down Alternative Quilted Comforter||Microfiber||7.3 pounds||9.5||Check price|
|Chezmoi Collection King Goose Down Alternative Comforter||Synthetic||5.9 pounds||10||Check price|
|Royal Hotel’s 300 Thread Count King Size Goose Down Alternative Comforter||Goose down alternative||6.5 pounds||8||Check price|
|Superior Solid White Down Alternative Comforter||Down alternative polyfill||8 pounds||8.5||Check price|
|Natural Comfort White Down Alternative Comforter with Embossed Microfiber Shell||Polyester||3.7 pounds||7.5||Check price|
|KingLinen White Down Alternative Comforter Duvet Insert||Poly fiber||5 pounds||8||Check price|
|Superior Reversible Down Alternative Comforter||Down alternative polyfill||8.9 pounds||9||Check price|
|Sleep Restoration Goose Down Alternative Comforter||Down alternative||9.1 pounds||9||Check price|
|Beckham Hotel Collection 1500 Series – Lightweight||Synthetic goose feathers||4.8 pounds||8||Check price|
|California King Size White Down Alternative Comforter||Micro-Polyester||6.8 pounds||8.5||Check price|
LINENSPA Oversized King Down Alternative Quilted Comforter
Feel comfortable and cozy all year round with this allergy friendly, LINENSPA Oversized King Down Alternative Quilted Comforter. This comforter also serves double-duty as a duvet insert, which is great for those who like to change up the look of their bedroom often.
- Allergen-Free Microfiber Material
- Sewn Corner Tabs
- Machine Washable and Dryer Safe
- 3-Year Warranty
Simple, excellent, reliable. Can't get much better!
LINENSPA Oversized King Down Alternative Quilted Comforter is a large comforter that's perfectly sized for big beds. However, you may want to invest in a duvet cover to minimize how often you wash it. Or else, opt for dry cleaning.
- The oversized king comforter that we looked at measures a plentiful 116" X 98". It will cover a California king-sized bed and provide plenty of overhang on a standard king-sized bed.
- LinenSpa also offers a variety of color options in reversible styles. Get a comforter with dark brown on one side and light tan on the other. These are great to flip when the seasons change.
- Pop the machine washable comforter in to clean whenever you want. It's good to go into the dryer too.
- Box-stitching on the cover helps keep the filling evenly spread out and prevents shifting.
- It's a mid-weight comforter, so won't leave you feeling too hot to sleep in warmer climates.
- Snuggle up to the soft feel of the microfiber shell and its fluffy hypoallergenic filling. You won't be left sneezing all night.
- Corner tabs allow you to use this comforter as a duvet insert too. Use a duvet cover to chance up the look of your bedding and to keep the comforter clean.
- The outer shell is a little thin. Some have reported that it can tear in the dryer.
- As a medium weight comforter, it won't be super thick. If you want a comforter that provides a pillow-like feel, move along.
- Some have also reported that threads of the filling material started coming out of the shell after a few washings.
Chezmoi Collection King Goose Down Alternative Comforter
Lots of comforters say they are machine washable, but still, tear or bunch a lot when you try to clean them. If you are searching for something strong, yet soft, turn to the Chezmoi Collection King Goose Down Alternative Comforter. It features piped edges and tough box-stitching that keeps everything in place.
- Machine Wash
- Allergy Free
- Durable Bedding
- 100% Polyester
Chezmoi makes a very strong comforter that is available at an affordable price. This one will last you through many washes without tearing or losing its filling.
- This comforter is made with synthetic, allergy friendly polyester material and filling. It is resistant to mold, mildew, and dust mites.
- If it gets dirty, you can put it into the washing machine on the gentle cycle with cold water. It is also dryer safe on low heat.
- We looked at the king-size comforter, which offers plenty of overhang at 102" x 90".
- It is very well-constructed. The manufacturer used piped edges to prevent tearing and box stitching to keep the filling from shifting.
- You can also use this as a duvet insert with the four corner tabs it offers to anchor a duvet cover.
- The medium weight comforter is warm enough for winter, but light enough not to cause overheating in summer.
- It's not a very thick comforter but is still soft and fluffy to the touch.
- Some find that the polyester shell feels too slick or 'faux' and makes some noise when they shift around at night.
Royal Hotel's 300 Thread Count King Size Goose Down Alternative Comforter
Get ready for a luxury experience with this Royal Hotel's 300 Thread Count King Size Goose Down Alternative Comforter. If you love the look and feel of the bedding used in high-class hotels, you'll like this super soft and cozy comforter.
- 300 Thread Count Cotton Shell
- 750 Plus Fill Power
- Hypo-Allergenic and Allergy-Free
- Washer and Dryer Safe
The Royal Hotel's Goose Down Alternative Comforter is very warm and made to last. A one-inch side gusset gives the filling on the outside edges room to expand. This ensures the comforter can provide even warmth throughout. The piping also strengthens the edges to prevent tearing.
However, those who sleep hot at night might not like it.
- This medium weight comforter feels great to sleep under in a moderate climate. If you sleep cool, but your partner doesn't this is a good compromise.
- The comforter we looked at is made for a king-sized bed measuring 106" x 90". It provides plenty of overhang too.
- People who like the feel of a little weight when sleeping will appreciate the 86 oz. of 100% goose down alternative filling.
- Naturally, the baffle wall box design is used to help keep the filling from shifting around or bunching up.
- As a medium weight comforter, it may not provide the thickness you're looking for in cold climates.
- There are no corner tabs, so you can't use it as a duvet insert.
- The filling appears to be a type of synthetic material. It may not be as breathable and could trap too much heat next to your skin.
- Some also report that the filling makes a lot of noise when they shift in bed.
Superior Solid White Down Alternative Comforter
Sleep soundly with the lofty and quiet Superior Solid White Down Alternative Comforter on your bed. This white comforter is ideal for those who just want comfortable bedding without having to put up with the allergy symptoms caused by goose down. It's also very warm. If you live in a cool climate, you'll never want to wake up when you use this on your bed.
- 100% Microfiber
- Hypoallergenic Fill
- Machine Wash and Dry
Fluffy and soft are the keywords for this Superior Solid White Down Alternative Comforter. It's also durable and appears to handle machine washing well.
- This comforter provides a soft, relaxing sleep with a touchable microfiber shell and poly fiberfill.
- Double-needle stitching is used throughout to prevent tearing of the material. This is a comforter that will last you.
- If you have allergies to goose down, the hypoallergenic filling helps you to sleep peacefully without sneezing.
- You'll feel like you're under a cloud with this thicker comforter featuring full filling. The baffle stitching boxes help create the look and feel of increased fluff in this bedding.
- It contains 77 oz. of filling to provide a nice sensation of weight for those sleeping under the Superior comforter.
- The comforter we looked at is for the full/queen sized mattress. Measuring 88" x 90", It may not offer a lot of overhang on the queen bed.
- It doesn't have any corner tabs, so you won't be able to use it as a duvet insert.
- If you sleep hot or live in a warm climate, this comforter may leave you overheated. But, it's great for the cool season.
Natural Comfort White Down Alternative Comforter with Embossed Microfiber Shell
Break out lightweight option in mild climates with the Natural Comfort White Down Alternative Comforter with Embossed Microfiber Shell. You'll love the feel of its soft microfiber shell, and it's great for those who dislike heavy blankets at night.
- 100% Polyester Filling and Shell
- Machine Washable
- Lightweight Comforter
- The polyester microfiber shell and filling that this comforter uses is dust mite and mold resistant. It's both touchably soft and allergy friendly.
- With a filled weight of just 34 oz., this king-sized comforter won't leave you feeling like there is a royal weight upon your chest.
- You can toss this comforter into the wash whenever and it does well in the dryer too. Just make sure you follow those manufacturer's instructions for the best results.
- As a lightweight comforter, it won't leave you overheated during warmer days. In fact, you can probably leave this on your bed year-round in temperate climates.
- Box-stitching on the surface helps keep the filling evenly distributed for overall warmth and attractiveness.
- The comforter is very thin, so may not appeal to those who want thick, fluffy bedding.
- A few have reported that it is a touch small for a king-size bed. You'll get coverage, but it won't have much overhang.
- Some report that the comforter isn't breathable, so your body heat may build up under the covers.
KingLinen White Down Alternative Comforter Duvet Insert with Conner Tabs
If you are shopping on a budget, you might want to consider the Kinglinen® white down alternative comforter duvet insert full/queen. Available in white with polyester fiberfill, the manufacturer also went above and beyond with the construction of this bedding.
- 100% Poly Fiber Fill Down Alternative
- Machine Wash and Dry
- Double-Stitched Edging
- Stay sneeze free with the dust mite resistant and mold resistant polyester filling in this comforter.
- The queen size comforter we took a look at measured 88" x 88".
- Just pop the KingLinen comforter into the washing machine on cold and tumble dry it on low when you want to clean it. No need to take it to the dry cleaner.
- Box-stitching and double-stitch edging help prevent tearing and bunching of the material. You can trust this comforter to last a few years.
- Conner tabs on the corners allow you to use the comforter like a duvet insert. These aren't traditional loops, but they are a nice compromise without sacrificing the look of a comforter.
- The price is very affordable compared to other brands and types of bedding.
- With an 80-oz. weight, this is a moderate comforter. You may not feel warm enough in colder climates.
- It's a thin comforter. If you like fluffy, this may be a disappointment.
Superior Reversible Down Alternative Comforter
Use the Superior Reversible Down Alternative Comforter on your bed in all seasons, but especially on those cold nights. It provides softness, noiseless movement, and is machine wash and dry. You'll also like the color options here.
- 100% Microfiber
- Down Alternative Polyfill
- Reversible Bedding
- Machine Washable
Lots of color options help this comforter stand out from the other plain white styles on the market. Superior Reversible Down Alternative Comforter is also reversible, so you can pick one color for summer and flip the comforter to show a different color for winter.
- The king size comforter provides some extra overhang on your mattress as it measures 90" x 108".
- The soft microfiber outer shell will make you want to wrap up in the comforter throughout the day. You won't want to leave bed without it.
- It is machine washable and you can dry the comforter on low heat.
- The down alternative polyfill is allergy free. No more sneezing or irritation from dust mites, mold, or goose feathers.
- Superior offers this comforter with reversible color options. Pick from a range of color combinations, including ivory and sage, taupe and sage, or plum and lavender.
- With 100 oz. of filling, this bedding provides warmth and heat for cold nights when you just want to curl up in bed.
- A few people have reported that the filling started working its way out of the comforter within a few days. However, this may be due to a bad batch or a seller issue. Superior has recommended that customers check the comforter tags for their brand name and the name, HOME CITY INC., as soon as it arrives to confirm that it's the correct product.
Sleep Restoration Goose Down Alternative Comforter
Give your room a makeover with the Sleep Restoration Goose Down Alternative Comforter on your bed. It is large, fluffy, and soft to the touch. You'll also be able to pick out your favorite color from their selection of options.
- Machine Wash and Dry
- Reversible Bedding
- Sleep Restoration Satisfaction Guarantee
When you want the look of luxury, this Sleep Restoration Goose Down Alternative Comforter provides with unique diamond pattern box-stitching and a selection of rich colors. It's also very warm and comes with a satisfaction guarantee.
- The attractive top stitching creates a unique diamond-shaped design that adds an extra level of luxury and appeal to this comforter.
- It is reversible, with multiple color options to choose from. For instance, pick out navy and sleet, sage and ivory, or burgundy and grey.
- The king-size comforter we looked at measures 104" x 104". It is also suitable for a California King size bed.
- You can machine wash this comforter on cold, and dry it in the sun or in a dryer on low heat.
- This moderate weight comforter offers plenty of loft and fluff for those who want it.
- Allergy friendly polyester filling resists mold, mildew, and dust mites.
- You'll also get the security of a 30-day customer satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like it, can return it for a replacement.
- They don't appear to have a plain white comforter available. However, there are lots of other colors to enhance your room.
- Some reported that the comforter is too heavyweight and gets too hot at night.
- The comforter may not be as durable as those from other brands. Be sure to treat it gently in the wash.
Beckham Hotel Collection 1500 Series - Lightweight
Pick a new color for your bedding with the Beckham Hotel Collection 1500 Series comforter. You can select a shade for every season, as this is a very affordable comforter. It's also super soft, so you'll want to snuggle up.
Sounds perfect, right?
- Machine Washable
- 100% Polyester Microfiber
- Satisfaction Guarantee
Beckham Hotel Collection 1500 Series comforter is an inexpensive comforter with multiple color options to dress up your bedroom. We also like the 30-day customer satisfaction guarantee.
- Beckham makes this comforter available in a variety of colors, such as gray, white, navy, and sage.
- We looked at the queen size measuring 86" x 88", but it could also provide plenty of overhang on a full-size bed.
- Mold, dust mite, and mildew resistant, those with allergies will sleep better under this comforter.
- Box-stitching is used on the top to help keep the filling evenly distributed for warmth and comfort.
- It's machine washable and dryer safe on low heat. You can also dry it in the sun on a clothes line.
- It comes with a 30-day customer satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like the comforter you can return it for a replacement.
- The comforter is not as thick and fluffy as it appears in the photos.
- The microfiber shell is thin, and some have reported that it tears easily in the washing machine.
California King Size White Down Alternative Comforter
If you are tired of cheap comforters that don't last, consider this California King Size White Down Alternative Comforter from SheetsnThings. It is strong, well-made, and offers a tightly woven 300 thread count microfiber shell.
- 300 Thread Count
- 100% Microfiber Cover
- Machine Washable
- The 300-thread count, microfiber shell is strong, soft, and won't let any filling escape. It's also stain and water resistant, which is nice if you like to eat in bed.
- The 600-fill power and 60 oz. of filling help make this comforter lofty and warm. It is ideal for year-round warmth in a temperate climate.
- It's also breathable, so you won't feel the need to push the blankets off in the middle of the night due to overheating.
- If you do get a stain on it or just want to freshen it up, just pop the comforter into the washing machine.
- You can also use this as a duvet insert. It comes with four corner tabs to secure a duvet cover.
- Measuring 106" x 90", the comforter is large enough for a king-size and California king-size bed.
- The hypoallergenic filling is dust mite resistant and will help watery eyes and runny nose at bay.
- A box-stitch construction keeps the filling from bunching or clumping together.
- While the comforter offers nice overhang on the sides, some feel that it's not long enough to completely cover the bottom of a mattress.
- This bedding is lightweight, so may not offer the warmth needed in very cold climates.
Why Should You Choose Down Alternative Comforters?
Imagine how hard it is to sleep at night when you're suffering from allergic symptoms. Red eyes, runny nose, sneezing, and even coughing plague people who are allergic to their comforters.
Does this seem like you?
If you are sensitive to goose feathers, a down alternative comforter is a great choice. Know something else?
Technically, people aren't allergic to the down. There are actually allergic to the dust mites, mold, and mildew that these feathers attract like crazy. Yes, that goose down comforter is full of unwanted microorganisms. No matter how often you take it to the dry cleaner, it will still contain dirt, mold, and continue attracting more dust mites afterwards.
On the plus side, alternative materials like polyester fiber fill are great for people who have breathing problems, allergies, and even skin issues. This synthetic material doesn't provide food for dust mites and other microorganisms. It resists stains and dirt, while still being breathable.
What else could you want?
How about a comforter that lasts years without losing its fluff or coziness? Goose feathers will eventually break down and start to decay. Your traditional comforter can lose its fluff, start clumping, and feathers can even work their way through the outer shell.
On the other hand, polyester doesn't break down. When well cared for it will remain fluffy and contained within a tough, but soft microfiber shell for years.
How To Buy a Down Comforter
It's easy enough to buy a down comforter online or in the store. Before you start shopping, it is a good idea to decide what your needs are in this type of bedding.
And guess what?
Comforters are meant to be used alone or with a top sheet. They can also double as a duvet insert, especially if the manufacturer has attached loops or tabs to the corners. So, if you are at all considering a duvet, you'll want to decide if you'd like a comforter with tabs instead.
Comforters also come in a variety of weights, ideally for different seasons, such as heavy weight for winter and lightweight for summer. Of course, an all-season comforter that is a medium weight is perfect to keep on your bed year-round.
But, that's not all!
You'll also want to decide what kind of color or design you want on your comforter. Many companies offer color options to help match your comforter with the rest of your bedding or your bedroom décor. A few are reversible, with different colors on each side.
Once you have the purpose of the comforter firmly in mind, you'll be able to start asking the right questions to find the best down alternative comforter for your needs.
What You Need To Know As a Down Comforter User
Don't you just hate it when you plop down a chunk of change on a down comforter that doesn't last? Or worse, leaves you shivering at night?
Bedding is a very important part of our daily lives. Most people sleep an average of 7 to 9 hours every day. Almost everyone wants to sleep underneath a cozy, soft blanket, duvet, or comforter.
If you're in agreement, then there are a few things you need to know to make an intelligent purchasing decision. Because, we've all stood in the store aisle staring at shelf after shelf of bedding, unable to make heads or tails of things, like fill power, goose down, and box-stitching.
Well, here are a few things you need to know about down comforters:
- What kind of material does it contain?
- What weight is the comforter?
- Is it machine washable?
- What is the fill power?
- What size is the comforter?
- Does it come in a microfiber down alternative 3-piece comforter set?
Don't worry, if you don't know these things. They are easy to learn about and a few of the answers to these questions may even be found below.
Not all care labels are easy to understand. In fact, you may have spent a good amount of time trying to decipher the images on your comforter's care tag to no avail.
Who hasn't been there?
Hopefully, we can ease some of your translation difficulties with these brief explanations of the most common images you are likely to see.
- Dry-Cleaning Only: This may be represented by an open circle. These kinds of tags indicate that you can only take a comforter to the dry cleaner. It's not washer or dryer safe.
- Tumble Dry: Tags with a solid black circle usually indicate the comforter is dryer safe on no heat. If it is an empty circle with a single small dot in the center, this means tumble dry on low heat.
- Line Dry: Tags with a single horizontal curved or straight line on them usually indicate that this comforter can only be dried on a clothesline. Just remember, it's not dryer safe.
- No Bleach: If you see a black triangle with two X-lines sticking out through it, this means don't use bleach. It's either not beach safe or the materials have not been tested with bleach by the manufacturer.
- Machine Wash, Gentle Cycle: When you see what looks like a cup with water inside of it, this means the comforter is washable. If there is one dot inside the cup, this indicates that you should use cold water. Two horizontal lines underneath the cup indicate that you should use the gentle cycle.
How To Measure Comforter Warmth
It's a warm summer night. The comforter that you loved in the store is now way too hot to sleep under. You push it off in frustration, resigning yourself to another sweaty night.
We've all done it.
But, you don't have to put up with uncomfortable bedding. The answer lies in knowing how to select your comforter based on its weight and fill power.
There are three basic comforter weights, lightweight, medium weight, and heavyweight. Each category refers to how much filling is placed inside and the comforter's loft or thickness. A lightweight comforter doesn't contain much material or thickness, while a heavy comforter may be stuffed full of filling and have several inches of loft.
Wait, there's more!
You may also see a rating called Fill Power used to describe comforters you research. This measures the quality of goose down but sometimes refers to other types of filling. Fill power indicates how fluffy a material is and can denote its insulating ability. Here are the standards to keep an eye out for:
- 300 To 400 Fill Power - Low-Quality
- 400 To 450 Fill Power - Medium Quality
- 500 To 550 Fill Power - Good Quality
- 550 To 750 Fill Power - High Quality
- 750+ Fill Power - Excellent Quality
A comforter with a higher fill power rating has more insulating ability compared to a comforter with a lower power rate. For instance, a 300-fill power comforter would be a poor choice for winter, while a 750-fill power comforter should get you through the chilliest of nights.
This doesn't necessarily mean that a high fill power comforter will be heavy. The more a material can expand, or the fluffier it is, the less of it that is needed to fill up the comforter shell. So, some very high-quality insulating fillers can feel very lightweight.
Care and Maintenance
Whether you own a down comforter or a down alternative comforter, there are a few things you need to know about its maintenance. You may not want to hear this, but it's important to pay attention to the care instructions on the tag.
- Caring for Goose Down
Not so surprisingly, goose down comforters are a little more finicky than polyester or another synthetic fill. Feathers can break down very easily in the washing machine. The clump up and lose that oh so desired fluff. How can you stop this?
Well, you'll need to take your goose down comforter to the dry cleaner from time to time. Otherwise, keep it clean and dry to ensure its longevity.
- Caring for Down Alternative Filler
There are a wide variety of down alternative materials, but the most common is 100% polyester fiber fill, such as is found in the Caribbean Joe down alternative comforter.
A well-made comforter containing this filler can be cleaned in the washing machine and even the dryer. You'll just need to put the washer on the gentle cycle with cold water and tumble dry that comforter on low heat.
Want to know a secret?
Some people like to place a few tennis balls in the dryer with the comforter to prevent the material inside from bunching up. The tennis balls bounce around inside the drum, impacting the comforter and breaking apart any clumps.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are you interested in learning more about down alternative comforters? Do you have just a few more questions in mind before making that purchase? Well, we've put together a list of the most frequently asked questions about these comforters.
Hopefully, you'll find the answers you seek.
Comforters and other types of bedding follow mattress sizing plus about 6 to 8 inches of overhang on all sides. This is usually displayed on the packaging or mentioned in the description before you purchase a product. The standard sizes can vary from brand to brand, but are usually close to the following:
- Twin: 66" x 88"
- Full: 81" x 86"
- Queen: 86" x 96"
- King: 102" x 82"
- California King: 107" x 96"
Yes, you can. Many comforters actually have corner tabs or loops that allow you to tie them into a duvet cover. They may not be as thick as a traditional duvet insert, but it's a nice option to have in your bedding.
You can usually check the tag to find out the care instructions for your comforter. However, if your comforter is machine washable, it's usually dryer safe too. For instance, the Sleep Philosophy Benton 2-Layer Down-Alternative Comforter can be tumble dried on low heat. You may also be able to hang your comforter outside on a clothesline to dry in the sun.
We looked at ten different types of down alternative comforters. In the process, we compared the price, weight, material, and construction in the search for the best down alternative comforter.
Our choice is the Chezmoi Collection King Goose Down Alternative Comforter. This product was medium weight and inexpensive. It also fulfilled the purpose of a down alternative product very well. It used hypoallergenic fiber fill material and the outer shell was well sealed with box-stitching and piping along the edges.